Name:Kona Club
Type:bar
Street:4401 Piedmont Ave
City:Oakland
State:CA
Zip:94611
Phone:

Description:
A new tiki bar from the owner of Club Mallard in Albany and Thalassa in Berkeley.

[ Edited by: thejab 2005-10-26 11:58 ]

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-01-06 17:39 ]

Tiki Tiki by ? Day!!!

Might be X-Mas do an un-forseen ABC paper trail.

Will let you know when, when we know.

Tiki Tiki!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-11-01 08:29 ]

... got pix?...

Is this currently the Kings X?? What's the deal???
Really? by Thanksgiving???

we'll really have something to be thankful for!
mrs. pineapple

On 2005-10-29 20:34, mrs. pineapple wrote:

mrs. pineapple

Ummm. You just had a kid Mrs. P !!!

A new / old Tiki Bar in your neck of the woods should be 2nd on your list for thanks.

Aloha Bros,

Pics after we finish the build out. ( Sta-Put!)

A little secret. ( this is actually going to be the owners "office." So, who ever wants to join him there, they'll be welcome. Also, I heard that Trader Vic is resting near by. Good Tiki Karma!)

tiki tiki!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-10-30 17:55 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-11-01 08:30 ]

On 2005-10-29 21:13, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2005-10-29 20:34, mrs. pineapple wrote:

mrs. pineapple

Really by Thanksgiving!!!!

Ummm. You just had a kid Mrs. P !!!

A new Tiki Bar in your neck of the woods should be 2nd on your list for thanks.

Aloha Bros,

Pics after the 20th. ( Sta-Put!)

A little secret. ( this is actually going to be the owners "office." So, who ever wants to join him there, they'll be welcome. Also, I heard that Trader Vic is resting near by. Good Tiki Karma!)

tiki tiki!!!

It occured to me AFTER I wrote that, that maybe I DID have a little something to be thankful for already, but I didn't get a chance to go back and edit because my little cornucopia was wanting to eat...again. Something in this house runneth over :wink:

We went over there yesterday, and it's still the the Kings X, and they had a halloween party last night, we were confused. There is an AWESOME Icecream place on Piedmont Ave. a few blocks away, yummmmmmmm.

Next Question: Will Robin be bartending? She rocks!

xoxox
mrs. P

H

Next Question: Will Robin be bartending? She rocks!

More than that -- she's been asked to determine the drink menu! The scorpion she served me the other night was one of the best I've had (I'm ordinarily not a scorpion fan). It all bodes quite well so far....

On 2005-10-30 09:27, Mrs. pineapple wrote:

We went over there yesterday, and it's still the the Kings X, and they had a Halloween party last night, we were confused.

Closed for renovations from the 7th to the 20th-ish of Novembre', Hombre's.

p.s. All you bay area tiki freaks (and others), no looky looing during those dates!!!!. Gonna be in the lab with Igor creating a new monster!!!

Rev-Frankin-Bam-BOO-Ben-Stein.

******* UPDATE *******

Might be a slight delay ( 1-14 days) for the transformation. Let's hope not but if there is, there is. Still, there will be a new/old tiki bar in the bay area soon! Send those positive vibrations the Kona Club way so we can get rolling on the build out.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-11-01 08:36 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - fixed bbcode - 2005-11-03 17:21 ]

On 2005-10-30 18:14, RevBambooBen wrote:

p.s. All you bay area tiki freaks (and others), no looky looing during those dates!!!!. Gonna be in the lab with Igor creating a new monster!!!

Oooookay, but we were gonna bring you some of that Ice Cream...
it's reeeeallly good...

On 2005-10-30 19:49, mrs. pineapple wrote:

On 2005-10-30 18:14, RevBambooBen wrote:

Oooookay, but we were gonna bring you some of that Ice Cream...
it's reeeeallly good...

Mrs. P-

See the update above. YOU bettah eat that ice cream so it won't melt.

Let's hope the paper trail is a short one. :)

Update***

Back on track!!!

Viva La Kona Club !!!

Is it Kona Time yet?

when will it open???? i need a zombie

hopefully around Pearl Harbor Day.

T

Hey...that would be great timing for us. We've got a gathering on that weekend that will be looking for a nice bit of rummy goodness.

The Pineapples were privy to a sneak peek of the soon-to-be world famous Kona Club. All I can say is that we had our minds (and eyes) completely blown - Ben & Al have outdone themselves in spectacular fashion. This is no "decorate a wall or two and hang some lamps" job. This is full-on, every square inch covered in bamboo, tapa, lauhala, or wood carving hardcore tiki! They casually refer to it as the "West Coast Mai Kai", and they are not exaggerating.

The place is absolutely stunning and might be the sole reason we decide to never leave the Bay Area, good schools for our kid be-damned! Picture taking was taboo, but if you've seen Tiki Lee's posts, you get a little taste of what a tiki wonderland this place will be. There are many cool details that are best left as surprises, but rest assured that no tiki lover will be disappointed. With Robin creating the drink menu, this place should become a world-wide destination for all lovers of tiki, and a dream come true for us locals. These guys are doing it right, and I can't wait!

T

*On 2005-11-25 10:33, Tiki-bot wrote:*This is full-on, every square inch covered in bamboo, tapa, lauhala, or wood carving hardcore tiki! They casually refer to it as the "West Coast Mai Kai", and they are not exaggerating.

Am I dreaming? Hooray! Can't wait for the opening!

TM

I hear they're gonna have carved tikis for stools around the bar! Hmmmm.....

not just cause I built the sukka..... but, this is the perfect example of doing it right!

You all are gonna Freak Out when you sees it.

opening aroundthe 17th-ish , so melekalikimaka to da max!!!!

p.s. we;ve got blisters on our fingerz!!!

On 2005-11-29 08:26, RevBambooBen wrote:
opening around the 17th-ish , so melekalikimaka to da max!!!!

You Wanker! Are you telling me I have to change my Christmas family vacation for the Kona Mai Kai West? (Because you know I will) :D

On 2005-11-29 08:26, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s. we;ve got blisters on our fingerz!!!

Thank you Lennon.

M

I propose a Tiki Central gathering when it opens! Who is up for joining me?

We're in, we need too drop little pineapple off with his auntie, so the sooner we know a firm date, the better. This is going to be a sleepover night for him :wink: The little preview we saw on Thanksgiving was pretty amazing, and I know how loosely the word amazing is thrown around on TC, but really, AMAZING! Ben doesn't toot his own horn, so you know if he says so, it is so!

The Pineapples

... west coast kona club... east coast mai kai... sounds like a tiki gang war's a brewin' - who be bestin' who... coast vs coast challenge of the gin blossoms... throw down suckuz'...

Count me in too, mrsmiley! Always wanted to see a Bamboo Ben project live and in person! Wow... our own "Mai Kai" within driving distance from Trader Vic's and the Conga Lounge. Can't wait.

On 2005-12-01 08:02, tikiwinebear wrote:
Wow... our own "Mai Kai" within driving distance from Trader Vic's and the Conga Lounge.

Yup...The Oakland-Bay Area is on it's way to becoming the Tiki-Mecca it once was!!

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2005-12-01 09:26 ]

T

I'm definitely up for the gathering.

Rumor has it that the 17th is the opening day. Just a rumor as of now. But, you never know.

Rumor also has it thet Billy Joe from Green Day owns the place.

Hmmmm.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-12-07 01:15 ]

M

On 2005-12-07 01:12, RevBambooBen wrote:
Rumor has it that the 17th is the opening day. Just a rumor as of now. But, you never know.

I propose a meeting of us Tiki Central folks for that day!
When the date is confirmed, I will post more info. ZAZZ!!!

On 2005-11-25 10:33, Tiki-bot wrote:
The Pineapples were privy to a sneak peek of the soon-to-be world famous Kona Club.

...and will have a surprise for y'all in the near future.

Picture taking was taboo, but if you've seen Tiki Lee's posts, you get a little taste of what a tiki wonderland this place will be.

...The funny thing is that Tiki Lee never made it over to check it out( and I never got to his hut to finish his closet, doh!). He got sick and was down and out. But Pete Doctor and Mark Walsh came by and gave it two thumbs up. It's a drag that they won't be able to make the opening either do to a Pixar Art Exhibit at some place in NY called the MET?? opening next week. But, I'm sure that they all will be hanging out there in the future.

Hope you all enjoy the fruits of our labor in the "near future."

K

I dropped off some lamps at the Kona tonight, and I must say, HOT SH#$, this place is beyond amazing! I tripped over my chin the entire time I was there.

T

See this thread for opening info:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17650&forum=4&0

Can't wait to see Kahaka's lamps. I'm so happy you were able to do some for the room(s).

does any one know if its opening on the 17th

On 2005-12-14 22:29, trader jess wrote:
does any one know if its opening on the 17th

What about the above link that says "opening on the 17th" has you confused?

See pics of the club from last night's preview party:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17671&forum=4&0

no it doesnt have me freakin confuse it did say rummmmor. so i wasnt sure.

G

I've been to Kona Club!!!

My partner and I were driving by, and saw a hand-scrawled "Open" sign on the door. Hoping beyond hope, we walked in, and were amazed. This place is awe-some! A giant volcano hangs above the bar (and they made it "erupt" while we were there--a really cool effect). Blowfish lamps, bamboo everywhere, well placed spears, and nice touches all around.

The bar is quite large--a long bar, high tables and chairs in the main area. A side room with a pool table (perhaps to cater to ex-King's ex visitors?) There is a second, larger room with many 4-person tables. The staff was friendly, and the bartender made us two very delicious Mai Tai's. Apparently they don't have the glassware yet, but it promises to be quite authentic. The bartender said there would be flaming drinks in the near future.

There were many large Tiki statues, paintings, and details. The jukebox wasn't really playing exotica music or the like, but it didn't really matter.

All in all, a great new tiki bar just steps away from Trader Vic's final resting place (he's buried next door!)

See you all there...

On 2005-12-15 16:43, trader jess wrote:
No it doesn't have me freakin confused it did say "rumor." So, I wasn't sure.

Aloha Trader Jess,

Sorry for the confusion. The Grand Opening will be on 12/17 starting around 6-ish. Dancing by http://www.Mahea.com will be happening later in the eve on Sat. I just found out today while I was there working that they are open tonight, tomorrow night and every night after that too. I guess it's kinda the old school Hawaiian kinda way of doing things. Cruz on by and check it out this Sat., introduce yourself to me and my wife and we'll buy you a drink.

Cheers,

Bamboo Ben

p.s. GM,

Glad you liked it. There is more to come in the future.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-12-15 23:12 ]

whooo hoo,cant wait i will be there tommorow night

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 5:16 PM

Anybody know the hours for the weekend? I wanna stop by Sat. during the day!

Quick trip report:

last time I was there, there was a TV installed over the bar, blazing away and ruining the lighting. Ugh.

T

On 2006-01-06 17:16, KAHAKA wrote:
Anybody know the hours for the weekend? I wanna stop by Sat. during the day!

That article about the Kona in the paper recently said it opens 11am every day. If that's wrong, blame the press.

Went to Oakland's Kona Club, mixed feelings
Message body: I had the unfortunate experience of having to buy a stereo recently. The pimpled sales geek went on and on how a system is only as good as it's weakest component; the cheap speakers can't handle the power from a good amp.

So I found myself in Oakland this last week, armed with a map looking for the Kona Club.

There is no sign outside. The owner never changed the old "King's X" sign from it's old incarnation.

Inside, it is beautiful. The craft work of putting it all together is quite obvious. The volcano behind the bar is a kick.

even the crossbeams in the rafters have been tikified* . Just taking in the ambiance was worth the trip.

However, my tiki experience isn't complete without a nice drink.

This is where things go awry. There are no mugs. There are no bowl. The bartender, as friendly as he was didn't have a menu, and instead handed me an employee drink recipe book and had me pick from there. The wife was served a drink in a chimney, me, my POG+vodka in a martini glass.

I hope they work out their kinks, because I really wanted to enjoy the whole experience, and get rid of the Eminem on the jukebox.

The thing to understand about the Kona Club is that it is what it is. The owner, Doug Miller, wasn't trying to open a Polynesian Pop tiki bar in the vintage style. He and his family live in Hawaii half the year, his wife is very active in hula, and he's been collecting related artwork, some of it vintage Poly-Pop, for a very long time. He likes Poly-Pop tiki, he likes traditional Hawaiian stuff, and he likes owning & running bars. This bar is a combination of all three of those. He's smart enough to know that he wants to cater to his already-established bar clientele, the people who have made him very, very successful, the people who keep Club Mallard packed night after night. That's why you'll hear a large variety of stuff on the jukebox, and why beer outsells cocktails, and why cocktails are very hit-and-miss. The fact is, it's a very successful formula for him, and it's the sort of bar he wanted. It's his bar, and he loves it, and it's doing great business, which is awesome. The reason it isn't quite right as a vintage-style tiki bar is that it's not supposed to be one.

Is it the sort of place I would want to hang out regularly? No. But that's okay, I'm not Doug's target audience. It would be silly of me to hold that against the place. I think it's gorgeous, and it's easy to say "argh! if only!", but it's not my bar.

Re: tiki mugs & serveware -- those suckers walk right out the door. I think it's neat when places offer a mug for sale that customers can have their drink served in, but unless you overcharge for drinks to make up for the inevitable loss of mugs, they just aren't practical for serving out of. Of the places I've been that offer the best-tasting drinks, many don't serve in tiki mugs -- Tiki-Ti leaps to mind. If it's important to you, try bringing your own and ask to have your drink served in it.

T

Robertiki - There are already 2 threads discussing Kona Club, one in the Locating Tiki Forums, and one in the Creating Tiki Forums, in both threads people have been providing their reviews. Perhaps you might post your observations in one of those threads.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17039&forum=2&hilite=kona
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17473&forum=7&hilite=kona

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-02-27 11:55 ]

What I don't get is that nowadays people seem to expect and DEMAND that Tiki bars serve their cocktails in Tiki mugs! Totally forgotten is the fact that four years ago there was not ONE new Tiki bar to be found, that five years ago there were NO Tiki mugs being manufactured at all (except by Bosko). Holden has since worked wonders with Tiki Farm in spreading Tiki culture awareness, AND offering it at an affordable level, but for many the investment in decorating the place alone taps them out. There was a TIKI DESERT out there for ten/twenty years! Be grateful for ANY honest attempt at opening a new Tiki Bar!

It's like taking the Book of Tiki and saying "Hey, you guys don't have a waterfall!"
Is there any awareness that 90% of the Tiki temples in the book did not exist anymore when it was published, and now that it's closer to 98% now?

T

Holden may be able to confirm this, I believe mugs for the Kona have been ordered.

It's just that Doug operates Hawaiian style: it will get done, no worries, hey, look at that sunset!

The Kona Club (and all Doug's bars) have superb service, fresh citrus, and skilled bartenders. Bring a recipe, and if they have the ingredients they will make it! How many bars do that for you, and with a smile?

As far as music goes, there are at least a dozen Hawaiian CDs on the jukebox. Frankly, I don't know much about contemporary Hawaiian music, but if Eminem is bothering you (as it would me) why don't you play something else on the jukebox?

I have been a tiki bar purist in the past (read my old posts on Taboo Cove), but I am thrilled to have the Kona Club in my area, and always enjoy myself (perhaps a bit too much!) when I visit it.

T

On 2006-02-27 14:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
five years ago there were NO Tiki mugs being manufactured at all (except by Bosko)

...and Dynasty, who did, and still do, keep some of the classic Orchids of Hawaii styles alive at a very affordable price.

Cheap enough, in fact, that I think that occasional theft aside, they are a very viable alternative for those bar owners who aren't afford to use Tiki Farms frequently astounding (but yes, more expensive) products.

Humu's comments justifying not using mugs because of the theft factor makes me sad. I wonder if this is more prevalent now than in the 1960s, when virtualy all Tiki bars used Tiki mugs?

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies