Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hukilau 2003

Pages: 1 32 replies

Start swimming you amaamas!

The Menehune's are placing the final stones on their fishpond (website), but have bestowed on me the honor of throwing the first official pebble in the Tiki Central lagoon concerning Hukilau 2003.

(splash) The 2nd annual Hukilau is set for the weekend of Friday, June 27 and Saturday, June 28, 2003, at what the BOT calls the finest remaining example of Polynesian pop culture in the United States, the legendary Mai-Kai Restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. (ripple, ripple, ripple)

According to Tiki-Bre, a block of rooms have been reserved for our group at the Oceanfront Holiday Inn--Ft Lauderdale Beach (954 563 5961 or 1 800 HOLIDAY).
Friday night's mega party will be in the hotel ballroom which overlooks the ocean. On Saturday, the Mai-Kai is opening one hour early for our group. We have the run of the place until normal opening time, then everybody who has arranged dinner reservations will eat and watch the show.
People who prefer to just drink and have appetizers can hang out at the bar.
After the 1st show the Hukilau will continue in a private room at the Mai-Kai with more entertainment. Everyone must arrange their own hotel reservations and Mai-Kai dinner reservations, mentioning Hukilau at both places when making reservations. The hotel is giving all Hukilau attendees a special rate of $79 a night which can be applied a couple days before and after the 27th and
28th. It is important to encourage everyone to make the hotel reservations early (even now) because it will sell out fast.

Okay, all together now...

"Oh we're going to a hukilau
A huki huki huki huki hukilau
Everybody loves the hukilau
Where the laulau is the kaukau at the luau
We throw our nets out into the sea
And all the amaama come a swimming to me
Oh, we're going to a hukilau
A huki huki huki hukilau

What a beautiful day for fishing
That old Hawaiian way
Where the hukilau nets are swishing
Down in old Laie bay"

Hukilau - by Jack Owens

A thread will be started in the Events Forum once the offical website is up.

Mai Kai?!

I'm in.

S

I'm going to a hukilau...A huki huki huki huki hukilau!!!

This is what i've been waiting for! I'll see you all there!

Wild hula dancers couldn't keep me away from getting to FInally see the Mai Kai, and with this gang, of all people! And that's my birthday weekend (my, um, 19th, give or take a decade or 2), so I will feel no qualms about indulging all my gift shop impulses! See y'all there!

I throw my net out into the sea
all the homma homma come swimming to me

I missed it this year, no way I'm missing next years!!!

P

RATS!

I'll be out of the country then. I don't return until the 29th. That would be a great chance to see the Mai Kai since it is not looking good for that when I am in Florida next week. It's like 140 miles from Melbourne to Ft. Lauderdale. I doubt I'll have enough time. Still going to try, though.

KK

Grab the kava bowl & falernum! I'm goin' to a Hukilau...AGAIN! Well I never been to Mai Kai, but I kinda' like the music.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Nov 17, 2002 2:43 AM

I have it marked on the callendar... it's around the same time I'm goin to the Phillipines for vacation though. Looks like I have to toss a coin. Never been to Florida.

I might be in.

R
Rain posted on Sun, Nov 17, 2002 11:23 AM

Holy Hawaiian Idols, Batman!

Hm. That's all I can think of to say.
This should be done more often, methinks. :)

I'll try to make it this time, all the way from NYC.

A

We're in.
Mahalo,
Al

S

Manic Cat,
You won't be alone from the Big Apple. At Hukilau 2002, some folks came down from NYC. Later I found out that a couple of them were people I knew well from Knoxville and they had no idea I was behind the event and we never saw each other there! But then again, it was all a big blur to me anyway...

T

I'm there!

S

I know folks are already making their plans for the coming year, so I wanted to get this to everyone's attention again. The site will be up in January with all the exciting details and suprises, but for those like Tiki Bob, etc. who are already booking for summer, here is what you need to know.

Dates: June 27-28th
Hotel: Holiday Inn Oceanfront, Fort Lauderdale

Friday party at the hotel with bands, vendors, drinks, food (tentatively) and more.
Saturday we gather at the Mai Kai and enjoy the place and the dinner show.

We have a $79 rate that is good before and after the event. Mention the Hukilau.

The hotel has 240 rooms, but there are 2 other reunions that weekend, and the rooms are first come first serve. So, the sooner, the better for your reservation. The Mai Kai show seats 280, so, again, the sooner you reserve the better.

Mention the Hukilau when making all reservations:
Hotel phone 954-563-5961 or 1-800-HOLIDAY
Mai Kai phone 954- 563-3272 ext. 1

Should be there too.

You know...I've been thinking...Wild hula dancers COULD probably keep me from going....

T

Count me in!

S

James,
Do you think your book will be out at that time? That would be great timing!

Woo-Hoo! Just made my reservation for the Mai Kai!
yippee!

I am just working out the details now but looks like I might be able to make it... we would be driving down from Toronto... aieee!
Trying to find out the availability of Crystal Chandeleir aka Alexis. This could be good.

I am itching itching itching to go... I just know I'll regret it if I miss it. Florida's a looooong and pricey trip from these parts, so it's gonna take some serious salesmanship on the home front. I might have to take a second job to justify it. Anyone need any database work????

Sounds like a blast (from the past!)!

I know that about 15 of my website's members are looking into attending! And what's more, it's only a drive away!

Mahalo Plenty!
http://www.tikitackett.com

We're booked! Planning to bring a vanload of my carvings to sell on the advice of Formikahini and a few other friends. Starting work on a pair of Maori meeting house dividing panels next, with stacked tikis. Those will take about two weeks to get done. I'm also gonna bring some various war clubs, atakaras, spears, New guinea spirit boards and hooks, etc. Also if I can get my hands on the supply of poplar logs I am expecting I will have 4 or 5 nice big 4 or 5 foot tikis (said with great hope). If there is any other stuff you good folks would like to see (from little old me :) )on your wall let me know early and I will try to get photos to work with and get you something going. I'm gonna try to keep the prices cool, too, bearing in mind decent wood and days of labor do cost somewhat. I can't wait to finally visit the world's big one! I have heard the show is incredible! The hotel looks quite swank as well...what say somebody applies for a burn permit and we have a beach bonfire Friday night late?

We were thinking of having Friday nights festivities on the beach but we didn't want to risk it raining. We thought we should secure the indoor spot while we could. Since the city owns the beaches, we would have to apply for permits and all that jazz and the chances for us to serve alcohol would be slim.

Actually, the entire banquet room where the Friday night's show will be held faces out to the ocean. It will be a beautiful view we all can enjoy.

Oops... I forgot there was a show that night!

D

Is there still rooms available? I've gotta get with my man and see if he'ld like to go.

TB

You bet.!!

You can book rooms either by calling 1-800-HOLIDAY or by calling hotel directly at 954-563-5961. Either way, be sure to mention that you're with the Hukilau group so you can get that $79/night price.

You may want to make your Mai Kai reservations too. Their number is 1-800-262-4524. Once again, mention that you're with the Hukilau group so that you'll be seated with the other Hukilau folks!

D

Thanks for all the info...much appreciated

"Hold on to your [straw} hats!"

I just came back from a new year's in Fort Lauderdale, and one night I dragged about 12 of my buddies to Mai Kai for dinner and the show....I can not begin to tell you how amazing it was. Of course the service and food should be easily written off when you are in the midst of such a mecca! The decor, the grounds, the concoctions. From the intial rumble of the wood bridge beneath the wheels of your vehicle as you drive into the parking lot to the amazing black velvet wahines everywhere....

What's more, the show is beyond belief! I was brought to Stendahl-esque ecstasy with every wiggle and shake. We were sitting so close the seashells were flying off the costumes at us!

My friends are all converts now; this is the kinda place that really justifies our little "society"!

I am booking my tickets now. Ahhhhh....

Thanks for that great report InkyLouise! I'm sure everyone is going to have a tremendous time at Hukilau 2003!

We can't wait to meet more Tiki Centralites!

S

Believe it or not, we got an inquiry from Australia about 2003. Word is spreading!

I just made my reservations. My wife and I are really looking forward to this.

T

Reservation have been made. Now comes the difficult part, the wait!

Tikirob

Pages: 1 32 replies