Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sadly, Elvis left the building 28 years ago today

Pages: 1 13 replies

28 years ago today... ELVIS HAD LEFT THE BUILDING

Random Elvis fact of the day:
Elvis performed in San Diego at the Old San Diego Sports Arena on 4/4-5/56 and 6/6/56. The new Sports Arena was used for shows on 11/15/70, 4/26/73 and 4/24/76. San Diego was also the site of an early TV performance on the Milton Berle Show which was broadcast from the USS Hancock, anchored there.

In Summation:
His talent, good looks, sensuality, charisma, and good humor endeared him to millions, as did the humility and human kindness he demonstrated throughout his life. Known the world over by his first name, he is regarded as one of the most important figures of twentieth century popular culture. Elvis died at his Memphis home, Graceland, on August 16, 1977.

Alot of people know exactly where they were when they heard JFK was killed (I wasn't born yet). Or when John Lennon was shot (the Beatles, Bleck!) not me, my where were you when moment is when I found out about Elvis's death. My best friend Kathy and I were dancing in the living room like 11 year old girls LOVE to do, listening to KC and the Sunshine Band's "Keep it Coming Love" (our favorite song at the time) play on the radio when it was interrupted for a news flash about Elvis. We thought it had to be a bad joke so we turned on the TV. There was Jerry Dunphy (a local newscaster) saying it was true. Jerry wouldn't lie.
We turned the tv off, turned the radio back on and continued with our dancing.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-08-16 10:09 ]

In 1972 & 1977, Elvis played the Long Beach Arena. He stayed at the Edgewater Hyatt House which is now the Seaport Marina Hotel on 2nd Street and Pacific Coast Highway.

http://www.seaportmarinahotel.com

Hmmm, just so happens there is a tiki event in Long Beach in August. Might be a fun place to stay

http://www.alfredosbeachclub.com/tiki_festival.htm

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15868&forum=4&15

"Elvis is everywhere; Elvis is still the King"

-Mojo Nixon

... elvis died fat, drunk and loaded on dope... people probably did not treat him all that well...

at least there is an el vez!

man you should see what happened to the groucho marx-lovin Elvis-hater in the Rob Zombie movie "Devil's Rejects..."

I wish I had that movie script and could quote it - priceless!

On 2005-08-16 11:30, dangergirl299 wrote:
man you should see what happened to the groucho marx-lovin Elvis-hater in the Rob Zombie movie "Devil's Rejects..."

...probably will never have time to see the movie, so, in as much detail as possible, what happened...? thanks in advance...

On 2005-08-16 12:13, alohabros wrote:

On 2005-08-16 11:30, dangergirl299 wrote:

...probably will never have time to see the movie, so, in as much detail as possible, what happened...? thanks in advance...

to the best of my memory, and deleting all the swear words; the cops realized the serial killer family named themselves after characters from a groucho marx movie; so they called in the local movie critic, who is a groucho marx fan, for insight. the Marx fan went off on how cool groucho was, etc., then went into this tirade about how when groucho died, 3 days later Elvis died, and all the media reported on Elvis' death, but not groucho's. And he called Elvis some disparaging words, and the cops said "nobody talks about the King in MY office like that!" and threw him out.

there were a lot of swear words though, and it was funny.

... would be great if you or someone could post the storyboard for that scene here on TC...

It may sounds tacky.. but I made a shrine to Elvis in my bathroom. I guess I'll have to post pics to show the proof.

Oh and Micheal J Fox, has no Elvis in him.

It has also been reported that Elvis used to shoot the TV when Robert Goulet was on. He would roll over in his grave if he knew Persilla did a movie with him.

Sorryman.

http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2005-08-17 16:09 ]

T

On 2005-08-17 16:06, Unkle John wrote:
It may sounds tacky.. but I made a shrine to Elvis in my bathroom. I guess I'll have to post pics to show the proof.

Oh and Micheal J Fox, has no Elvis in him.

That's where my Velvet Elvis has been since the day I found it. Hangs right over the toilet. Got his lei on and all that.

If life wuz fair, Elvis would still be alive and all the impostors would be dead!

On 2005-08-18 00:02, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
If life wuz fair, Elvis would still be alive and all the impostors would be dead!

See the movie "Bubba Hotep" starring Bruce Campbell for how that premise plays out...

On 2005-08-18 00:08, dangergirl299 wrote:
See the movie "Bubba Hotep" starring Bruce Campbell for how that premise plays out...

....sorryman.

Pages: 1 13 replies