Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

what item has been in your 'Fridge the longest?

Pages: 1 22 replies

Wright's Liquid Smoke?
Film Can of Spleef?
Pineapple Ice Cream topping?
Hockey Puck? (that would be the freezer)

There are several bottles of marinade/sauce in my fridge that belonged to former roommates and have to be at least two years old. I also found two partially-eaten jars of mayo in there, and I HATE MAYO.

But the winner has to be the unopened, still-sealed box of veggie burgers that has sat in the far corner of my freezer since 1999. I moved 'em from one apartment to another last year. I didn't buy them and I don't really want to eat them, but I can't bring myself to throw them out. What should I do?

Jimmy Hoffa.

cyn ~ i dare you to post them onto a Freecycle ~ i'll bet someone will take them off your hands.

On 2005-07-13 23:17, dogbytes wrote:
cyn ~ i dare you to post them onto a Freecycle ~ i'll bet someone will take them off your hands.

Yes, you're probably right. Scary, huh?

I think Walt Disney and Ted Williams are lurking in the back of my freezer too.

T

A jar of Sauerkraut.

A one kilo tub of red Thai curry paste (almost finished).

Trader Woody

Two "C" batteries. You notice very few products use C size batteries anymore? Lots of AA, AAA, and D's, but C's are so left out now.

A jar of pickled ginger.

One of those huge plastic tubs of margarita mix, it's been in the freezer since we moved in. Three years ago.

Miracle Whip- Somebody brought it by years ago because they didn't like mayo but had to have Miracle Whip on their burger. I still have the jar and it is scary. It has been in the fridge for years now and hasn't changed. If I had mayo in there this long;it would be green. So word of warning tiki friends, don't eat the Miracle Whip in my home.

A jar of chokeberry jam-haven't the slightest idea about how they taste,and frankly I don't care.

RD

A ten pound log of beef was recently excavated from my freezer. It belonged to a roommate who moved out 18 months ago. Needless to say, I defrosted it and bbq'd a couple of burgers. Not bad, I didn't get sick but my wife made me throw the rest away. It was fatty meat anyway...

-Joe

W

A jar of cubes of Chinese Fermented Bean Curd (Fu Yi) purchased to make some dishes done by the Frugal Gourmet back when he was on PBS. So that makes it about oh, ready to eat by some standards. Actually, it has moved with us twice in 8 years and will move again in a few months as long as I hide it (like I did last time)...its an experiment you see!

The box of Arm & Hammer baking soda that I bought to keep the new fridge smelling fresh...four years ago.

J

Unfortunately the wet and windy remnants of Hurricane Isabel did a number on my vintage condiment collection in 2003. We went without power for 3 days and sadly the antique bottle of banana ketchup and the old-school jar of Goya guava jelly were lost. But there was some positive news... the glass bottle of Heinz ketchup, no longer available for retail sale, which was stolen from a local Chili's restaurant and refilled about 5 times was thankfully saved. That "Super Rare/Eames Era" bottle has been in three different refrigerators over the course of about 12 years! After the storm I had the insight to swaddle the bottle in an Igloo cooler and air lift it to the chilled safe-haven of my in-law's Kenmore.

A bottle of Hawaiian kukui Passion Fruit Syrup and some Jump Up and Kiss Me Spicy Passion Fruit Sauce. hmmm... I also found some hoisin sauce, hey, maybe it's still good. mm, smells hoisin-y!

A huge jar of mixed olives that we got from Big Lots back when it was called Pic N Save.
A jar of Dynasty Hoisin Sauce seems to have taken up permanent residence also (never know when you're gonna need hoisin sauce).

T

On 2005-07-14 19:53, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
A huge jar of mixed olives that we got from Big Lots back when it was called Pic N Save.
A jar of Dynasty Hoisin Sauce seems to have taken up permanent residence also (never know when you're gonna need hoisin sauce).

You don't happen to have a picture of that label, do ya? I've been looking for old Pic N' Save items! (circa 1970s, I'm afraid...)

8T

A bottle of Champagne from Spain. Hey, that rhymes.
It was in the fridge at the house we used to live in and we moved about 5 years ago. How long will that stuff stay bubbly anyway? Guess I need to find something worth toasting eh? I wonder if it is more valuable on ebay now that it is "vintage" hahaha

8',
We had a 1988 bottle of champagne in our fridge. It was a present for my parent's 25th anniversary 10 years ago, then it was our engagement gift, and we decided to drink it at our wedding last year. It was ok, still bubbly but not really to my personal tastes. I've decided to keep the bottle for now, it's pretty. I should have sold it, it was worth $100-$200.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-07-15 21:48 ]

You are all people desperatly in need of the Periodic table of condiments print it out and slap it on your fridge.

A bottle of Bobby Curtola's Sea Czar Tomato Clam Cocktail

It's been in my fridge for more than 5 years (it had already been stale dated for a year when I bought it). I never intended to drink it, I just wanted to have it as a memento of Canada's Rock 'N Roll Legend

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 01:14 ]

On 2005-07-13 22:47, Gigantalope wrote:
Wright's Liquid Smoke?
Film Can of Spleef?
Pineapple Ice Cream topping?
Hockey Puck? (that would be the freezer)

I do actually have a jar of Smuckers pineapple ice cream topping that has been in the fridge for at least a couple of years now. Actually, I think that item spans the life of two fridges, as it made the transfer from the old fridge to the new fridge last year. But I think the oldest item is a partially used tube of Reeses' anchovy paste that I bought shortly after I moved into my house 4 years ago.

Pages: 1 22 replies