Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Original and quick Navy Grog recipes?

Pages: 1 20 replies

I'm a big Trader Vic's Navy Grog fan and I've been searching for their recipe. From what I've read on this board it seems to be a secret. Am I correct? Or doesn someone have the real recipe?

Also, I bought the Trader Vic's Navy Grog mix and from what I've read here, it seems that no one really likes it. I planned on using a half of lime, the rock candy stirs and Cruzan dark rum. Will that get me anywhere near the experience I have a Trader Vics?

Does anybody have any good quick recipes for the Trader Vics Navy Grog mix?

Thanks

S

The TV mix is fine. Make sure you have the concentrate that is "NOT FOR RESALE". They sell it at TV Atlanta, I assume you can get it other places.

The recipe is not what is on the bottle however. 1/2 of a lime (I use 3/4 ounce of juice), 3/4 ounce of the mix, 2 ounces of dark rum, a dash of grapefruit juice and a dash of simple syrup, mint sprig. That's the recipe.

On 2005-06-17 09:49, Swanky wrote:
The recipe is not what is on the bottle however. 1/2 of a lime (I use 3/4 ounce of juice), 3/4 ounce of the mix, 2 ounces of dark rum, a dash of grapefruit juice and a dash of simple syrup, mint sprig. That's the recipe.

I'm sure you are right, but I've been using liquid honey instead of simple syrup. It probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference but it may help in the quest for the perfect Navy Grog.

Trader Woody

This is the mix I have:
http://www.tradervicsfoodproducts.com/default.asp Is that what you were refering to?

Also, do I need the syrup and the rock candy stir or can I just get away with the rock candy stir? Do you know what kind of rum they use in the resturant?

Thanks for the info!

S

That does not look like the concentrate I use. What I use is black out of the bottle. I get it at TV, and I don't think they normally sell it, but they will if you ask for it in Atlanta.

The recipe I quoted is from Joel, the head bartender at TV Atlanta and bartender of the year in Atlanta last year.

The simple syrup balances the tartness of the grapefruit. You wanna balance them. The sugar stick I think adds little to the sweetness, but looks good.

KK

Do you know what kind of rum they use in the resturant?

Myer's dark.

H

Well, with an emphasis on "quick" rather than "original"... we swung by the Palo Alto Trader Vic's to stock up on various mixers and thought we'd give the Navy Grog Mix a whirl. This is not the concentrate stuff, this is the basic stuff they sell through the restaurants and website. It's a medium-brown color, not black. We started off with the recipe as stated on the back: 2 oz. of mix & 2 oz. of dark rum (the label calls for Trader Vic's dark rum, we had Myers on hand). It was not a taste sensation. I added 1/4 oz. rock candy syrup and the juice from half a lime, and a big healthy sprig of mint, and then it was actually pretty good. The next round I did 1 oz. of the Myers and 1 oz. of Appleton V/X, but I couldn't tell you if it was an improvement or not. Man, I wish we could find Coruba around here.

M

The restauant recipe is juice from 1/2 lime, 3/4 oz grapefruit, dash simple syrup, 1/4-1/3 oz rum grog concentrate, and then the rum. This is where some of the locations differ. Emeryville uses 1 oz silver, 1 oz gold, 1 oz dark- all Trader Vic's brand. SF uses 1 oz gold, 1 oz dark and 1/2-3/4 oz Lemon Hart 151. The rum grog concentrate is MUCH different than the retail version. TV is not supposed to sell it, so I suggest you head to Atlanta- that's quite a coup.

P

Awwww - everybody cry for the girl who lives in LA.
Waaaaaaaa.
:wink:

Tell you what - you've brought me Falernum before so now I'll bring you a bottle or two of Coruba to Hukilau.

Let me just add this to the Navy Grog stuff - sometimes, they will NOT sell it to you in Atlanta. Sometimes they will. I find a handsome tip to that stellar bartender, Joel, to be quite efficacious.

H

Naw, I'm spoiled when I'm in L.A. -- I'm up to my ankles in the stuff. I'm not in L.A. anymore, though -- I'm doing time... er, spending time in Hanford's neck of the woods for a while, Palo Alto.

T

On 2005-09-11 21:25, Humuhumu wrote:
Naw, I'm spoiled when I'm in L.A. -- I'm up to my ankles in the stuff. I'm not in L.A. anymore, though -- I'm doing time... er, spending time in Hanford's neck of the woods for a while, Palo Alto.

Up in Burlingame near SFO is Weimax Liquors. They stock Coruba and many other excellent rums including Lemon Hart (both proofs) and El Dorado demeraras. They even have Fee Bros. falernum.

They're located downtown at 1178 Broadway (west of El Camino Real).

Telephone 650-343-0182

HOURS:
Monday 9-7 Tuesday-Saturday 9-7:30
Closed Sundays.

http://www.weimax.com

[ Edited by: thejab 2005-09-12 10:19 ]

there is also another place called beltramo's. (sp) i think it is in mt. view. ask tikihula he'll know the name. they stock a lot of things that are hard to find.

H

I just made a Navy Grog by Don the Beachcomber from Beachbum Berry's book, since I don't have the Trader Vic's mix. It is real strong but real honey tasting, and not as sour as the ones at Trader Vic's. I followed the recipe exactly. I wish I had a recipe without the mix that was just as good as the ones at Trader Vic's.

bump

A

Trader Vic’s Navy Grog, per Beachbum Berry's Grog Blog:
http://blog.beachbumberry.com/2007/06/26/no-jury-in-the-world-would-convict-him/

• 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
  • 3/4 ounce allspice syrup
  • 1 ounce Light Puerto Rican Rum
  • 1 ounce Gold Jamaican rum
  • 1 ounce Demerara rum

Put ingredients into cocktail shaker and shake well with lots of crushed ice. Pour into a double old-fashioned glass.

Allspice Syrup: Grind enough whole dried allspice berries to make 6 level tablespoons. Place the ground allspice in a saucepan with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Bring it all to a boil, then cover and simmer for two minutes. Remove the saucepan from heat and — keeping it covered — let steep for two to three hours, then strain into a bottle and refrigerate.

NOTE: I added another ounce of rum to the recipe since the Bum states in his blog "ours calls for slightly less rum, just in case your liquor cabinet is near your gun cabinet." Plus Navy Grogs are supposed to have 3 ounces of rum in my book. Arr.

H

Arriano, I just made this drink I replaced Allspice Dram for the allspice syrup and I put a rock candy on a stick ( they serve these at Trader Vic's when you order Navy Grog)in the drink. After a few minutes the rock candy started melting and the Navy Grog was very strong and very good.

A

Thanks for the tip. I have yet to procure some allspice dram, and I'm a bit too busy/lazy to make it myself just yet. But sounds great!

P

Since it is now available (and I finally got some), dose anyone have a recipe for Navy Grog specifically tailored to use the St Elizabeth Dram as the pimento liqueur?

Thanks!

Pakelika

A

On 2008-06-05 12:33, Pakelika wrote:
Since it is now available (and I finally got some), dose anyone have a recipe for Navy Grog specifically tailored to use the St Elizabeth Dram as the pimento liqueur?

Thanks!

Pakelika

See:
http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/07/11/navy-grog/

S7

On 2008-06-05 12:33, Pakelika wrote:

Thanks!

Pakelika

Try this :

Navy Grog (Trader Vics)

1oz. Martinique Rum (J.Baly, St.James)
1oz. Jamaican Rum (Appleton VX/12yo)
3/4oz. Lime Juice.
1/2oz. Grapefruit Juice.
1/2oz. Sugar Syrup.
1/4oz. Pimento Allspice Dram (Berry Hill, St.Elizabeth)

Mixed and shaken with at least a double old-fashioned (Mai Tai) glass of crushed ice,
and whatever extra crushed ice is needed to top up your glass.

The Bitter Truth are making a Pimento Dram and it's pretty good for Navy Grogs. Just sipping one now.

Pages: 1 20 replies