Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

National Museum of Natural History, Pacific Cultures Exhibit, Washington, D.C., (other)

Pages: 1 4 replies

Name:National Museum of Natural History, Pacific Cultures Exhibit
Type:other
Street:10th Street & Constitution Ave., NW
City: Washington, D.C.
State:
Zip:20560
Phone:202-633-1000

Description:
Pacific Cultures was a classic exhibit, in place since at least the 1960s. However, it closed April 2005. The ceiling contained asbestos, so they removed the entire exhibit instead of incurring the expense of working safely with the existing conditions. That's life.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/museum/VirtualTour/floor.maps.html

Regular museum hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Admission: free

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2006-01-16 05:46 ]

Following are a selection of photographs of the exhibit as it exists in March 2005. I have 50 photos of highlights of the exhibit - please let me know if you have a gallery where i could upload/link all 50 photos.

for all you 'ukulele slingers

bonus: another big stone head outside, not tiki, but hey, close to a popular mug from the day...

I took Monday off and I am talking to my wahine about making a trip up to the Natural History museum before it closes. Unfortunately, she is fearful of things like asbestos and if I convince her; we will be walking around with mouth masks.I am going to draw a tiki on mine.

ppb, just don't tell her :) the offending material is encapsulated in paint (it's a 60's "popcorn ceiling") and there is no danger to us breathing critters until it's disturbed, i.e. by sawing. ref. http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1903&highlight=popcorn+ceiling

You are wise with the wahines J$,I will take your advise and not tell her about the asbestos. I even went to "Old Navy" just now to get the "Tiki Style" book to get her in the mood. It looks like a smaller version of the "Book of Tiki" by Sven. I love finding stuff in the strangest places and our "Old Navy" is strange. With the clothes they are sellin', you would think we were in the heat of summer

Pages: 1 4 replies