Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Warehouse's spiffed up cocktail menu?

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

I heard some talk that Burt Hixson's Warehouse in Marina Del Rey has updated their tropical cocktail menu. There was mention of things like a Monkeybowl (being held up by 3 monkeys!?) and other drinks involving dry ice! Could some Tiki-savy explorer confirm and elaborate on this? Who will take on this mission from Tiki?

It is also high time that someone posts some pics of the magical exterior of this classic Trader style structure and it's faux pier landscaping!

H

Here are some pictures from a recent visit to the Warehouse:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/thewarehouse/

Indeed, we noticed that the drink menu seemed to have improved significantly. We noted lots of use of dry ice and Cruzan Black Strap (which I happen to think is yummy, but needs to be used very carefully). If I recall correctly, the drink I had was called a Monsoon, and I was terrifically pleased with it. We're not talking Tiki-Ti quality here, of course, but it was a definite improvement. Didn't get a lot of pics of the exterior during this trip. The drinks were all served in tiki mugs, which could be purchased separately, there was a nice display case up front.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:09 ]

O

Bump
I visited the Warehouse for the first time last week. Very cool place Burt Hixson built there!

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-16 11:42 ]

T

Great pics! Thanks for posting!

Yesterday we had drinks and appetizers for happy hour here at the Warehouse. The shrimp and scallop scampi were great and the shrimp coctail. Crab Rangoon good but Trader Vic's is better. I had their Mai Tai which they are apparently proud of. "It's made with grenadine like the Royal Hawaiian version that is the original Mai Tai" , I plan to return with the proper ingredients as the bartender wants to have a taste off with me, this should be fun. I got the Warehouse mug and after 4pm until 6pm the happy hour menu at $5.00 each can't be beat. At $3.50 for a Mai Tai during happy hour and the great food and view, I'll put up with the drinks until we can all teach them to make a proper Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-11 19:12 ]

P

*On 2006-11-28 11:39, Ojaitimo wrote:*I had their Mai Tai which they are apparently proud of. "It's made with grenadine like the Hawaiian version that is the original Mai Tai" [snip] I'll put up with the drinks until we can all teach them to make a proper Mai Tai.

That's funny because I was there just 2 weeks ago to have lunch...and my Mai Tai did not have any grenadine in it and was rather good. Though it was served in that tall curvy glass that the Tropical Itch usually comes served in.

I tell 'ya though...I experienced some of the worst service there during my lunch that I've ever experienced anywhere in my life. From reception to seating to initial waiter ("initial" because I got eventually another one). Either total confusion or indifference on the part of most of the staff (of which there were a lot of!). Took about 3 minutes just to get acknowledged when I arrived, and it was a young manager that came out of an office that finally asked if he could help me. "Ah. Yes. I kinda thought I'd like to EAT here." He passed me off to one of the loafing staff and they sat me way in the back. There wasn't anyone else around, other than a large Japanese tour group in the next room.

And there I waited.

And waited.

Finally a waiter (not my assigned one) came by and asked if anyone had served me yet. I said no and he went off to find my waiter. Like 5 minutes more went by and I was just about to get up and leave when the same guy came back astonished that still no one had taken my order as he had told my assigned waiter I was back there! He just shook his head and said, "Well...the heck with it. I'm your waiter now."

And he was great. Miguel. Had my Mai Tai (Tai and a half, really...as he brought me a glass of extra slop) in minutes, and that delicious (and potent) drink had me on the way to relaxing and forgiving all.

Kudos to the kitchen staff too. I ordered the New York Strip Steak Sandwich, and everything about it was great and it was served promptly, hot, and perfectly prepared and delicious!

But no grenadine in My Tai. If I had seen any...I would have sent it back!

BTW...touring the place that afternoon, there was a carpenter working on the main downstairs bar and lounge. Sawdust and tools everywhere. So I think they were in the process of sprucing up the place a little.

O

It could be that I'm spoiled on my choice of Mai Tai recipes. I make mine from the Grog Log with Marie Brizard curacao not triple sec like they do. The Warehouse version was way too sweet with hardly any lime juice and the grenadine is in the mix according to the day bartender. I'll let you all know how the taste off goes. I'm not bagging on the Warehouse as I love the food and decor, would just like to see the drinks improve as I like going there.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-01 08:19 ]

H

Ojaitimo, you are such a good photographer, I enjoy watching your pictures on TC. As for The Warehouse, I have been going there for years. Sometimes the drinks are great and the food is good and sometimes..... You just never know at this place. In general the Mai tai is not good but a strong one or two does the trick, we usually tell the bartender to at least make them strong. I like all the bamboo around the outside. They must be at least 50 years old, nice and tall.

On 2006-11-28 15:24, PremEx wrote:
I tell 'ya though...I experienced some of the worst service there during my lunch that I've ever experienced anywhere in my life.

I agree. We went there recently and not only was I underwhelmed by the drinks and food, but especially the service. In fact, for the price, the service stank. Our reservation basically meant nothing.

Nice decor. However, I would not go back.

O

Thanks Hiltiki, I enjoy sharing my pictures with all of you. The bamboo is cool and at first I was put off by the carving but it shows the history.

I wish more people would post their photos as there are many places around the world we could all enjoy. Premex, thanks for your photos especially of Don the Beachcomber in Maui that I was sad to hear is a shell of its former self.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-02 13:34 ]

O

I returned to the Warehouse today and spoke with the bartender about Mai Tai's. He also confirmed they use grenadine in the mix and triple sec. A man sitting at the bar overheard our conversation. " Did I hear a Mai Tai recipe being discussed? The bartender introduced Lee who has owned the Warehouse for 10 years since he bought it from Burt Hixson. " We use Trader Vic's original recipe for our Mai Tai's here that we got off the internet" I replied "Not according to the Grog Log if you use grenadine and triple sec" I went out to my car and returned with a bottle of Marie Brizard curacao that I poured straight for both of them.
" Thats the taste from Traders Mai Tai's I couldn't place before, that is good. Lets start using curacao in ours." Lee was very nice and I wanted to tell him about the poor service that some of you have experienced but I thought it best to wait for another time. They also had a great band playing in the lounge from 6pm on and my second Mai Tai compliments of Vic now with curacao along with the great food and music, made for a memorable evening.Anyone up for a friday night happy hour TC gathering soon?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-14 20:47 ]

O

I should be fair about these Mai Tai's. I spent a little time researching them today. Not only did Trader Vic and Don Beachcomber claim inventing it and end up in court over it but the Royal Hawaiian also claims it was invented there with a big band leaders hand?. So who knows. The Bali Hai San Diegos version like the Royal Hawaiian uses grenadine and though I prefer Trader Vic's version, the one they serve at the Warehouse is growing on me.

H

On 2006-12-02 13:48, Ojaitimo wrote:
... The Bali Hai San Diegos version like the Royal Hawaiian uses grenadine ...

???
The last Mai Tai I had at the Bali Hai did not have grenadine in it.
From their drink menu it says:

Coruba Jamican Dark Rum
Ron Rico Light Rum
Orgeat Syrup
Orange Liqueur
Sweet and Sour

Not that I would order another one but has the Bali Hai recently changed their recipe to use grenadine?

What amazing photos and stories! I had no idea there was anything this cool in Marina Del Rey and now I have to go visit this place!

On 2006-12-01 08:27, Ojaitimo wrote:
Thanks Hiltiki, I enjoy sharing my pictures with all of you. The bamboo is cool and at first I was put off by the carving but it shows the history.

You are right, Ojaitimo, carving on palm trees is disrespectful and completely inappropriate. Worse than tagging on a bathroom stall - atleast that can be repainted.

[i]On 2005-03-21 17:11, Humuhumu wrote:[

The drinks were all served in tiki mugs, which could be purchased separately, there was a nice display case up front.

I never saw those tikis before! I'll have to take a look next time.

Tikis and tiki mugs. The Warehouse now qualifies as a tiki bar in my book.

Plus, right on the water, although I wish there was seating off the lagoon in front.

O

More beachcomber than true tiki but it has tiki roots. I'm not sure this qualifies as a tiki bar but it is cool and with so few true tiki bars maybe we can include beachcomber bars such as this one and Duke's in Malibu. They have some great ceramic's besides the signature Warehouse mug that I will photograph next friday when I go for happy hour. I may be wrong about the Bali Hai containing grenandine , I asked my friend who is a mixologist and he doesn't think they do either. But sweet & sour and orange liquor AKA triple sec?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-03 13:35 ]

Fair enough.

However, before you go to Dukes, definitely check out Bob's Paradise Cove in Malibu.
Tiki torches, and toes in the sand.

Mrs Conga Mike and myself happened upon the Wharehouse while driving through Marina Del Ray and had a great time.
Thier outdoor patio nestled among the trees was the perfect hangout and their drinks were pretty tasty.

Also, they do this killer buffet spread on Sundays (I think) The buffet tables are lined along the circumference of the dining room and bar - lotsa food!! We had already eaten so I cannot comment on the quality, but it looked good.

On 2006-12-02 14:17, Hakalugi wrote:

???

Coruba Jamican Dark Rum
Ron Rico Light Rum
Orgeat Syrup
Orange Liqueur
Sweet and Sour

Not that I would order another one but has the Bali Hai recently changed their recipe to use grenadine?

No Grenadine, they're still using the original recipe.

The missus and I went for dinner last night. Good time .

On 2006-12-04 13:21, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2006-12-02 14:17, Hakalugi wrote:

???

Coruba Jamican Dark Rum
Ron Rico Light Rum
Orgeat Syrup
Orange Liqueur
Sweet and Sour

No Grenadine, they're still using the original recipe.

(From the Bali Hai site)

Bali Hai - Event Liquor Information

Champagne Punch A refreshing blend of Champagne, Apricot Brandy, White Wine, Triple Sec, & Ginger Ale $85/bowl
Mai Tai Punch Our famous recipe, made with Puerto Rican Rum, Jamaican Rum, Orange Liqueur, Fruit Juices & Orgeat Syrup. $95/bowl
(quote)

Hey Freddie, do you know what fruit juices they do they use in this mix? I am curious.

Here is what Jeff Berry had to say about the Mai Tai recently.

On 2006-09-10 02:09, virani wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, here is the reply from the great Beachbum Berry, after asking him to come on that thread :

Aloha Virani and Fellow Alcohologists!

I apologize for not posting officially in my own name, but Tiki Central is like heroin -- if I start I would never be able to stop! Then I'd never be able to finish my new book, Sippin' Safari ... which, by the way, has an 8 page chapter about the roots of the Mai Tai, called "Who's Your Daddy? A Mai Tai Paternity Test."

Basically, the gist of the chapter is this: James Michener claims the Mai Tai was invented on Bora Bora and made its way to Hawaii. The Royal Hawaiian Hotel claims its bartenders invented the Mai Tai. Bandleader Harry Owens ("Sweet Leilani") claims he invented the Mai Tai. Trader Vic claims he invented the Mai Tai, and in 1970 he won a court case to prove it. Court case aside, Donn Beach's third wife Phoebe and assorted journalists still claim Donn invented the Mai Tai. Donn himself never claimed he invented the Mai Tai -- what HE said was that his drink, the Q.B. Cooler, was stolen by Trader Vic, who RE-NAMED it the Mai Tai. Ever the gentleman, Donn refused to argue the point in public. Whenever Trader Vic's name came up, he always said, "I am pleased to ignore him."

In my humble opinion: 1) The Q.B. Cooler doesn't taste all that much like Vic's Mai Tai. 2) With all due respect to the gentleman posting from Norway, the country that gave us Thor Heyerdahl, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club Cocktail doesn't taste like a Mai Tai. The difference is orgeat: Vic pioneered the use of this ingredient in tropicals. Donn never used orgeat. And orgeat is NOT interchangable with falernum. Orgeat tastes like almonds, falernum like ginger and lime. If we were in the kitchen instead of the bar, would we be arguing that sole almondine tastes like ginger-lime glazed sole?

So I think it's time to give the Trader a break: Literature professors tell us that every novel ever written is derived from one of seven basic plots. Similarly, a case can be made that any given cocktail is derived from any other given cocktail. A Margarita is a Sidecar with tequila instead of cognac ... a Sidecar is a Daiquiri with cognac and lemon instead of rum and lime ... where does it end? Yes, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club Cocktail has lime and citrus and orange liqueur and sugar in it. So do about 100 other rum drinks. My feeling is, whatever Vic based the Mai Tai on, the Mai Tai is his original mixture.

Again, I apologize in advance for not being able to follow this up with any more posts for a while: I'm sure others will disagree at least part of the above, which is fine -- that's what makes TC so great -- but as a Bum I must conserve what little energy I have to finish the new book! (It will be published in June.)

Mahalo to you all for keeping the legacy of Vic and Donn alive in your hearts (and palates!), Beachbum Berry

Original recipe from the Grog Log

Lime juice
rum
orange curacao
orgeat syrup
simple syrup
mint
lime shell

[ Edited by: ojaitimo 2006-12-11 19:10 ]

O

Here is the Volcano bowl, one of the mugs with a Mai Tai and some of the food from happy hour.

Volcano bowl(they make this one with dry ice on busy nights)

[

(Kyle the bartender makes the drinks in tiki mugs if you ask him)

The shrimp scampi there is my favorite

The calamari is tender and tasty.

Crab Rangoon

Beef and chicken satay

I spoke with Chad the manager regarding some of TCers past comments on service. He says anyone can call and talk with him anytime regarding service and he wants to make the Warehouse a great experience for us all.
Chad Leatherman 310-306-3952

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-16 11:19 ]

Nice photos, Ojaitimo.

Here is the Warehouse signature drink, Rum Barrel that you get to keep.

Mai Tai made by Danny without grenadine

Mai Tai with grenadine made by Kyle

Oysters Rockefeller

Scallop scampi

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-17 06:57 ]

O

Here is the view of the Warehouse from Bali Way where Don the Beachcomber once was. It is now standing empty.
Anyone have a suggestion on getting the Marina Del Rey Hotel to unlock it so I can photograph the interior?

O

Anyone know if this is Trader Vic on the left?

While at the Warehouse tonight I was talking to the owner Lee Spencer about celebrating Don the Beachcombers 100th birthday on Feburary 22 which is a Monday. It turns out that Lee actually knew Don from his parents dragging take him to the place near Malibu when he was a kid. This was his parents favorite place and probably led to his buying the Warehouse as he loves the beachcomber look.

He likes the idea of a Don the Beachcomber homage and a commemerative mug and special drink. My vote would be a Zombie but real Mai Tai's would be fun with the history and all. Lee wants to meet with me next week and I plan to show him some photographs and memorbilia. If anyone has any suggestions or pictures of mugs please IM me.

Mario the chef, once again made some incredible food.

Jason the bartender made one of their signature drinks, a Jealous Tiki God. "Tropical juices and rum"
All he would say about the recipe. Hmmm

Mug display case

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-06 22:23 ]

They are doing a really great job at the warehouse, please go by and check it out, I hear even the ribs are BACK!. Enjoy.

MMMMMMMMMMMM ribs, Im there.
I know that sea food is the main stay for alot of hawiian, tropical, and poly pop places, but I prefer land walking animals.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

O

Yeah but the shells make cool necklaces and I have this recycling habit. I would have to make a rib bone necklace? Hey, I could give it to you Grog! I love ribs and I didn't notice them before. I will check them out next time and post them as I have covered the happy hour menu items I like.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-08 14:23 ]

The warehouse is temporarily out of all tiki mugs, except for their $14.00 volcano bowl,
which contains an extra large container for the 151. $14.00.

P
PremEx posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 5:57 PM

The warehouse is temporarily out of all tiki mugs, except for their $14.00 volcano bowl, which contains an extra large container for the 151. $14.00.

Wow! A few of us were there not 2 weeks ago and they were loaded with all the mugs. That front display case was overflowing! Guess sales are doing just fine! :)

O

Yeah, I was there on Friday and Kyle mentioned that they were out of mugs. He said those mugs we saw at Donn Beachcombers party were gone that weekend. Guess there are many closet tiki fans.

H

I am going there this Thursday evening and will keep you guys posted. If anyone wants to join us please pm me.

I finally made it there for first time.
Spermy and Whalerider met us (Jon Paul from Tiki Mag)and my Friend Kristena
and her husband and daughter) there at 4 pm, after the Santa Monica Vacation fest.
It was a great atmosphere, totally dug the place. Not tiki but very cool none the less. the appetizers and food were top notch. a bit pricey, but very good.
I thought the drinks were only so so.
I had a Mai Tai 4 on a 1 to 10 scale.
and Rum Barrel, Not what I expected at all, but ok, 5 on a 1 to 10 scale
and JP got a Volcano bowl, and it was a tad better I give it a 6.

I seem to be really picky on tropical drinks, and lie the tiki ti, and Traitor vics drinks style drinks best. It seems that there are people that like the lesser quality drinks, or just dot know the difference. or dont want to be rude to the resturaunt or owners.

I'd like to read more truthful reviews of drinks.
it is an art to make these folks. and not many can do it right at bars resturaunts. we need to demand better quality. especially if its
8 to 12 bucks a drink.

sorry if I upset anybody. but I wanna tell it like it is.
I will go back, but I wanna find a better drink, or clue them into a good recipe book.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-03-06 21:23 ]

P

During 4-6pm Happy Hours...you should have been getting $3.50 Mai Tais and half off or more on the entire appetizer menu! Plus some sandwiches. But perhaps this is only in the bar area?

Last time there a couple weeks ago, I had their great French Dip Sandwich with fries...for only 5 bucks.

During Happy Hour...the prices are hard to beat, IMHO.

Mai Tais are a tad sweet for my taste...but plenty of rum! Still a good tropical drink. Just not sure I'd call it a Mai Tai. If that's how they're going to make it, I might suggest they simply call it something else. But I like the drink.

O

Yes the Mai Tai is not a true mai tai there. I recently made one of mine to compare with theirs.

Same rum but curacao instead of triple sec and fresh lime juice instead of sweet and sour. At least they arn't using grenadine anymore. I suggested to Kyle and Danny that they pick up the Grog Log and Intoxica. They thought Berry's version was too tart and not sweet enough for their crowds taste but they are open to advice and suggestions. As I have said in earlier posts, I like the place, good food and the drinks could improve but they are not terrible especially during happy hour at $3.50 for a Mai Tai and $5.00 appetizers.

TT

I have to agree with the above posts. I was there about a month ago. I love the restaurant's atmosphere. I also enjoyed the food. I had a good New York steak and baked potato. However, I couldn't finish the mai tai I ordered. The mix killed it for me. I settled for a Coca Cola to finish my meal.

Even if the drinks need improvement and there aren't a bunch of actual tikis, though, the place is still great and everyone should visit it. One whole wall is made up of old shipping crates. Block out everything and just look at the wall and it's like you've been transported to the last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark... in that old government warehouse.

I might have even heard one of the old crates humming ominously! Probably not the ark though. Possibly that sweet and sour mix they use for their mai tais. :wink:

Now I really feel cheated, we payed full price for the drinks,
and we ordered at 4pm ish, bastards :)

they seemed kinda over woorked and suprised at how many people were in there. Maybe they need a few more bar tenders and waiters.

One more thing that really bothered me wat the giant flat screen tv with sports on it. What a way to kill a tropical mood. ughhhh.
cant people even relax with a drink and food, without having tv/sports on???

I know I'm a big complainer.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

Well I am still planning on going there tomorrow. And I will order the Rum barrel and Volcano Bowl and food. Can't wait..

I'm not saying people shouldn't go.
I will go back too.
Just don't expect perfect drinks.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

Jeff, we are cool. :)

G

On 2006-12-16 11:14, Ojaitimo wrote:

Mai Tai made by Danny without grenadine

What is this man doing making a Mai Tai with a soda gun?!

Must... look... away. Hurts... eyes...

K
keola posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 5:05 PM

I had lunch there today. The food was better than I remember from a couple years ago, service was attentive, drink was ok... they're still out of mugs at the moment

O

He wasn't making the Mai Tai at that moment. At least I hope he wasn't. I was there this evening after work and they were washing some new mugs they had just unpacked in case anyone wanted one. They are still out of the Warehouse barrel mug for another couple of weeks.

H

Well I was there on Thursday with some friends and Ojaitimo. The Volcano bowl tasted good, a little too sweet but real strong, there was plenty of liquor in it. The food was great we had calamari and shrimp and oysters for half price. Over all I like the place and will go back again. Oh by the way I didn't ask about the mugs, I was a little wasted. I like this place.

O

Yeah, I was a little wasted myself. Not good when I'm taking pictures,LOL. Happy birthday Hiltiki!

This is the crate with the sound coming from it.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-10 19:47 ]

Stopped by recently. The Tiki torches are still burning bright. Unfortunately, neither a Tiki mug nor a Rum barrell were available for libation.

Pages: 1 2 47 replies