Name:Chaparral Club, Dallas Tx.
Type:restaurant
Street:400 N. Olive
City:Dallas
State:TX
Zip:75201
Phone:214-922-8000

Description:
I put Defunct on here because it no longer is polynesian.

From Tx Monthly:
"Chaparral is the beautiful restaurant atop the Adam's Mark Hotel. Located on the 38th floor, the restaurant offers a spectacular view of downtown Dallas as well as fresh innovative menu selections. The new menu, created by Executive Chef Uwe Rudnick, has an Asian/Texan flair with everything from a Filet Mignon with Cheddar Mashed Potatoes to Ahi Tuna Tartare and Margarita Shrimp Cocktail. The dessert menu is just as exciting as the first plates and main plates. Hours of operation: Tues-Sat 6-11 p.m. 214-777-6539."

It's a shame, I was looking at photos of The place. It's still in operation, but not polynesian at all. Well, some of the dishes look like they could pass.
All I know of this place was that it was part of the Ports chain. The Chaparral Club is not the same place as the Ports o' Call. That building has been demolished. You can see a picture of a matchbook interior with the Chapparal Club listed on page 103 of the BOT. It is listed at a building called Southwest Center, Dallas Texas. I recall a name change sometime ago, but I'm not sure if it's even the same place. I just figured i'd mention one more Texas tiki icon.

This was taken from a Chef's website:
"At the Chaparral Club, chef Uwe Rudnick and his top-tier team are cooking with the flavors of Dallas history, and their spectacular food is helping this long-forgotten eatery climb to new heights. The story of the sky-high restaurant mirrors the rise, fall, and rebirth of downtown Dallas itself. Back in 1958, a rancher and industrialist named Roy Carpenter was busy putting the finishing touches on his gleaming new Southland Center complex, complete with an exclusive club on the 38th floor. The Chaparral Club was a tony, members-only preserve, a four-star restaurant, and a top-drawer lounge with stunning views of the rapidly growing city. It was the place to see and be seen in Dallas.

But as the city's oil fortunes tumbled, the Chaparral Club faded, finally closing down in the early 1990s. Then Adam's Mark bought the property. An elite hotel and resort company, Adam's Mark was well aware that the Chaparral Club was something special. In 1998, the legendary club reopened its doors in the newly christened Adam's Mark Hotel Dallas with Rudnick, a respected culinary veteran, at the helm. The acclaim from area critics was immediate and resounding."

I do know that they have a local artist names lauren Gifford who sings and play the piano. She has a smokey voice and stunning red hair. I have one of her CD's. Just an FYI for you Dallasites.

TX Monthly: http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/diningguide/dfw/fall2002/adv2069

Lauren Gifford:
http://www.laurengifford.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2005-03-11 01:01 ]

While looking through the Book of Tiki (BOT) I saw where I got in the inspiration for this post. There is a matchbook showing all the Kon-Tiki restraunts, then further down is the Kon-Tiki Ports, Ports o' Call (in the Sheraton_Dallas), The Chaparral Club (Southland Center) and the Luau (Beverly Hills).

I wonder if Stephen Crane had something to do with it.

K

On 2007-04-29 14:35, Unkle John wrote:
While looking through the Book of Tiki (BOT) I saw where I got in the inspiration for this post. There is a matchbook showing all the Kon-Tiki restraunts, then further down is the Kon-Tiki Ports, Ports o' Call (in the Sheraton_Dallas), The Chaparral Club (Southland Center) and the Luau (Beverly Hills).

I wonder if Stephen Crane had something to do with it.

I know that Stephen Crane Assoc. ran the Chaparral Club as a private club around the same time as Ports O' Call. That's why it was listed on the matchbook. It was on the 37th floor and later moved to the 38th.

Pages: 1 2 replies