Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mission Tiki!

Pages: 1 20 replies

Aloha folks, I am a project to help decorate the Mission Tiki Drive-in movie theatre. This is an old-school drive-in that is in operating status in the city of Montclair .
This place is going to be too cool just from the possible events that could be held there. Tiki Movie night, bands, carshows, hotrod nights, Hawaiiana swapmeets, cult movie nights/luaus....... y'all get the picture. So the grand re-opening with the Tiki theme is set for June 2005 We need a name for the event and could use some help. Think of a name that could be used as an annual event (hukilau, Tiki Oasis,...) that ties in the drive-in thing as well as Tiki. I'll(we'll) hook up the person who thinks up the winning name for this future annual event. With what? Sheesh, Something cool I guess. So help a brother out and chime in.

M

Hey Danny!

This sounds incredible. What a wonderful opportunity. There has obviously been some brainstorming going on. Making this venue appeal across the 'platforms', i.e., tiki, surf, rockabilly, etc., definately has promise.

So, after much rum-ination, my fave is: Tiki L.A.
I know, I know, it sounds lame, until....you pronounce it phonetically!

Tikila!

O.K., fine, I'll go back to ruminating...give us a ring, Timmy

B

Very cool Danny.......for us old folks the drive-in was way better than a theater. My parents would load us into the Rambler station wagon to see classics like Godzilla and House On Haunted Hill. Forget the baby-sitter. We would play on the swingset under the screen untill they flashed the lights, then count the rows till we got back to the car. Intermission with popcorn (and real butter) and very bad pizza. As a teen it was sneaking in a bunch of friends in the trunk or climbing over the back fence. great spot to take a date......tho not much of the movie was seen.

Are you looking for a name for all events there or just Tiki specific? Gotta go to work so I'll just throw a couple out there.....

Mission Mania
Americana Drive-Inn

Later.......

D

YEA! San Bernardino County
:tiki: FINALLY :tiki: gets some tiki of it's own! And it's a Drive-In to boot! Thank the Tiki Gods for giving the insight to the "powers that be" to get Danny in on this project. This is very, very cool! Yipeee!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-01 08:05 ]

TM

Danny, with you in the mix, it's gotta be cool! I'm a Film Noir buff so here goes....TIKI NOIR. I think of great old black & whites when I think about the drive in. I envision a night-time event and the logo design has 100's of possibilities!

I think "Mission: TIKI!" would be a cool name for a Tiki themed event.

sweet, you could fold in some 60's private eye flavor...

D

How bout Noche Del Tiki...
I like freddiefreelance's "Mission: Tiki" alot too...more idears as they come.

Ok. Here are my humble submissions:

Hot Rods & Tiki Gods
Custom Rods & Tiki Gods
Tradewinds and Tailfins
Tail-Gate Luau
Four-by Bali Hai
Drive-by Bali Hai
Castaway Park & Pay
Four-Door Bora Bora
Four-on-the-Floor Bora Bora
Car Keys & Coconut Trees
Hula Hips & Oil Drips
Aloha Double Feature
South Seas Grease
Bora Bora Stomp
Tire Scorches and Tiki Torches

I'm gonna let it percolate a bit longer. Maybe I can come up with some more.

Sabu

damn. I got all excited. I thought you meant Montclair, NJ.

-g-

On 2005-03-01 09:41, DawnTiki wrote:
How bout Noche Del Tiki...
I like freddiefreelance's "Mission: Tiki" alot too...more idears as they come.

"Noche del Tiki" sounds like a good name for a Christmas time event, or maybe "Buena Noche del Tiki"?

HT

If anyone wants to pick me up one of each, I'd certainly be willing to compensate for your troubles!

Howz about:

Drivin' Me Tiki!

D

Night of the Tiki sounds so much more exotic in spanish plus it gives you the tie in with the word Mission. I know I don't speak ANY spanish but I always thought "noche" meant "night" I don't get the Christmas reference Frediefeelance. Noche Del Tiki just rolls off the tounge so easy like. My husband thinks it sounds to much like "Nacho Del Taco" what does he know...hmmmfph!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-03-01 14:55 ]

Sweet! We could have Show and Tell Tiki day! Like that show were you drag in an old relic Aunt Martha had and some old fart tells you it'd be worth far more if'n you hadn't painted it electric green. But we could bring our coolest finds and brag! And swap.

Good to see this is underway! I would love to hear from Teri. Tell her Tiki Kiliki says Hi.

Sabu had the greatest suggestion: Hot Rods & Tiki Gods!

I likes peeps, keep'em coming. Christie, roger wilco !

Idol Engines
Headlights Hawaiian Style
Mission Mana
Mission Makahiki
Moonlight Malahini Make-out
Shaka Picture Show
HemiHeminukunukuapuaa'a

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2005-03-02 00:22 ]

M

Jeepers! Those are some nice ones! Howzabout:

Shiny-shiny-coco-pop!

well,it sounded good at the time....