Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Best of SoCal?

Pages: 1 16 replies

I swear, I SWEAR--

I searched before posting this. Found lots of spots, but not a lot of recommendations.

We'll be in SoCal the First Weekend in April for a wedding....flying into LAX on Wednesday, March 30, one night there, then down to San Diego for the wedding weekend through Monday, back to OC or LA county for 2 more nights.

My Wahine is a dabbler in Tiki...she digs it to a certain extent, but doesn't want to spend ALL our Free time in persuit of Tiki--

Soooo...under a somewhat limited time constraint, what should I absolutely not miss?

So far, I'm thinking we'll stay in Hollywood on Wednesday, and make our first visit to the Tiki Ti; and lunch or dinner at Bali Hai in SD, plus at least a drink or 2 at that new place in the Gaslamp District.

What else should I try and squeeze in, both in SD and back in the LA area? There's probably a pretty decent chance the return nights (Monday and Tuesday, 4/4 and /5) will be in OC--I've got a few comp tix to DL, plus I'm thinking (from past visits) that 1 night up around Hollyweird/downtown is enough.

Also, I'm open to any sort of ideas....bar, restaurant, store, flea market...whatever.

Please suggest away....

Thanks,

Scott

[ Edited by: new2tiki on 2005-01-19 22:27 ]

J

Man you gotta go to to Trader Vic's, IMHO its the ultimate ( old school, the real deal)(but bring your wallet). In OC check out the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna.

H

new2tiki, immediately go out and buy a copy of Tiki Road Trip. You need this book.

You should also explore http://www.critiki.com .

But while we're at it, for the Los Angeles area, in addition to Tiki Ti I recommend visiting the Bahooka in Rosemead, or Sam's Seafood in Huntington Beach.

If you do visit the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna, be sure to order a Lapu Lapu.

Your plan is pretty sound, Bali Hai here in San Diego a must, the place in Gaslamp is decorated awfully well, but its vibe is more yuppie than tiki (this may have changed since I was there last).

This is not a tiki place but it's a kissin' cousin -- the "Theme Building" at LAX. Can't miss it. The restaurant -- I think it's called "Encounter" -- is just not to be believed. George Jetson meets Hugh Hefner, heavy on the Jetsons. Just the most gorgeous Space Age Retro Atomic Bachelor Pad I've ever laid eyes on, guarantee it'll knock your socks off. Drinks and service suck, but does not matter. I'd really make time for it, if you could.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2005-01-20 10:36 ]

On 2005-01-20 10:35, Satan's Sin wrote:

This is not a tiki place but it's a kissin' cousin -- the "Theme Building" at LAX. Can't miss it. The restaurant -- I think it's called "Encounter" -- is just not to be believed. George Jetson meets Hugh Hefner, heavy on the Jetsons. Just the most gorgeous Space Age Retro Atomic Bachelor Pad I've ever laid eyes on, guarantee it'll knock your socks off. Drinks and service suck, but does not matter. I'd really make time for it, if you could.

[ font>

Yes--check out the "Encounter" thye outside is incredible!! I have never been inside.

When you get off the plane, do this, trust me it's a good time. Go check out Encounters, It's at LAX, takealookaround, then beeline it to the Purple Orchid, it's in El Segundo on yer way to L.A. (proper). then swing by Trader Vics in Beverly Hills, have a Mai-Tai, then scurry down sunset to tha Lava Lounge and maybe they'll have a cool combo performing, listen to a coupla songs THEN go to the "MECCA"...TIKI TI! (farther down sunset bl.) and drink the night away. That my friend is a good time, and do-able in an evening depending on arrival time. THEN, upon your return to L.A. from S.D., hit the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach, then cruise up beautiful Pacific Coast Hwy. to Huntington Beach and visit Sam's Seafood for lunch, zip up Beach bl. and buy lots 'o boo from Bamboo Ben's, get on the 605 north and pop-in on the other "MECCA", Oceanic Arts (prepare to be delighted), then end your wonderful day with dinner at the Bahooka! You can hit Encounters back at LAX if you skipped it on day 1. Again, trust me, Mrs. New2Tiki'll dig it.

N

Thanks for all the great suggestions, all....I have the Tiki Road Trip book, and have seen critiki.com . I just wanted some "expert opinions"(seems like I've got 'em).

If anyone else has anything to add, please do....

Right now, we'll probably (loosely) follow Tikitortured's touring plan, staying at the Standard Hollywood on Wednesday night. We really dig the Boys of Summer, so there's a good chance we'll be at the Angels' Home Opener on Tuesday, 4/5. Suggestions for near the Stadium??

Scott

TM

Hey new2tiki,
Is there any tiki in Savannah? I go there for business once or twice a year and haven't had any luck.

D

The Island restaurant in the Hanalei Hotel is just a hop skip and a jump from the Bali Hai. Make sure you walk around the grounds. For me personally I prefer the atmosphere there over the Bali Hai. You gotta see Humpherey's at night with the torches all lit up. And Oceanic Arts in Whittier is a MUST!

http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=247

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-20 20:20 ]

...and dont forget the House of Tiki on Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa.

Tiki Matt:

If there's anything Tiki in Savannah, I haven't found it. There are some cool places, but nothing even remotely resembling Tiki. Hale Tiki in Augusta is the closest that I know of.

Another SoCal ????--

Any cool/unique places to stay around Anaheim for a couple nights? Looks like most of the old Googie/touristy themed places around DL have been sanitized--

thanks,
Scott

Scott N2tiki, about your Anaheim quest. I knew this guy years ago named John English. He moved down to the LA area and became an vintage expert on a lot of things about Anaheim. I think he still belongs to a group called MODCOM. Track him down and ask him--tell him that Bruce Woody Woodbury from San Francsico says "hi". Please post your findings-I am curious about Anaheim.
In Seal Beach the Parasol Restaurant is still around(I beleive) that is a must see!! It is a great diner with an umbrella shape, umbrella light fisxtures and more.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-01-21 11:56 ]

N

I will be going to Anaheim with some friends mid February. I have a hotel, but am wondering what we should see in the area that is Tiki. I would love any suggestions.

Thanks.

I know it's been mentioned previously, but I totally recommend Sam's Seafood. Go check out their floor show, and definitely get a look at the bar.

You can also try Hilo Hattie's at the Block in Orange, they do sell some tiki mugs and the like there.

[i]
In Seal Beach the Parasol Restaurant is still around(I beleive) that is a must see!! It is a great diner with an umbrella shape, umbrella light fisxtures and more.

The last Parasol is still there.

http://images.google.com/images?q=parasol%20seal%20beach&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

In reconsideration of my previous suggestion (Hilo Hattie)...skip that and go to Oceanic Arts instead. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Pages: 1 16 replies