Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food / Navy Grog recipes

Post #774609 by Hamo on Tue, Mar 28, 2017 10:17 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 28, 2017 10:17 PM

Enjoying my second-ever Navy Grog as we speak, this time with an improved ice cone (when compared to my first attempt).

We all know about using either a pilsner glass or Beachum Berry's stainless steel mold to make an ice cone. If you're in a financial position to support the Bum by buying his mold, please do so. But there's definitely a frugal element to tiki culture, so if you're strapped for cash and need to save your money for rum, here's an economical way to make a decent ice cone.

I don't have any pilsner glasses and don't regularly need them, so I didn't really want to buy one just to use as a Navy Grog ice cone mold. Instead, this weekend I went to Dollar Tree and picked up a 2-pack of plastic champagne flutes for $1. Then I filled one flute with crushed ice and used the handle of my metal bar spoon to create a space for the straw before removing the cone from the flute and putting it in the freezer.

Benefits of this method include the price and the fact that the champagne flute is plastic, thus making it less vulnerable to breakage and a better option for transportation.

The cone turned out great, much better than the first time when I used a conical cocktail glass for the mold.