Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A Couple 'O Totems

Pages: 1 20 replies

I decided to start cataloging my entire collection this weekend - mugs, paper (menus, postcards, etc), artwork, sculptures and of course carvings. Part of this process involves me creating a sort of personal "catalog" of everything in my collection. My intention is to document the background of not only the piece but also the artist of each item.

As such, this weekend I decided to start with the tiki poles. I began taking photographs and thought I would share a few of them with you. Here is a small part of my carving collection with some short tidbits of history on them. I didn't post everything -- just the one's from artists you may recognize.

From left to right:
House of Tiki, Gecko, Tiki Diablo, Keigs20

The Maori by Gecko was carved specially for me during his Mainland tour in 2003 during a TC Carving Session at the Lagoon Room (I traded one of my paintings for it).

The Tiki Diablo piece known as "Tiki Ricardo" doubles as a Conga Drum and is a Gallery piece from the Age of Aquarius show at Copro Nason. And yes, he is the predecessor of the Macumba mug.

The Keigs Ku is a replica of the Kahiki Moon Ku. I asked Keigs to leave it unfinished so as to emphasize the grain in the log -- its made of cedar and smells great too!

From left to right:
Tiki Tony, Bosko, Tiki Diablo

I first spotted the Tiki Tony in a Rip Curl shop in Santa Monica and I always regretted walking away from it. I later saw it at Tiki Oasis and this time I took it home.

The Tiki Diablo on the right was carved for my daughter's big luau bash when she turned 1.

From left to right:
Crazy Al, Lake Surfer, Tiki Diablo, Loonatiki

The Crazy Al piece is made of resin based on Hang Tiki. Its super light and looks just like a palm log.

The Lake Surfer piece came from the Carving Methodology thread. Here's a pic of it in progress.

The Tiki Diablo piece was carved for Tiki Farm's Big 'Ol Tiki Bash party back in 2002.

The Loonatiki piece is named Congee. Does he look familiar? Saw this guy at Hukilau 2004 and had Loonatiki of Kreepy Tiki do one up for me.

From left to right:
PolyPop, JungleTrader, Made in PI, Bamboo Ben

The Jungle Trader piece is named Bastard2. I traded one of my art pieces for this.

The Bamboo Ben tiki on the far right had a whole set of living room furniture that matched it. Tiki Farm got one of the matching tables.

My Pair O' Leroys. The one on the right is signed on the back, "Aloha Adrian, Poly Pop - Keep the Moai Spirit. Leroy Schmaltz"

I've got a bunch more I'm going to photograph - a few authentic South Pacific pieces from unknown sources, masks, etc. I'll post pics of those when I get a chance (probably not until after the New Year).

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2004-12-26 16:45 ]

O

Wow, thanks for showing your collection.. I am green with envy..

Ahem... You said a couple.

Thats quite a collection. Thus Far

Very nice Pop.
Can't wait to see some more. Are you gonna share the broken mugs too? :wink:
Aloha,
:tiki:

Nice collection Pop! I'm honored to be featured with carvers of such caliber and fame!

8T

Great great stuff Poly pop!!
Nice to see those for sure. Next time you take photos, step in front of the camera so we can see you with the tiki poles and get a better sense of their size. (unless you are a giant or munchkin which wouldn't help much at all) Good luck in your cataloging efforts. Hope we can see many more pics of your collection!!!

A

Bong, Suicide Sam, FloraTina and I helped PolyPop move to his new digs. He had his mugs boxed up and we moved dozens of boxes. His Brother in law claimed Adrian "Needed Help" with his "Mug Problem". Wait till Adrian posts his Mug collection, I'm dieing to see it.
Mahalo,
Al

Thanks for sharing. You've told me about the collection, but never got to see it. Very impressive!

-vw

Great pics PolyPop, looking forward to seeing the mug collection!

Tbird.

Monkeyman wrote:
Ahem... You said a couple.
Thats quite a collection. Thus Far

HA! No kidding! I can't wait for the "Couple 'o Mugs" pictures.

(FYI-those of us that helped PolyPop move found that 75% of the boxes were mugs & tiki related items and the remaining 25% were his regular household goods!)

I am totally jelous. Thanks for showing your collection!!
Later,
Spermy

On 2004-12-20 09:23, Alnshely wrote:
Bong, Suicide Sam, FloraTina and I helped PolyPop move to his new digs. He had his mugs boxed up and we moved dozens of boxes. His Brother in law claimed Adrian "Needed Help" with his "Mug Problem". Wait till Adrian posts his Mug collection, I'm dieing to see it.
Mahalo,
Al

I have a sickness and it cannot be cured! But I knew you all would understand... unlike my brother-in-law who was not joking and was truly concerned.

On 2004-12-20 14:17, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
HA! No kidding! I can't wait for the "Couple 'o Mugs" pictures.

(FYI-those of us that helped PolyPop move found that 75% of the boxes were mugs & tiki related items and the remaining 25% were his regular household goods!)

Yes, when I moved to my current residence about a dozen TC'ers helped me (to which I am SOOOO grateful). It was funny watching Suicide Sam's and Bong's reaction as they unloaded wall after wall of tiki mug boxes from the back of the moving truck.... I guess you had to be there.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-12-20 16:04 ]

D

It looks like Poly Pop's garage is the REAL Tiki Central :wink:

Pop does have a very extensive collection. He's been collecting from way before BOT hit the shelves.

Like Al, I too wait with an......ticipation of seeing the mugs in all those fu*$ing boxes marked "mugs" that we hauled into his mansion.

From left to right:
PolyPop, JungleTrader, Made in PI, Bamboo Ben

Wo! I forgot about those. PP- That thing sticks out like a sore thumb!!! It's soooo non traditional!!

p.s. what's under the car cover?

On 2004-12-20 20:45, RevBambooBen wrote:

Wo! I forgot about those. PP- That thing sticks out like a sore thumb!!! It's soooo non traditional!!

p.s. what's under the car cover?

Yeah, its a cool design.

Under the cover is a Benz I'm restoring. Might put it on the market soon though...

Pop, what a happy family! Ben, I like your Moai, that could be Kon-Id item in the future.

can not wait to see more pics of your collection, a great inspiration to all of us tiki hunters and gatherers.....

wow! That's all I can say!!!
This is why I love to come to this web-site! I am learning so much about differant artists and seeing that I am not alone in my search for all things TIKI.

UNBELIEVABLE, Poly. I thought Bong had a huge collection. Maybe there's room for an A-A tiki in there someday!

Aloha,

Aaron

Hey poly-pop, that's one nice collection you got there. And this is only a small portion of the entire tiki collection? Wow....I'm impressed.

did you carve anymore? is that the only one?

Thanks for sharing!

Pages: 1 20 replies