Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cutting bamboo horizontally

Pages: 1 11 replies

Does anybody know the best way to cut 6-8inch diameter bamboo horizontally, so as to "clam" it? Band saws are usually only about 5 inches high. The cuts have to be precise and eyeballin' it with a rotary saw is too "iffy", Whatamigonnado?

[ Edited by: Tikitortured on 2004-11-18 12:40 ]

TM

Table saw is the best. If your blade doesn't go high enough, pop out the 'joints' on the inside of the bamboo with a piece of conduit. Then you can split it with a sturdy knife and hammer. If there's any other easier way, I'd be interested.

[ Edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-11-18 13:14 ]

B

Find someone with a Bigger bandsaw.They come Plenty wide enough. Or if you can draw the line you want cut, you can use a Jigsaw or a Sawzall as long as you clamp the boo down.

I was able to split mine using a razor knife and a vice to hold it down. My problem is that I had trouble nailing it with out it splitting, Someone should start a working with bamboo thread

K

I just use a machette sized knife. I pound the blunt side of the blade with a hammer all the way down the pole. Cheap and easy.

K

You can nail them sum guns without splittin it by predrillin holes.

TM

On 2004-11-18 21:42, KAHAKA wrote:
I just use a machette sized knife. I pound the blunt side of the blade with a hammer all the way down the pole. Cheap and easy.

Exactly!

I've posted this link a bazillion times but one more time won't hurt.

For large quantities of bamboo to split - definately use a table saw, as you will get very sore from manual splitting tons of bamboo. For smaller quantities of just about any diameter bamboo use one of these:
http://www.hidatool.com/bamboopage/hatchets.html
or for more than one split:
http://www.hidatool.com/bamboopage/splitters.html
No need to hammer it on the way down - just use your muscle through the nodes. Makes loud "POPS" as you go through them. good fun. IF you do it right, it makes a nice clean, straight split. Hammering can splinter the split.

Always pre-drill holes in bamboo before you screw or nail. The bamboo will split if you don't.
anything else?

On 2004-11-19 10:03, Polynesiac wrote:
For smaller quantities of just about any diameter bamboo use one of these:
http://www.hidatool.com/bamboopage/hatchets.html
or for more than one split:
http://www.hidatool.com/bamboopage/splitters.html

I picked up these exact two tools a few weeks ago and they work like a charm. Luckily this store is just down the street from my house, and it's a great little Japanese wood- and bamboo-working shop. Crazy chisel selection with accordingly crazy prices (though I'm sure they're worth it). They give out tip sheets for working with bamboo, too.
I can't imagine ripping bamboo on a table saw - doesn't it just splinter and explode?

Hey Tiki-Bot,

I know that place! It's in Berkeley, right? Coincidentally, I'm doing some engineering work for the new High School in El Cerrito (your back yard), & last time I flew up there I had some time to kill. I looked up woodworking supply in the yellow pages, & that's what led me there.

You're right about the prices. All of their chisels are imported from Japan and made by hand. Ever paid, say, upwards of $200 for ONE chisel? This is NOT Harbour Freight (not that I'd buy chisels from them either).

They did have some neat bamboo splitting tools, though.

A-A

T

On 2004-11-19 13:28, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Hey Tiki-Bot,

I know that place! It's in Berkeley, right?......

They did have some neat bamboo splitting tools, though.

Yeah, right across from REI. I meant to add that if anyone orders something from them, you should also get a Japanese razor saw if you don't already have one. There's no better tool for cross-cutting bamboo and you will never use a crappy old-school saw again. If you get one for cutting bamboo, get one with the spine rail on the blade.

you should also get a Japanese razor saw

yep got one of them too. works like a charm for the amount of bamboo I use. Cuts real quick and easy. If you only use it to cut bamboo, it will last a long time.
Must be nice to have that store down the street from you. I order over the phone, and they are the nicest people - very willing to help.

For the HB locals, they sell the splitters at franks cane and rush too.

I'd buy their chisels if I had the $$$, A friend of mine went to a japonese wood working expo sponsered by Hida and he had a chance to use many of the tools they sell. He said they were some of the best quality he had ever seen (He's a master wood worker) and if he had the $$$ he'd buy them all!

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-11-19 15:01 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies