Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A piece of British Tiki at last

Pages: 1 21 replies

I got this yesterday, my first piece of British tiki.

It's a souvenir from the Butlins Beachcomber bars which are sadly gone now.
Are there any other pieces out there like this that anyone has?

Where did you score that one , and come on, how much?

I was doing a google search on Butlins to find out more about the beachcomber bars and it came up as an ebay listing (no mention that is was tiki) so I put in a bid, and got it for £8.50

Genius!

Nice score!
I found one of those a few years ago in a little junk shop for £2. They may have been used as ashtrays?

They also came out with a cool fierce axe-handled Tiki mug. I had two of these - one which I sent to MidniteTiki and vanished en-route, and my own which vanished during my move up North :(. As a result, I've been looking on eBay for ages, and actually won one last night! :)

Butlins also sold a few other bits and pieces of Tiki merch. I've seen a Beachcomber tray for sale, and managed to get hold of a little ceramic box-type thing with a photo of one of the Beachcombers in it's lid. I'll see if I can post a photo later.

Trader Woody

Post a picture of the mug

On 2004-10-22 03:42, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Post a picture of the mug

Say please!

Ok - this is hot-linked to the picture off eBay so it might vanish at some point

Trader Woody

Please very nice.

Thank you.

Please tell me what was the ebay description for future ref?

thanks

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-10-22 04:49 ]

K

Great mug Trader Woody. I know you're familiar with the British Pathe Beachcomber footage from the post here, but cheekytiki and Kon-Hemsby might not have seen it! Cheers guys!

Scotty

T

as those Brilliant Guinness commericals say "BRILLIANT!", thanks for sharing and telling about these cool Brit tiki places

On 2004-10-22 01:47, cheekytiki wrote:
Are there any other pieces out there like this that anyone has?

yep. i picked up one of those plates when i lived in london. honestly, i can't remember if i got in on brick lane or on ebay.co.uk.

thanks for sharing,
tc

To complete the Brit-tiki collector set you must have the..

1. Butlin's Beachcomber Ashtray/pin dish
  2. Butlin's Beachcomber Mug
  3. Sheraton Skyline Tiki Mug
  4. One of the half glimpsed Tiki mugs from the Pathe footage of the Mayfair Beachcomber (the Brit-tiki Holy Grail)

On the subject of Brit-tiki finds i scored these of eBay the other month..

three tiny tiki crumbs from a lost tiki bar..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-21 09:16 ]

V

this ashtray comes very often on british Ebay.
Nice mug also...

Kon,

To find the mug, I just did a search under 'Butlin's Mug'. The title was actually "MUG - BUTLIN'S BEACHCOMBER SOUVENIR - SHORTER ".

I don't think they are all that rare. After all, this will be the third I've had!

Here's some of the other stuff from Butlins along with the Sheraton Skyline mug. The Sheraton Heathrow mug is actually just a Daga, so isn't really home-grown, though it has the hotel details printed on the back.

Sorry, putting it up on Shutterfly loses a lot of the detail.

I've another mug which I forgot to put in the photo that may just be from the Mayfair Beachcomber as I bought it in the UK and haven't seen it anywhere else. It's not like any of those shown in the film, but the film wasn't really cataloguing the full mug spectrum of the place. Hmmmm........who knows?

Trader Woody

Cheers TW, it's always nice to see some Britiki.

On 2004-10-22 10:56, Trader Woody wrote:
It's not like any of those shown in the film, but the film wasn't really cataloging the full mug spectrum of the place. Hmmmm........who knows?

Trader Woody

Until somebody's Grandad hands them a mug they nicked from the Beachcomber the closest image we have of the potential mugs is this frame from Pathe..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki on 2004-10-23 09:18 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-21 09:18 ]

I love that photo! A glimpse into the unknown world of the Beachcomber. The bartender is obviously preparing hot drinks, though, so I assume these mugs would differ quite considerably from the ones used for the usual cocktails.

A few months back, I got a few screen grabs from the Beachcomber movie & can't remember if I posted them or not, so this is as good a place as any. The footage itself is very blurry, so I've tried just to focus in on the barware:

Is that a Tiki mug or just a salt shaker?

Well that's a Tiki bowl for certain!

Bar sign

Who was that sailor?

With the infamous parrot!

This album was recorded at the Beachcomber - I think it was the house band for a while.

Trader Woody

Pathe now allows you to download high quality stills from the footage, just pull up the footage then preveiw it as stills, if you click on the still you'll see the images in big preveiw window, thus you can see the mugs more clearly.

T

Hi guys
With reference to the butlins plate ,there are 2 types One has souvenir on it the other only has beachcomber bar, as i guess it was stolen from the bar itself(i have got both types) ,here is also 2 matchbooks from the mayfair hotel i found in a pile of junk at a toyfair!

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON on 2004-11-04 15:26 ]

Yeah Tikiwagon-ers can you post some pics please. Also please post some pictures of your georgeous tiki wagon.

Cheers

For the sake of completeness, here's the Butlins mug at home, along with the mug that may or may not be from the Mayfair Beachcomber:

Trader Woody

Great urban archeology! I love zooming in on details of postcards and photos, too bad they don't have the holographic Bladerunner capabilities...

Pages: 1 21 replies