Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

James Last and the great Brit-tiki beachcomber bar mystery

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hurrah for google, I think I've found where the original tiki bar billy butlins stole the idea from to make his beachcomber bar.

A DAY RETURN TO EASTBOURNE

My first excursion on the bands bus

Friday, March 26th, 1976, the James Last Orchestra arrived in London, to spend three weeks on the road, for their fourth United Kingdom & Ireland Tour. Their base for the first few days, the Mayfair Hotel, London. To relax after their journey from Hamburg, they spent the evening in the Beachcomber Nite Club at the Mayfair, relaxing until the early hours of Saturday morning.

you can read the rest of this rip roaring report on james last (yawn) at here.
since a butlins site mentioned that billy stole his idea from a club in mayfair we can assume that the mayfair hotel beachcomber is the one.

The hotel is the May Fair InterContinental
London,Stratton Street London, more hunting has found out that the beachcomber was removed in refurbishments in 1984. Bah sixteen years to late..

Look at this fantastic swizzle Doctor Z gifted me with for Christmas:

He found this at the Long Beach swapmeet in California of all places. A nice relic from the long-lost London Beachcomber. I really like the tiki design. I don't think I've seen any large tikis carved this way.

Sabu.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-01-22 00:46 ]

On 2005-01-22 00:46, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote: I don't think I've seen any large tikis carved this way.

Your unlikely too either bigbrotiki describes it as a "Marquesan toggle Tik" which are tiny little tikis like japanese NETSUKE, there are some in my local museum.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.