Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki / Tiki Finds

Post #79755 by Formikahini on Sun, Mar 7, 2004 7:12 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

It's a BANNER DAY for yours truly:

• I found a personal Holy Grail - a postcard of the Houston Trader Vic's, site of my first introduction to tiki!! The same poles in the Atlanta one (which BK is faithfully homaging in his for for the Hale Tiki), nice tapa, roof, hanging lamps, and eye-hurting red geometric carpeting. And a lame (to me) Bali-looking gold mask.
  • Also, a postcard of Trader John's, found nowhere on TC and listed as closed in JT's Road Trip. It was in the "Cabana Beach Motel, U.S. Hwy 90, Biloxi, Miss., J. Mladinich & Sons, Owners & Operators". Also on the back:
    "Fun! Fun! Fun! and never a dull moment at Trader John's. Home of exotic mixed drinks. Nationally famous performers offer continuous entertainment in a completely friendly atmosphere."
  • A postcard of the Weeki Wachee mermaids (here, tail-less)
  • A postcard of Cypress Gardens waterskiers ("water ballet") in what are essentially tutus!
  • A postcard of an attractive Hawaiian couple with a great tiki at "the Polynesian Center at Laie, in Hawaii." Written on the back:
    "Hi Mom,
    We posed for this picture yesterday. As you can see we have gone native. Having a good time.
    Love, Poni & Julie"
  • AND: a Tahitian Lanai mug, the early one in green with the bamboo handle. (Thank you Naugatiki for the fotos on your cool Waikikian site!)
    http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikiantour4.htm

I now own a scanner and PROMISE to learn to load photos onto TC next weekend (Spring Break begins - wooHOO!)

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: formikahini on 2004-03-08 15:25 ]