Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki / Tiki Finds

Post #181193 by Kono on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 2:58 PM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.
K
Kono posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 2:58 PM

It's been quite a while since I'd gone looking for goods so I decided to do it up right this weekend. Thursday, Saturday and Monday were devoted to scouring thrift shops, antique malls and flea markets in search of tiki. Here's what I found:

(Front) Coco Joes tiki pen holder, Coco Joes menehune carving a tiki figurine, tiki from Guam. (Back) Yet another Don Ho glass for the collection, a glass that says "Mogambo Bar-Cafeteria TEL 6323 CAMAGUEY," Sea World tiki coffee mug (actually got two of those).

Close up of the Coco Joe. I've never seen this one before. The tag says he's "Kuipeka" and he carved the tiki wiki wiki, with his magic knife.

Pair of paint by numbers.

My second R-12 in the past few months. Yet another TV menehune stir. My second small Polynesian Village goblet, these are smaller than the more commonly found ones. My second Quon Quon decanter in the past six months, but the other one I found was not as in as good a shape and was lacking the stopper. And then there's a neat souvenir plate in the back.

Carved mask from Tonga. Weird little bowl up front. Unmarked moai mug. Graphic Novel "Maui - Legends of the Outcast." It was published in New Zealand.

Close up of the weird bowl thing.

69 cents at Goodwill.

Here's where I really scored. Menus! I never find menus (well there was one a couple months ago...but besides that one). I scored a bunch at a flea market. These three are all from Disney Polynesian Village. They're OK, pretty plain. They do have inserts hawking mai tais and Navy grogs, but no pics.

Two from Trader Vics. The large one is dated 1970 but does not say which location it came from. The smaller one is a mail out menu from the St Petersburg Florida TV. I wonder if the larger one is from St Pete as well?

Even though it's a mini in size, it's still a full nine page menu.

Beef 'n Reef, Cocoa Beach Florida. Nice tiki inside. Aloha! I never heard of the place.

Dobbs House Tiki.

Love this menu!

Apparently a chain of polynesian restaurants.

Funny but true: I scored all these menus at a flea market that's over an hour drive away out in the country. I ask the guy if he's got a shop. Yes. Where? His shop is about 400, maybe 500 YARDS from where I live! Weird. He doesn't have any more menus, but he's got tens of thousands of postcards so maybe I can find some nice tiki PCs.

A pretty good weekend even without the menus, which were a very nice icing on the cake.