Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki / Tiki Finds

Post #168645 by Sabu The Coconut Boy on Wed, Jun 29, 2005 1:29 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

Had to fight Doctor Z for this great set of owl mugs at a church rummage sale this Saturday:

Each of them is signed "Mary" on the underside:

So I was looking through my well-worn copy of the BOO later that day...

When suddenly I spot one of my mugs on page 67!

I couldn't help from shouting, "Oh My God!! I just found five pristine Mary Kibby's!" The actual mugs that were used to serve the famous Cinnamon-Coffees at Mary Kibby's DUMPLING-HAUS in Solvang. Rumor has it that you got to take the mug home as a souvenir if you ordered your coffee along with a hearty breakfast of aebleskiver, frikadeller and smørrebrød. But so few of these mugs have ever been found, that the story seems unlikely. And to think that I found five for a quarter apiece! These suckers go for hundreds on Ebay.

My question to Sven is - did you ever hear of more than one Mary Kibby showing up at once? Could these be dead-stock? They appear to be in new condition except for a lot of crazing to the glaze. Are you ever going to release a paperback version of the BOO to be sold at local donut shops?

For you newbies who haven't picked up a copy of the BOO, I'd highly reccomend hunting one down. Even though they're out of print, they still show up on eBay. Sven is just beginning to hit his stride as a writer of American pop-culture, but is still struggling charmingly with the English language at times, as can be seen in the odd-syntaxed title of his 30-page chapter on Macrame Owls:

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-06-29 01:32 ]