Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Whats the wierdest drink youve made or drank?

Pages: 1 45 replies

Years ago while working at a bar 2 guys were drinking paralizers and we ran out of milk. They were so drunk we used eggnog instead and they started calling them nog-a-lizers. Someone said christmas was coming soon today and it reminded me of that funny storie.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-09 00:13 ]

I was once given a drink called 'Gorilla Snot' is was Baileys and someting else that made the bailys curdle and colour it green but I dont know what.

last christmas my wife bought be a wonderful bottle of cask-conditioned scotch (aged in sherry barrels).

a couple weeks later i made us a batch of mai tais, and it was tasting kind of "off..."

the damn bottle of scotch was exactly the same shape as the appletons, down to the type of cap!!! DOH!

what was that, a highland tai? trader vic was probably rolling in his grave, calling me a "stinker."

needless to say, i drank it anyway :P

Long ago from Mongolia to Austria was once one vast empire. Traces of it's influance can be found here and there. In unsophisticated backwater places Fremented Horse Milk (a very old Mongol tradition) is still quaffed.

It's like fizzy yogurt, with a nice gymnasium finish. It does neutralize hot pepper burn in the mouth...but at such a cost.

eeek

one bleak night in Oregon I realized i had to get drunk immediately (boy troubles).

unfortunately, all the bars and liquor stores had closed and all I had in the form of alcohol was a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I called around for advice from my drinking buddies what to do. Someone suggested a Lynchburg Lemonade - but that required lemonade/citrusy stuff.

The closest thing I had was a crusty packet of orange gatorade powder. So I mixed that up and added the JD.

It was surprisingly good, and sort of nutritious (electrolytes). I call it "Gator Jack."

This drink is useful for heavy drinking while you're engaging in high energy -sweat-producing activities (like Bay to Breakers, hiking, etc)

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 on 2004-09-09 10:55 ]

Vodka, powdered gatorade, and pez.

On 2004-09-09 11:27, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Vodka, powdered gatorade, and pez.

is the Pez a garnish or is it pulverized into a powder in a mortar and pestle and mixed in?

On 2004-09-09 01:25, cheekytiki wrote:
I was once given a drink called 'Gorilla Snot' is was Baileys and someting else that made the bailys curdle and colour it green but I dont know what.

Maybe Rose's Lime?

Whenever a newbie comes into the bar I give them that shot for free. I tell him/her that the shot only tastes good if you swish it through your teeth a couple of times before you swallow it. Then I pour it and stand aside because as soon as the shot turns chunky it usually comes flying back out.

On 2004-09-09 11:50, finkdaddy wrote:

On 2004-09-09 01:25, cheekytiki wrote:

Maybe Rose's Lime?

Whenever a newbie comes into the bar I give them that shot for free. I tell him/her that the shot only tastes good if you swish it through your teeth a couple of times before you swallow it. Then I pour it and stand aside because as soon as the shot turns chunky it usually comes flying back out.

sounds like a Cement Mixer.

Cool topic!

Makes me wanna try Johnny Dollar's "Hai Tai"!

Just like necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows, so it goes with alcohol and its mixers...

Vodka plus wheat grass juice - The Lawnmower. I had imbibbed that, but it wasn't until Homer Simpson named it that I thought I'd try it again. It's a 1/10 rating beverage.

Tried pretty much all those "Naked" health type juices the wife brings home with various alcohols.

One time, a buddy of mine decided to put gin, olives, and a little vermouth in a blender with ice and make blended martinis.

It wasn't bad, he admitted shamefully.

In my college days I threw a Halloween party with my room mates, one who worked at GM Place(a stadium in Vancouver where the Canucks call home) he decided to invite pretty much the entire staff over, and each brought booze from 'work' with them, including a full sized keg. One of my guests was an Auzzie who had never celebrated Halloween before. He became the bartender and started mixing "Jet Fuel" in the blender. Anything and everything lying around went into those drinks. It was a good night, the next morning I found a drooling cop in my bed(I spent the night on the living room floor...I think...)

good times... good times.

not so strange, but red bull and vodka, makes ya drunk with lots of energy.

M

In college we'd mix Pabst Blue Ribbon with grape Kool-Aid powder. It foams up and erupts like a volcano, so you need a much larger glass with extra room to foam. Just tastes like fizzy soda pop. Shockingly, the robust, full-bodied taste of Pabst just disappears.

We called it (apologies in advance) a "Pabstsmear".

A Black Samurai - sake' and soy sauce.

Great when you're in a depressed mood and want to do penance for your sins.

TM1

alka-selter or Theraflu + vodka!

Think about it!

This drink isn't bad tasting, it just looks gross. Bloody Brain shot
peach schnapps
bailey's irish cream
sloe gin on top
It looks like a little brain floating in the shot glass.

This was back in my crazy teen years. I got some pure concentrate Hawaiian C. The kind that you get in the freezer section of the super market that's basically slush in a can until you add water to it. Kind of like lime aid. Anyway, that mixed with vodka and some nutmeg (the spice) which a friend of mine convinced myself and another friend had a hallucinogenic effect to it. Being the stupid ass kids we were, we just had to try it out. Well we didn't have much vodka, we added too much Hawaiian C, and I think we added WAY too much nutmeg. It was so thick we ended up eating it with a spoon. It was, by far, the nastiest tasting stuff I've ever had. By the way, the nutmeg did screw us up pretty good. It took 2 days for it to finally wear off!

I made myself a Red Bull Mai Tai when I got home from work 'cause I thought a Mai Tai with a little "boost" might help pick me up after a long, hot day. I'm still trying to SPIT the taste outta my mouth. That just shows to go what I've always said - Work is the curse of the drinking class!

K

Rum and prune juice. Always take a shot of rum or make a strong rum drink to cure those monthly crampies...but this time I was constipated too......

Hmmm, now I'm wondering why I even revealed that to you.

[ Edited by: Kalikiana on 2004-09-09 21:00 ]

J

On 2004-09-09 15:52, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
This drink isn't bad tasting, it just looks gross. Bloody Brain shot
peach schnapps
bailey's irish cream
sloe gin on top
It looks like a little brain floating in the shot glass.

Ragin' you stole my thunder! I'd always seen it called a Brain Hemorrhage - we started a tradition about 10 years ago where we'd have everyone meet at our house for many Brain Hemorrhages before going to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve...the good Catholics we are.

T

Me and Tikivixen brewed up something paticularly heinous last spring that we dubbed James Mistake (in tribute to Ray of course - although his mistake is a blessing to the rest of us).

'twas a most vile concoction (mine, not Ray's!).

Reread the story here (if you dare):

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3021&forum=10&start=75

J

While I'm on the subject of shots - anyone ever try a Chocolate Cake? Not exactly weird or unusual but pretty cool nonetheless. Take a lemon wedge, coat with sugar - set aside.
Pour a shot of Frangelico - drink.
Suck the sugar coated lemon wedge and your tastebuds are suddenly alive with the glorious taste of chocolate cake!

R

well tonight I had a new drink :

irish car bombs, it was a shot of half jamesons irish whiskey, half irish cream, wich was dropped into a half pint of guinnes and then pounded back. Not my first choice by anymeans

H

I thankfully don't tend to get too nutty when mixing alcohols, though I have had a cement mixer. Not recommended, unless you're an I'll-try-anything-once type.

Non-alchoholwise, my very darling (

T

Glenfiddich and Coke.

Glenfiddich and Coke

Oh man.......there's so many things wrong with that.....I don't even know where to begin. Did you just run out of all your other alcohol and feel like a mixed drink, or what?

Well, at least it was good scotch.

When I was 15 or 16 years old, one night, I drank Southern Confort with Dr. Pepper while downing one of those big super packs of vitamins that you find at any Gas Station or liquer store. I thought I was funny and I'd trip my friends out. Lator that night I found myself heaving the worst tasting vitamin flavored barf in a planter in front of 7-11. It was soooo bad I'll never forget it!!! I think that was one worst experiences I have ever had with alchohol.
Now I am so much more wiser!! I Think!!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-09 23:13 ]

W

(Edit: Oops...Got sidetracked by the thoughts of gorilla snot and steamed powdered milk and forgot the topic was "weird".)

The worst at home was Southern Comfort and Coke. They actually reccomend this drink ("Comfort Cola") in their ads and web site. Really hideous...And weird 'cause who the hell thinks that either Coke or Southen Comfort needs to be SWEETER?

Now and then I decide to try making up some new drink (as there aren't enough drink recipes in the world) and sometimes the immediate results aren't quite there. So numerous remixes with more juice and syrup and rum added and when it's good I usually have about two pitchers of the stuff which I call Hell Punch. It gets bottled and fridged and dealt with over the next couple weeks.

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2004-09-09 23:36 ]

I was going to mention both Bloody Brains and Irish Car Bombs. I actually really like ICBs.

Here is the world's stupidest drink:
Back when I was about 20, we used to do flaming shots (I can't remember what it was a shot of, though). We'd light the shots and pound them while they were still burning. Now this sounds like a stupid male macho show-off thing, but the people that introduced it to me were two young ladies that I used to work with!
Anyway, it usually wasn't a problem- the flame would go out as soon as it hit your mouth, but one night as I was doing like the tenth one, I missed my mouth. The flame ran down my chin before going out. The next morning I had these burn blisters running down my chin and throat- I couldn't shave for weeks. Needless to say, the last time I tried that.

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-09-10 09:03 ]

On 2004-09-09 21:05, johntiki wrote:

we started a tradition about 10 years ago where we'd have everyone meet at our house for many Brain Hemorrhages before going to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve...

i did a similar thing once with spiked egg nog... swirly head amps the reverb of bass-y organ music on marble... needless to say it was a moving experience :)

What is it with Southern Comfort?

I downed a twixer(Canada speak for a 26oz bottle) of the stuff at the age of 15 and ended up being sick in the bus stop, dry heaving on the bus, and went all the way downtown and back out again before I realized I missed my stop. I can't even remember if I had a hangover or not.

I still won't touch the stuff to this day.

On 2004-09-10 11:30, Tikiwahine wrote:
What is it with Southern Comfort?
I still won't touch the stuff to this day.

You got that right! I was a big fan of Southern Comfort back in the late '60's / early '70's I think because Janis Joplin drank it and that was good enough for me. Then I drank way too much one day (probably in conjunction with some other incompatible "stuff") and got soooo very sick. I could never drink Southern Comfort again. Even the smell makes me want to blow my groceries. Nowadays I call it "Sudden Discomfort".

W

A friend was into Southern Comfort for a while (that's where Ihad the awful "Comfort Cola" ). After I tried the stuff I couldn't believe he liked it. Then one day he no longer did. Didn't get sick or over do it, he just couldn't stand it. Now when it's mentioned he shivers and makes a retching noise. So I like to mention it to him a lot.

While it is a fun drink for 15 year olds and rock legends, Southern Comfort can be a uesful ingedient when making up cocktails. You just have to treat it like Chartreuse or Pernod, more of a flavoring than an ingredient. Used just right it can give a drink an elusive edge of mystery.

T

From * Playboy's Host and Bar Book * by Thomas Mario 1971:

Georgia Rum Cooler
2 1/2 oz. light rum
1 teaspoon salted peanuts
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1 teaspoon grenadine
1 teaspoon Falernum
1/2 cup crushed ice
Blend in blender at high speed for 30 seconds. Pour into tall 14 oz. glass. Let froth settle and add 2 ice cubes and a splash of cold club soda. Stir. Sprinle lightly with cinnamon. Pass a platter of cold country ham sliced paper-thin.

The peanuts made a gritty texture and it tasted, well, weird!

2 days after I had my braces put on (3 years ago) I could not chew anything because it was so painful. Everything I ate was in liquid form. One of my favorite meals was Shredded Cheese, Pinto Beans, and Chicken Noodle Soup mixed together and then blended until it was all liquified.

Rum and prune juice. Always take a shot of rum or make a strong rum drink to cure those monthly crampies...but this time I was constipated too......

The original Mud Slide.

Buffalo Sweat. 1/2 Bacardi 151 & 1/2 Tobasco Sause. My first time a bunch of college buddies & I did a round of Alabama Slammers (red and sweet). Mine was the Buffalo Sweat (red and SPICY). They all had a good laugh while my head exploded.

About 15 years ago I was determined to invent a drink I could call an "aquarium." I never quite completed it because at the time I couldn't find any gummy fish or sharks to put in it, which would be the defining characteristic of an Aquarium.

One night after running out of any other mixers I ended with something I thought was closer... it was gin, rum, vodka, blue cruacao, Mountain Dew and possibly some other things within arm reach.... I think it was kinda good, but I really don't remember anything until at least 12 hours later.

-T.J.

W

The Space Age G & T

Gin and Tang

J

I live in an area just bursting with small Oriental grocery stores, so I often buy the odd flavored sodas they often carry, just to check out my constituution.
I recommend "Bird's Nest Drink" - small can, sweet but chunky. From what I remember, the ingredients were Sugar, Water, Bird's Nests. Mmmmmm. Bird Puke.
I have tried many others, but few have I finished. Bean Curd Drink. Grass Soda. Something that tasted like shrimp. shudder

The worst alcoholic drink:
Kahlua and Tomato Juice.
It's called it a "Bloody Stool"...

T

Tikifish, someone on another forum reported that he had been given a very expensive bottle of single malt scotch as a birthday gift. While away on business, his (now ex) wife and her sister decided that they wanted to get smashed, and were determined to do it with whiskey and Coke. That was the only whiskey in the house. They drank the entire bottle. With Coke. Ouch.

The "cement mixer" is NOT a drink. It's a nasty prank one plays on someone else. Anyone ever tries handing ME one, I'll hand it back - and not trust any other drink they ever hand me!

Worst drink? There's a bar in Seattle that I used to like (though I rarely went there) called the Hazlewood. Not a tiki bar. They had loads of uncommon liquor and lots of creative and tasty drinks, with the menu leaning toward pre-Prohibition stuff like Sazerac, Horse's Neck, etc. and the tender, a big stocky gal, is always friendly. I usually go to the Zig Zag, and they've turned me from a gin-hater. They do stuff with gin, citrus, St. Germain and I can't even count how many cucumber chunks muddled together... Fantastic! I told the Hazlewood tender, a different person than I usually saw there, to mix me something with Hendrick's gin, cucumber and St. Germain. I watched her mix it, and it contained one thin cucumber slice. It tasted like a glass of Hendrick's on ice. Awful.

I then asked for a rum drink. I asked them what sorts of darker rums they had, and she told me they had...Appleton, I think. I asked for something smokey and rich with that. She made me something that tasted like cheap rum and water - and I SAW her grab well rum. "I asked for Appleton," I said. She told me, "It's in there." It wasn't. It sucked. How badly did these drinks suck?

I can hold my liquor fairly well, and I don't easily get sick by mixing liquors. I felt terribly sick all the rest of the night. Not drunk, just very ill. I haven't been back.

Now, drinks I EXPECTED to suck? NOT COCKTAILS, but... My boyfriend and I were hunting dumpy old California liquor stores for vintage booze, and we randomly ran across some bottles of Thunderbird. And then some Thunderbird T.C., which was apparently Gallo's attempt to make a "higher class" TBird (as if). We decided to buy bottles of all the so-called 'bum wines' and we bought three of each - two for display and one to actually drink, the latter of which went in his fridge for a while. Thunderbird smells like feet. It's sort of palatable while cold, or when mixed with grapefruit juice (see old commercial for TBird "shake 'em up" on YouTube - it's a TBird Brass Monkey!) but let it come up to room temp. and it's bad. Everyone has had MD 20/20 at some high school party, but the "Bling Bling Blue Raspberry" flavor (which has gold bling on the label!!) is VILE. And "wild eye" AKA Wild Irish Rose is absolutely undrinkable - makes the Blue Raz Mad Dog taste like a fine vintage by comparison! Oddly enough, Night Train Express tastes like a nice dessert wine - I'd hate to get drunk on it, though! Incidentally, if anyone can find me a full bottle(s) of the long-discontinued MD 20/20 flavor "Buck Bunny Twisted Licorice" (a Jager knockoff with a literal 'bunny buck' [jackalope] on the label) you'll have my undying gratitude! Man, I loves me some anise but...licorice wine...?? These bottles now comprise the top shelf of my cabinet, intentionally.

i made a drink based of a bloody bull that tasted exactly like eating a taco.

Frampaign! You take a 40oz of malt liquor and take a big slug off it. Then you pour in the little bottle of mad dog and voila. Taught to me by a bum in Denver at age 19. Never again. Evil eye makes a commercial version...

T

That's an awful variant on the Brass Monkey, which uses a 40 and OJ and is vile enough already. Question is: what flavor of Mad Dog? They vary from merely bad to undrinkable.

C

I once created the drink that shall not speak its name, it contained whatever spirits I had handy (probably gin vodka and rum) and a medly of every overripe piece of fruit in my fridge. It tasted great to my already numb mouth, but it created a hangover that lasted an entire week.

G

I remember it being blue. Ouch.

Pages: 1 45 replies