Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's Reference in 1970s Woody Allen Writing

Pages: 1 7 replies

W

I've been re-reading the Woody Allen collection "Side Effects" (original publication dates from 1975-1980) and came across a reference to Trader Vic's which is perfectly on the mark for the draw of exotica in the urban setting. (I don't recall reading this here before, or in The Book.)

The piece is "Retribution". In it the speaker is trying to get a bead on the feelings of a woman he likes. So he schemes:

"Past succesful campaigns suggested instantly the proper route to take. I would steer her to Trader Vic's, that dimly lit, foolproof Polynesian den of delights where dark, promising corners aboundeed and deceptively mild rum drinks quickly unchained the fiery libido from its dungeon. A pair of Mai Tai's and it would be anybody's ball game. A hand on the knee. A sudden uninhibited kiss. Fingers intertwined. The miraculous booze would work its dependable magic. It had never failed me in the past. Even when the unsuspecting victim pulled back with eyebrows arched, one could back out gracefully by imputing all to the effects of the island brew."

Another reference later in the piece:

Three days later we sat huddled in the dark of my favorite Polynesian restaurant, and loose from three Bahia's, she poured out her heart..."

[edited cause my intial response was mean]

verrry interesting... woody allen was very funny once but he kind of vibes me out now. totally my opinion, not trying to start anything here...

but frankly which comidians of old are as good as they were in their prime... maybe lenny bruce pulled a good career move... (sorry, rambling)

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-08-30 07:55 ]

That must have been the 'old' Woody. It seems his new love interests aren't old enough to actually get into a bar (or even buy cigaretts; or reach the peddels on a bike; or brush their adult teeth (cause the don't have them yet) or blah, blah, blah).

Actually, I love Woody Allen - you go dawg!

bong is back! :) :) :)

W

Yes. Well, whatever.

Woofmutt,

I sincerely didn't mean to rain on your 15 minutes...

Here in Seattle rain is considered fairly common.

Pages: 1 7 replies