Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lounge Music

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

This is for others into lounge music beyond the trinity of Baxter, Denny and Lyman.
I just picked up twenty nearly mint- condition albums by the Jackie Gleason Orchestra at a local thrift shop. They probably came from a donated collection, since they were all neatly grouped together. Paid $1 each. For those not familar, Gleason delivered very lush sounds; more emotive, I think, than other artists of that era. And, his album cover art featuring wistful and/or alluring dames dressed to the nines, is tremendous. Anyone know if there is a tribute site to the Great One's music?
Thanks.

I agree that there are many other artists out there who produced some pretty good sounds.

I still like those traditional Polynesian sounds, like those found in the Hawaii Calls series. And the Lawrence Welk "Sounds of the Islands" - very good record...I've mentioned that before.

But once you fish through Mitch Miller, Al Hurt, and all of those other people I have NO IDEA who they are, you are just too exhausted to take notice at anything that is NOT the TRIO.

I spent 3+ hours looking at thousands - no exaguration - THOUSANDS of records. I found NO Denny, NO Lyman...one Baxter (Not really exotica) and I think I only walked outta there with 5 records. (All Hawaiian stuff and the Baxter).

I guess when I think of lounge music for a tiki bar, I think of Kahiki and they always had that soothing steel guitar type stuff playing softly.

:sheckymug:

couple of decent Gleason tribute sites:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/1568/JackieGleason.html

http://members.home.nl/freddie/gleason1.html

http://members.home.nl/freddie/gleason1.html

On the subject of lounge music for a Tiki bar, one thing I NEVER thought of until TikiChris very kindly gave the the CD was Mantovani (sorry to out you here, Chris) -- but my GOD it works. The lush strings of "Perfidia" fit soooo well. But, then again, so do so many things -- your standard Vegas lounge will always work (esp. the glorious Wayne Newton), Elvis in his more moody moments, Esquivel, the absolute DADDY for this sort of thing (and I mean more your "Nature Boy" and Besame Mucho, rather than the comedy stuff) -- and what about Eartha Kitt? Her "Lilac Wine" in particular -- but a bunch of her stuff. I shouldn't even need to mention Don Tiki. Oh yeah, Felix Mendelssohn...

[ Edited by: theandrewssister on 2002-09-13 09:18 ]

S

There are really 3 styles of music that fit the true tiki bar theme: Exotica, Hawaiian and Polynesian.

In terms of Exotica, which is "South Seas Lounge" there really are only 3 guys who do that stuff. Some of their music became standards like "Yellow Bird" and others did their versions, but no one else is in the genre.

Hawaiian music is characterized by the steel guitar and a typically slow beat.

Polynesian music is more drum heavy and much faster tempo and more "tribal" sound.

But, there are lounge versions of Hawaiian music by the score. Which isn't exactly Exotica. Or is it? It gets tricky.

I've said it before, any lounge is fine in the tiki bar. That's the music of that time, so it fits to me. But, I also tend to think the real experience has to have one of the 3 genres above, or the pseudo-sub-genre of Hawaiian or Polynesian Lounge music.

Gleason is Mr. Romance. I am not a big fan because he isn't that interesting or dynamic, but his LP covers are tops. His music is like 101 Strings or Melanchrino Strings, bland, sappy. I like my lounge with a kick. But, of course, I have it all. I have just added Gleason to my broadcast this week. Here's a peak at the new front page of the Swank Pad I am working on, a la Gleason. The buttons are not finalized yet...

[plug] All the above is ready to be heard on my broadcast or on the Swank Vinyl Exotica CD. Click below for either. ; ) /plug]

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2002-09-13 10:01 ]

Many apologies if I inadvertently implied that Gleason was an acceptable muscial alternative in a tiki bar. For me, it should be exotica in a Polynesian pub, unless there are real live hula girls on stage (then it's Hawaiian, Tahitian, Maori and such).
Since the name of this forum is Beyond Tiki, I thought it would be cool to post on some other music I like, and read about some stuff other people are into.
I can see how it is easy to lump Gleason in with 101 Strings, Living Strings, etc., but I think the other guys should be viewed as ripping off his approach and debasing it, because Gleason did his first album around 1952 and stayed consistent for almost 20 years.
But regardless of who came first, I think there is a qualitative difference to his music; especially when it comes to setting a mood and keeping it.
His arrangements are always restrained and never over the top. He doesn't start out soft and then make you jump up and adjust the Hi-Fi. He never gets a mellow vibe going and then burts in with 76 trombones, the way Lyman and Denny do on some of their albums(which I find annoying).
Also, Gleason's stuff is different to me because it doesn't seem artificial. The other orchestra's from the 50's and 60's seem to have been recorded for the nuclear family on the cul-de-sac.
Gleason was recording for the bachelor pad. His music lingers in the air like smoke from an abandonded cigarette. It stings the eyes a little, but it makes the room a much more interesting place.
But then again, some people don't like smokers.
Aloha for now. I think it's time for a Martini.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-09-13 14:06 ]

S

I do agree there. Gleason is not 101 Strings. The later is like music with all the edges sanded off to a silky, nauseating smoothness. Gleason is made smooth, which is different. I don't want to just lump them together so heedlessly.

The song I just added to the broadcast is a good example. "My Ideal" is a very slow, gentle song, but the trumpet solo in there is as heartfelt and raw as anything.

Kiliki has been coming home and putting on Gleason records. I am giving him a good second listen and appreciating him more. And I am figuring out ways to rip off his album covers and pervert them for my plans!

When I listen to his music, I can't help but think about how he liked to booze it up then and the band's tours were such parties.

On the extreme other end of the spectrum is my favorite, not-so-well-known band director, Henri Rene. Any time you see his LPs for under $3, get 'em. He has some slow schmaltz, but his swingin' stuff is the best.

Has anyone heard 'Pagan Muzak' by Boyd Rice (Non)? He did an intro for "Taboo-The Art of Tiki" and seems quite a rum chap.

He says of the record,
"The name is both a description of the record's contents and a homage to Hawaii-based exotica pioneer Martin Denny, composer of environmental mood music that embraced such seemingly irreconcilable components as easy listening, unusual instruments, natural sounds and dissonance. Along with Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, Denny became a hero to the so called Lounge/Space Age Batchelor Pad movement of the early 90s. "I was influenced by Martin Denny," Boyd confirms. "He was doing this stuff that was like muzak but it had these heathen overtones. I liked the idea of paganism and I thought it was like pagan muzak, because it was music to change your environment, fill it up with noise, fill your brain with noise, and I thought that was really a pagan concept. It's weird, I was just asked to be in this New Zealand book about Tiki culture, and I wanted to write this whole thing about making a pilgrimage to see Martin Denny in 1980. I grew up among this. When I was a kid you could buy a Hawaiian shirt, which came with this tiki, which had gems for eyes and stuff, and my make-out spot in San Diego used to be this club called Bali Hai, which had a beach behind it, and the house band was Arthur Lyman, and I would be making out with girls, while Arthur Lyman was playing behind me. I grew up with this stuff, so it is a little weird to see all these people getting into this stuff years after they'd torn all these places down. But I am glad they are, because I always thought everybody in the world should know about Martin Denny and Les Baxter, and I am glad that they lived long enough to see this resurgence of interest in their music."

Trader Woody

I am a huge fan of Gleason. Have you ever seen the album cover Dali designed for him? Jackie Gleason commissioned it himself. He was a huge fan of Dali.

If you've never heard his arrangement of But Not For Me you're missing something in life. It will make you weep!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki
http://www.tikikiliki.com

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-10-09 12:54 ]

I know the Dali album art, but wasn't lucky enough to find that one. Since starting this post I have listened to all but one of the albums I purchased. I guess I'm saving the best album cover for last. It has a smokey blue cover with what appears to be two blonde girls kissing each other(Or maybe it's a blonde girl with long hair and eyelashes kissing a blonde guy with long hair and eyelashes?)
Anyway, one of the most interesting albums was one called The Torch with the Blue Flame. It features the vibraphone and sounds a little Lyman-esque. I recommend it.

Geoff,

I'd be glad to put the Dali album on cd for you and send it to you. Hopefully you have "Music to Remember Her" album with each song dedicated to some blonde, brunette, or red head with name like: Cherry, Sue, Tangerine, Charmaine. I'll put them both on a cd for ya!!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki
http://www.tikikiliki.com

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-10-09 20:52 ]

We have a few Gleason Albums - my favorite title is "Music to get her in the Mood" with a misty eyed maiden on the cover. Also have quite a few 101 Strings albums, but yes they are rather syrupy. Les Baxter is my favorite thing to find all round - whether or not it is a 'polynesian' theme album. And any Esquivel, master of exotica, is A#1 in my book.

But no one has mentioned the masterful Henry Mancini, or the Warm and Wonderful Bert Kaempfert. I also have all the crooners on my shelf of lounge music: sinatra, sammy, ella, jack jones, etc.

I am trying to track down early albums by film and tv composer, Frank Devol, but haven't had luck yet. I am on the $1 an album plan myself. Anybody have any Music by Devol?

Shameless self-promotion: On my site, Lotta Living, I have posted Madly Cocktail Disc Jockey, Kat Griffin's recommendations for 10 CD's to start off your record collection for your Modern lounge pad:

http://www.lottaliving.com/listening.shtml

T

In my searches, I have found very little of the holy trinity (Denny, Baxter, Lyman) but LOTs of the following albums. I don't know what people say when the say Elvis or the beatles sold the most records - it HAD to have been Herb ALpert!

TOP THRIFT STORE RECORD BIN INHABITANTS:

1. Herb ALpert & THe TIjuana Brass - Whipped Cream & Other Delights
  2. Sing ALong With Mitch
  3. The JAne Fonda Workout
  4. Mrs. Miller
  5. Dan Hill
S

The top ones I always see are, in no order:
West Side Story
Herb Alpert
Melachrino Strings
101 Strings
Various Broadway Musical compilations

Well, those are the older ones I always see.

I scored the Good, The Bad and The Ugly LP once for a dollar or two.

Mancini is great. What's not know about the Breakfast at Tiffany's LP is that he went back into the studio and rearranged all those tunes for the album. They are NOT the soundtrack songs. You won't find that word on the record. He wanted to make them more listenable, and did.

Oh yes, I forgot...

-South Pacific
-Brigadoon
-Corey Hart
-The Canadian Brass
-Bagpipe Music

I wholeheartedly agree with picks #1 & #2 for the top 10, but #3 fo4r me seems to be Ferrante & Teicher.
Of course never the one with cool spaceman cover....but I'm still lookin!
I did finally get a decent copy of Martin Denny's Exotica yesterday @ the thrift. It was 50 cents, but the gal gave it to me because she didnt want to break a $10 bill.
Joy!
BTW Jane: Corey Hart? EEEyeeew!!
But bagpipe music? My buddy Alex has played the pipes for years & even plays it in his vehicle when I drive anywhere with him!
Bugs the shit out of me!
I love the bagpipes 'live' & he usually plays at my parties, but listening to prerecorded bagpipe music really blows!

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-10 11:50 ]

T

One of the most listenable Jackie Gleason records is "Riff Jazz" (great cover too). The lush string ones, though they have great covers, are sometimes a bit too syrupy.

The best 101 strings records are from the late 60s and into the 70s. The erotic one (the name escapes me) is amazing - it has moaning women throughout!

For dinner music (and make-out music!) I like George Shearing's albums "Velvet Carpet","Black Velvet", Black Satin","White Satin", etc. They're now on CD but I haven't had much trouble finding the records at flea markets, thrift stores, and garage sales.

I think my favorite latest album score is a Nina Simone album from the early 70's with covers of "Here comes the sun","O-O-H Child" & "Mr Bojangles"
Chilling stuff!

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-10 11:56 ]

Herb Alpert is numero uno in Florida thrift bins as well, with Mitch Miller a close second & agreed the Mancini soundtrack for Peter Gunn is tremendous, but I haven't heard much else by him and need to do so. Thanks for the CD offer of the Dali album, but I'll not trouble you now since I hope to stumble across the lp. Gleason shows up fairly frequently down here (must be our proximity to Miami). The suggestion to check out George Shearing is great. I was just looking at his stuff in the local Borders book store two weeks ago. I remember hearing a wonderful album he did with Peggy Lee called The Beauty & the Beat. I'm still loking for that one. Some of Peggy Lee's solo stuff is good too. I just picked up an album of hers called "While a Cigarette was Burning". It's pretty gutsy for a white girl.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-10 13:56 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-10 13:57 ]

T

Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?" is one of the strangest, and best, songs she ever did. The whole album is great.

S

I just found "Ole Ala Lee" for $1 at an antique store. I have not heard one of these songs before and they are great. Some lyrics that are slightly racey. I added it to my broadcast immediately. And she's easy on the eyes too.

I still don't understand how she got Mexicans to calm down about Manana.

T

Yeah, Corey Hart... he blew chunks!
A lot of 80's stuff is hitting the thrift bins right now. And staying there, ahah!

I see an awful lot of Howard Jones too, come to think of it.

Inspired by this thread, I hit my local Sal's (Salvation Army) and Goodwill and bought a new bunch of records tonight. The big score was Van de Kamp's presents Les Baxter "Music of the Sixties" featuring a cover of Quiet Village of course! And I'm listening to my new Bert Kaempfert "Blue Midnight" album. Also picked up a couple of good Gleasons, The Latin Sound of Mancini, a 3 Hawaiiana discs, Sonny and Cher Live in Vegas! and more...

I am also into those kooky ones like "A Record of Quality brought to you by your Sanitone Drycleaner" This is a Columbia Records compilation... The cover just kills me - this guy standing in a grey flannel suit next to a chess board. What this has to do with Rosemary Clooney singing "Tenderly" I never guess?

Personally, even though some of these smoooooth albums "are/have been/will be" released on CD, nothing gives me that cool feeling when I find them on vinyl. Seeing those cover pictures really does it for me...oh, and then sliding out that record and finding that the vinyl is unscratched! I can live with "Martini Scratches" (you know, the unsteady hand that removed the needle after a couple of good Martinis).

SugarCaddyDaddy

yah, i'm with you on that sugarcaddydaddy. there is nothing in the world like analog sound. please we have those cool record album frames from Restoration Hardware and we rotate our display of records in them each season! This time of year it's fall colors and stuff like "Music to Study by"

S

Those "Adventures in Stereo" and the like can have some great extras like Ken Nordine giving examples of stereo and non-stereo. As long as they are cheap, I get them. You never know.

T

Oh, I do the 'theme' rotation in my restoration hardware frames too. Past themes have been:

-Vixens petting animals
-Women with martini glasses
-Percussive anything
-Women peeking from behind foliage
-Pastel colours
-Things with 'Polynesian' in the title

I love thinking up new perameters for the four frames. It helps to have a lot of crappy old records to choose from too.

I can live with "Martini Scratches" (you know, the unsteady hand that removed the needle after a couple of good Martinis).

Martini scratches: Thanks for the great phrasing, SugarCaddyDaddy. Just thinking about the term makes the albums sound better, and provides a cool rationale when someone obnoxiously asks why you want to listen to old records.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-11 07:17 ]

Hey, just saw a preview last night of a made for TV movie about Jackie Gleason to be shown on Sunday Oct. 13th! I think it was on CBS? Looked good actually.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-10-11 12:53 ]

T

I read Jackie Gleason's biography and it was fascinating. Did you know he never rehearsed the Jackie Gleason Show ("The Honeymooners")? He just knew what the general story was going to be and ad libbed his lines!

Swanky, I have one of those "Adventures In Stereo" albums. I have one of it's nutty intros on my answering machine.

And on another note, Enoch Light kicks ass!

T

http://www.deuceofclubs.com/whip_it.htm

Speaking of Herb ALpert, here's the Whipped Cream and Other Delights Art Car!

Unfortunately even though this website is muy extensive, I cant find a very good pic of the car itself...

A Correction: My post about Peggy Lee should have said the album title was "You Go to My Head". The first cut on the album is "While a Cigarette was Burning." Also, I scored a Hawaiian lp on silver seal records yesterday that had an sleeve from Capitol Records. The sleeve had pictures of Gleason and Shearing's early albums on it, and I couldn't help noticing how similar the art and photogaphy were on both. I'm going to try and catch the Gleason movie tonight, although I'm flying to Chicago this evening and may end up missing the first part of it.
The write-up in the paper didn't say anything about Gleason's music or the fact that he was obsessed with the paranormal. I hope they include those elements because I find the public/comic side of his personality the least interesting part of his life.

S

The Gleason TV movie was a disappointment. It was very heavy handed. It just tried to roll the whole thing into a "my old man was a louse and that's why I am who I am" psycho-pop crap. They played about 4 bars of his theme and one of his songs at the very, very end of the show. All in all it made him look pretty miserable. Only a mention of the music.

Yeah Swanky, I agree. I'm not sure it is possible for people today to get their heads around someone like Gleason. He's pretty incorrect. Can you imagine a Lifetime movie glorifying the bachelor lifestyle of the 50's and 60's. Nope..., me either.

I did the vinyl hunt at the weekend, and it looks like the entire vinyl output of the 80's has de-camped to the charity shops of the UK in the past month or so. You can't move for A-Ha, Spandau Ballet & Thompson Twins LP's.

Still, I managed to pick out some interesting chunks of vinyl.
Two albums by Kana Kapiolani & his Hawaiians
I'm never too sure if some of these 'Hawaiian' bands belong to that surprisingly popular, (in the early 70's at least) genres....the British fake Hawaiian band.

Another album is 'International Cocktail', with an inspired cover - bottles of gin, whiskey, vodka and martini! The music sounds like it was created by a bunch of drunks just getting into their 4th straight double.

'Island Magic' by the Kon-Tikis

And best of all, Val Merrall's Big Sound at Butlins. One I'd seen at ridiculous cost, but this time at 75 cents. It's the cover that's of interest, as it has two small photos of the Butlins Beachcomber on it. One reveals a large moai, while the other has definitive proof that Butlins ripped off Mr Bali Hai, as there's a huge (15 ft?) statue of Mr Bali Hai minus his nose-bones on it.

I must admit to being slightly thankful that the centre hole was to small to allow me to actually listen to the album!

Trader Woody

M

"I must admit to being slightly thankful that the centre hole was to
small to allow me to actually listen to the album!

Trader Woody"
It is easy to enlarge the center hole of a record. How I do it is I take an Exacto knife with a triangle shaped blade and scratch the plastic outa little around the hole and then flip over the record and do the other side. Usually just a little will do it.
(An Exacto knife is a sharp knife often used for crafts or for cutting photo/art mat boards in case Exacto knives aren't sold overseas)

MrSmiley,

Thanks for the tip. It's surprising how little vinyl you actually have to gouge out of the centre hole to get it to fit properly. (I think I gouged a little too much....Ernies LP now has a bit of a wobble to it.)

Trader Woody

M

"MrSmiley,

Thanks for the tip. It's surprising how little vinyl you actually have
to gouge out of the centre hole to get it to fit properly. (I think I
gouged a little too much....Ernies LP now has a bit of a wobble to it.)

Trader Woody"

---Are you sure it is not just Ernie's singing??

I'm on a new quest in lp collecting. I'm looking for 50's/ early 60's albums with cover art of dames listening to their Hi-Fi's. I've found three that I'll try to post photos of this week.
One is called "Miss You" recorded on some cheapo label. Unfortunately, the wrong album was inside. Fortunately, the cover features this buxom babe listening to a jumbo-size tube set. It's irresistible.
Another is a Montovani album of Waltz tunes. This one has a damsel in a white negligee lounging next to Mr. RCA Victor.
The last one's cover doesn't feature a well-built sound cabinet, but it does show a funky little phonograph, some mod furniture and a girl reaching for a Sinatra record held just out of reach by her boyfriend. The title is something like "America's 12 Biggest Hits".
Any of you exoticats know about others I should be on the lookout for? I want to find three more to hang on the wall near my '62 Grundig stereo.
Also, anyone know of a place to get cheapo frames to display these in? I've seen some frames on the Internet for $15 - $30 each. Heck, I don't want to spend 1000 times more on the frames than I did on the records.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-04 13:08 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-05 16:44 ]

You should definitely try Urban Outfitters for frames - they have really nice metal ones for $15.

And, if you ever make it to Portland again - there was a big record store on Hawthorne that has a whole bin full of 'model/cheesecake' covers!

Frenchy,
I remember you had some framed album covers when you invited me up to your swingin' bachelorette pad* in Portland, but couldn't remember where you said you got 'em from. I don't know if we have an Urban Outfitters in the middle of the Magic Kingdom, but will check up on it.
How's life in the Tonga Room?

(*Note to Mig: Wahine Marian was there too. :))

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2003 4:09 PM

Around here Joanne's regularly has the LP frames. I think that is where Kiliki got the ones in our bedroom. In there it's all LPs with sleeping themes.

Hey KG (and WM)

Life is good! I'm working on the all-new swanky bachelorette pad (just got some new Keanes last weekend at a flea market). I sure hope you guys come west again!

Oh - and just to verify that I'm still on topic: my 2 favorite exotica albums -

Que Mango, Les Baxter
and
Tambo! by Tito Puente

Both out of print, but worth the effort to track down.

Thanks for the tips guys. I found some $15 album frames at Michael's Arts & Crafts last night. Here are a couple of albums I found on the net that fit my criteria.

Frenchy: Glad your enjoying your new locale. We'll definitley be out your way at some point. I'll get a business trip to the west coast sooner or later.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-05 08:06 ]

Here's one of the albums I found.

I dig the paper lantern.

I don't even know who that babe is and I miss her already!

Just thought I'd throw my fez hat into the ring here though I have nothing new to add, really. We're all pretty much on the same wavelength. I LOVE Gleason (and "The Honeymooners" is still one of my all time favorite shows), and I think Lounge music from that era goes smoothly with any exotic cocktail in any tiki bar. Most neo-"tiki" restaurants play Whitney Houston and Boyz 2 Men and Kenny G crap, anyway, so if they throw on some vintage Mel Torme or even Tom Jones instead, though they aren't strictly tiki, I won't bitch. The Conga Lounge in Oakland plays a nice, healthy mix of exotica, surf, pop, lounge and even some rock 'n' roll for your R&R, and along with the tiki-themed film clips on the TV behind the bar, a soothingly nostalgic mood prevails and pervades. Trader Vic's in Emeryville has switched from its "Top 40" adult contempo format to playing more traditional Hawaiian music (I suspect because Otto kicked some ass), which is a welcome improvement. The Tonga Room in SF is of course notorious among hardcore tiki buffs for its charmless, cheesey 80s house band ruining the atmosphere (how hard would it be to get a guy with a ukelele and coupla hula dancers instead - you'd think, along with the faux rain storms, this would seem to be a no-brainer, geez!!).

Anyway, I also prefer collecting lounge on LP (I have hundreds) though I also have hundreds of lounge CD reissues as well. I've always preferred Lounge to Swing since I can't dance, and Lounge is drinking music. (amongst other things....)

Speaking of which, anyone out there ever hear of Bob Thompson? He was a contemporary of Esquivel's whom I interviewed for Atomic and Outre a while back. Anyway, Dionysus is FINALLY reissuing his landmark 1960 LP "The Sounds of Speed" on CD. Tracks from this have appeared on anthologies only, like Rhino's "Bachelor's Guide to the Galaxy" but this is the first Thompson LP to be fully reissued (others, like "Mmmm Nice," have come out in Japan only). Watch for it in the Fall.

Whether a tiki bar plays Yma Sumac of Julie London (my favorite female vocalist), either is fine with me. Lounge and Tiki are spiritually connected. It's when you throw Britney Spears or the soundtrack to "Titanic" in with the mix that everything goes to hell.

Thanks for the cool info. AquaZombie.
I'm on a major record hunting binge just now and spent about 2 hours going through about 1,000 albums acramed into a bunch of dingy shelves in a nasty thrift store. Of course that's why they only cost 50 cents each, so I'm not complaining. I haven't haunted that stack for awhile, so I came up with intersting stuff.
Today I found one of those 78 record booklets by Harry Owens and the Royal Hawaiian Band. Four of the five discs were inside and appear to be in reasonable shape.
I also came up with a fairly decent copy of Esquivel's "Strings Aflame".

I keep hearing how great this guy is, but I've only heard a snatch or two of his stuff off lounge CD's, so I'm looking forward to hearing this one.
Also, got a Les Baxter album I had not seen or heard before called "Jewels of the Sea"

This has some great titles on it:
Sunken City
Stars in the Sand
Sea Nymph
Singing Sea Shells
Dolphin
Dawn Under the Sea
The Enchanted Sea
The Girl from Nassau
The Ancient Galleon
Coral Castle
Dancing Diamonds
Jewels of the Sea
I also picked up a couple of odd Hawaiian music albums, as well as Martin Denny's Hawaii Goes a Go-Go. My Dad still plays this record and won't let me have it, so I was glad to find a copy.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-06 12:56 ]

T

On 2002-10-09 21:26, Futura Girl wrote:
Anybody have any Music by Devol?

Nothing by Devol, but plenty by Devo - including their ultra-rare self-produced Muzak disc, featuring them doing mukak versions of their own tunes... some with an Exotica feel!

Pages: 1 2 63 replies