Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki / Is there such a thing as a tiki novel?

Post #104899 by tikibars on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 10:38 AM

You are viewing a single post. Click here to view the post in context.

Not strictly ABOUT Tikis, but...

Alan Dean Foster wrote a really bad historical novel called Maori, about the settlement of New Zealand and the conflicts of the pakeha vs. the Maoris.

Also, of course, there is the work of James Michener, who did a few novels that took place in the islands. Michener was a motivating factor in propigating the original Polynesian pop fad fifty years ago.

Going back to the 19th century, Herman Melville's Typee is astounding, still a good read, and definitely mentions Tikis in several places.

Between Melville and Michener, there were a wealth of "South Seas Adventure" novels, a few of which I own but haven't had time to read yet, which are basically fictionalized accounts of people's travel's to various islands and their encounters with the locals.

...and if anyone is interested, I had an idea (and wrote an outline and scripts for) a graphic novel that has some Tiki content, but I shelved it because:

a. I couldn't find an illustrator to collaborate with.

b. Hawaiian Dick came out and I didn't want the market to be flooded with potentially similar projects (I haven't read Dick, specifically so as not to be influenced by it).

...but I may revive the project if there are any artists out there who want to draw my scripts!