Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

UPDATE - PolyPop in Seattle, WA from 6/14/05 - 6/16/05

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

Aloha Mucky Mucks! I'll be back in your great city for a short 3 day/2 night jaunt.

Anyone up for a Mai Tai???? Give me a shout!
My email is [email protected] (remove the NOSPAM) or call my celfone at nine-four-nine, four-one-three, eighty-nine hundred. I will be working during the day but free after about 5pm. And like last time, I'll probably need some kind soul to come get me in downtown area.

Looking forward to seeing you all again - especially the toothless jamaican guy with the urine soaked dog!

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2005-05-24 08:38 ]

WHEN? When ? WHEN?
Pea

D

hey there! count me in..
i live very close to downtown seattle, i'd love to get together for a drink or dinner..
i'll message you my info!

elicia

Ok -- I come in on Wednesday, July 28th at approximately 6pm. I am staying at the Coast Gateway Hotel, 18415 Pacific Highway South, Downtown Area.

Soooo..... I guess dinner at around 7:30-ish? I've been to Ohana before however, I've never been to any of the others (Islander, Luau, etc) so I'd like to see one of those if possible and try to squeeze in as much as possible while in town since I'll only have two nights.

Dogbytes, I got your PM -- thanks for sending your info. I'll be contacting you for sure!

S

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :(
Guess what morning I leave for Vegas,
hahahah, the 28th. Yup.
FRICKEN, dagnabit, gosh dern...
I'm gonna miss ya.
I come home on Saturday night just in time to go straight to the Tractor to see Deke Dickerson... fooey.
I'll be there in spirt though...
Pea

H

PolyPop -- you're not staying downtown, you're way the hell out by the airport! It's not actually in Seattle, it's in a city called Seatac that's between Seattle and Tacoma. You'll be about 20-45 minutes away from downtown Seattle by car, depending on traffic. I forget what the flat rate is for a cab from the airport to downtown, I think it's $35, which is a great deal considering the distance. Try to get a hotel downtown, though!

D

i made the airport motel adventure too... you're out in the sticks, PolyPop..

i'll come n get you if you cant change hotels...

elicia

S

haha, don't fergit, we are spoiled in Seattle, I think that if yer from the LA area, that is close to town.
I hear it's a 45 minute drive from anywhere in LA... heehee
Hope you have a super time here, and hope a bunch of the Seattle folks come out with ya!
Pea

W

I'm game for Thursday or Friday night, if you're here for Friday night. As long a it isn't in Seatac.

I suggest the Islander, more of an actual destination than the Lava Lounge, but both are within stumblin' distance of each other. If you want a good cocktail I suggest West 5 in West Seattle (not Tiki, just swell retro with a handful of Tiki drinks on the bar menu).

Notice how Sweetpea is always "outta town" whenever anything happens in the North West? Don't bad home perms usually grow out in a few weeks? Oh, uh...Ms 'Pea...Was that not supposed to be public knowledge?

Hey, I'm up for a Mai Tai with tikifolk! I recommend the Luau, then the Islander. (And this would be the case even if the former were not within a couple miles of my house and the latter a couple blocks from my office.)

BTW, in addition to the tiki-ish Seattle places, tikitourists might consider checking out the Crocodile Cafe while in town. The Croc has become something of a Seattle institution -- it is owned by the wife of REM guitarist Peter Buck -- and although it is not tiki, it features some swampy, grassy decor including some grass lamps to die for. If it's not possible to catch the true flavor during a show in the evening, you might drop by at lunch and stick your nose around the stage area and also the bar in back to check out the ramshackle loungie decor.

And if you're doing that, drop by Roq la Rue just a block or so down. This is the gallery that brought Shag to town and always has some great stuff (owned by Kirsten who was on the NW Tiki Crawl). And you might as well hit the Lava Lounge in the same trip, since it's just a few doors away.

If you like hanging with poor rock musicians and drinking cheap beer, the Cha Cha up on Capitol Hill is the place to go. It's not tiki either, but it does have a grass hut, cheesy polynesian pictures, and Mexican wrestler decor.

Here's a review of where to go to drink under a grass hut from one of our local weeklies.

Let me know when, what and where nad i'll try to make it. If anyone is interested we could have a barbecue in my backyard (I live in West Seattle.) I'm starting to tikify my house and I just got reinforcements of trader vic's rum and coconut snow.

On 2004-07-20 16:48, Humuhumu wrote:
PolyPop -- you're not staying downtown, you're way the hell out by the airport! It's not actually in Seattle, it's in a city called Seatac that's between Seattle and Tacoma. You'll be about 20-45 minutes away from downtown Seattle by car, depending on traffic.

20-45 minutes?! That's it???? BuwahhhaHa! Humu, you must have forgetten where I live in So Cal. :) That's nothing compared to what I drive to work everyday (or to our regular Hoity Toity TC happenings on a weekly basis)... In other words, a 20-45 minute drive isn't that big a deal for me.

For this trip unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick the hotel... since I'm travelling for business, my exec admin booked it for me (they're really starting to buckle down on budgets now).

Woofmutt, I'm actually flying out Friday afternoon... so, I'm guessing Thursday night is better for everyone? I'm not familiar with where everything is so maybe someone can post a pseudo itinerary like Islander for dinner then Luau for drinks??? Are they far apart? I'm also game for that bbq that Tiki-Riviera has offered... doesn't matter to me! I'm up for anything.

And damnit Pea -- you're leaving town again?!

On 2004-07-20 16:48, Humuhumu wrote:
PolyPop -- you're not staying downtown, you're way the hell out by the airport! It's not actually in Seattle, it's in a city called Seatac that's between Seattle and Tacoma. You'll be about 20-45 minutes away from downtown Seattle by car, depending on traffic. I forget what the flat rate is for a cab from the airport to downtown, I think it's $35, which is a great deal considering the distance. Try to get a hotel downtown, though!

Don't worry about the traffic, you're less than 20 minutes away from downtown by Monorail!

Ah, the Seattle Monorail, also known to locals as the Train to Nowhere. The Monorail is fun, and is worth being pround of (it was a rather progressive thing when it was created for the 1962 World's Fair), but it only has two stops. Downtown, and the Seattle Center, which is a few blocks north of Downtown. Anyway, it's going to be closed during Pop's trip, they just had a fire and the evacuation was sort of a higgeldy-piggeldy, so they have it shut down until everyone forgets about it or they come up with a better procedure, whichever comes first.

Yes, Pop, you're right, I slipped into Seattle mode there. It's certainly not the end of the world that you're going to be in Seatac instead of Seattle, but it is a shame that you won't be able to experience Seattle as immersively, the area by the airport there is quite sucky. Those hotels by the airport aren't cheap either, because of the convenience, the admin would have been able to find something comparable in downtown. Oh well, next time! Hope you have fun, and I've got some haw flakes for you when I see you next!

Veering even more dangerously off topic: If Poly Pop can delay his trip just a little, he can ride around on the Seattle Monorail Project's New Monorail! Opening Dec. 2009!

S

Hey, we're in. Like monkey we vote for the Luau over Islander...hey, West Seattle Tikis--are you up for this event??? Let us know where to be and when...

On 2004-07-21 08:33, freddiefreelance wrote:

Don't worry about the traffic, you're less than 20 minutes away from downtown by Monorail!

Too bad the Monorail is closed right now! I wanted to ride the Monorail the last time I was in Seattle about 3 years ago. Looks like I'll have to wait for a return trip to do that.

Clearly someone should lay out a plan, so I'm using my special Buck-Passing-Powers to make dogbytes the official Jet City Mucky Mucks Tiki Hostess. Congratulations, dogbytes, the Jet City Mucky Mucks have no other appointed positions or even members so you have really arrived.

We await your plan.

D

i blinked, and next thing i know im the "Jet City Mucky Muck" Hostess? ok, just dont call me cupcake..and i'll form a tentative plan:

Weds: 7:30 Meet at Luau for drinks and dinner. if you'd like, coffee & dessert at my house.

Thurs: Meet at The Islander for drinks, stumble to the Lava Lounge, dinner at Rondezous (woofmutt's suggestion) or Crocodile Cafe (monkeyskull's suggestion)or someplace in the Belltown area (Mama's Mexican is good too).

so that's the quazi plan.. feel free to jump in, add other Tiki Destinations (like your home bar...)

everyone's welcome to meet at my house before or afterwards.. message me for directions!

elicia
the hostess de jour.

H

Pssst... consider dinner at Palace Kitchen in Belltown over Rendezvous or Crocodile Cafe.

It's been mentioned somewhere in these 100,000+ posts before, but those cool light fixtures in the Croc came from the Seattle Trader Vic's when it closed. Our own Selector Lopaka helped move & install them way back when. One of the original owners of the Croc is a friend of my Mom's (I think he maybe is the one that sold his share to Stephanie Buck), and he's now involved in Thaiku/Fu Kun Wu (he's largely responsible the bitchin' decor)-- that's where Selector Lopaka spins on Tuesday nights. If you want to see some carved tiki posts from the Seattle Trader Vic's, they're in a small junk/thrift shop in Kirkland called Mambo (not for sale, though).

Speaking of Lopaka--cupcake, er, dogbytes, you may want to throw an email to Lopaka & puamana to give them a heads up (and/or send a message out to the NW party mail list).

p.s.-- as long as you're in Belltown, at least let Pop pop his head into 'Ohana.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-07-23 15:07 ]

D

humuhumu: mambo was recommended to me by a antique dealer out in matlby..tried to find it back in nov, and it had disappeared. no phone, and the storefront was empty :(

will post to the pnw list..later tonight. going to meet woofmutt for drinks at islander at 5.

dang its hot.. 94 degrees. the locals are melted. and grumpy.

W

"Pssst... consider dinner at Palace Kitchen in Belltown over Rendezvous or Crocodile Cafe." Humuhumu

Pssst: The Rendezvous makes great burgers and fries and dinner will only set yah back 'round 9 bucks. And the Pabst on tap is cheap, too. Just like me.

S

Whoa...I posted no post!:)
Sorry, the heat is melting my brain...

[ Edited by: Sea-Tiki on 2004-07-23 17:45 ]

Any restaurant that has PBR on draft is ok
by me!

Alright! Itinerary in place. I'm really looking forward to my trip now!!!

Thanks cupcake! :) (...sorry, I couldn't resist).

On 2004-07-23 14:56, dogbytes wrote:

everyone's welcome to meet at my house before or afterwards.

Elicia,
This might work best for me since I'm not familiar with the area. I can swing by on Wednesday night around 7-ish? For Thursday I will be available after 5pm coming from our office located at 110 Union Street, Seattle. Is that close to you or Islander? If so, it might be easier to go straight from the office instead of going back to my hotel first.

Can you email me directions?

[i]I can swing by on Wednesday night around 7-ish?
For Thursday I will be available after 5pm coming from our office located at 110 Union Street, Seattle.

Weds ~ come by my house, i'll email you directions. its on the way to Luau

Thursday: STAY at your worksite! the Islander on the same block 96 Union ~ if you're done with business at 5 i'll come meet you ... we can start early at Islander or you can tour Pikes Place (just 2 blocks away!)..

email to follow..

bump:
meeting PolyPop at my house on Weds at 7, then we're on our way to Luau for drinks/dinner.

Thurs: PolyPop gets off work at 5, and is right next door to Islander ~ i'll meet him there, and will do some sightseeing then back to islander for drinks in the bar around 6:00

call me 206-321-4096(cell) if you get lost or if i do!

Hey Polypop;

not sure if you will have time, but i'm trying to put togther my tropical room in my house and could use some suggestionsfrom a pro. If you think you'll have any free time let me know and I can pick you up. My phone number is 206-935-5793. Thanks

Thanks Elicia, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

Tiki-Riviera -- thanks for the kind words. I'd love to come by and say hello. Will you be meeting us tonight? If so, maybe we can work something out after dinner?

I don't think I can make it tonight, but should be there on thurs.

Update! ~ Thursday ~ Meet at The Islander at 6 pm.

PolyPop

Monkeyskull and Selector Lopaka

I am so STOKED that I got those CD's! Thanks Monkeyskull, Selector Lopaka, Dogbytes and Mr. Dogbytes for coming out to make me feel like a Northwest Hoity Toity. I'm looking forward to The Islander tonight ---- 8:32 am and I already can't wait to get out of the office...

D

Updated update:
PolyPop is stuck with a techno-mess ~ and will meet at 6:30 at Islander... cya there!

Wonderin' why I hadn't heard from him yet. I have previous commitments tonight, so I am unable to attend. Good seein' TC ohana last night. Safe trip home, Poly Pop, and we'll see you in SoCal one of these days.

I'll be there 5 minutes after I can get out of the office (around 6:30 I hope).

Thanks again for the tunes, Selector. I listened to the Lounge collection on the drive home and loved it.

Wow, what a night! Ploypop, thank you so much for keeping a cool head and quickly finding the restaurants fire extinguisher. My shorts are ruined, but I escaped serious injury thanks to you! Hope to see you in California in September. Hopefully the Seattle group can get toghether again soon!

Rivera, it was good to meet and it's especially good to see you apparently found bail already. I feel terrible about not getting you out, but if I didn't get those penguins out of the bar and back in the pen I think Woofmutt may have lost his job at Woodland Park Zoo. Please tell Ms. Tiki-Rivera that I'm sorry about the whip cream mistake -- I'm not used to drinking that many Nutty Monkeys.

P.S. I have your coconut shell bikini top.

W

You guys are such gentlemen for not naming names, but I just want you to know that I've sen dogbytes do that flaming cherry juggling trick before and it's very cool and she rarely sets anything on fire. Besides, what kinda morons would put a thatch roof in a Tiki bar without fireproofing it? Duh.

And one last time, monkeyskull (since all small animals probably look alike to someone lying on the floor): They weren't "pointy penguins", they were hedgehogs.

Man -- that was a cool (albeit unusual) night. Thanks to all the Seattle-ites who came out to see me and make me feel at home. Tiki-Riviera, I'm glad you made it out ok. Between you, that damn fire that Dogbytes started and the toothless Jamaican guy playing his damn bongos at the next table, I'd have to say we had our hands full (and what was the deal with his blind, scraggly dog?? Damn, it smelled like urine). But hey, we made it out alive right?

Although I don't fly home until this afternoon, I already can't wait for my next trip back into Seattle. Next time, we'll blow up a BIGGER fish. Monkeyskulls left over July 4th fireworks stuffed into that Salmon was classic! (Although I still think attaching it to that sky rocket would have been more dramatic). But I digress...

Oh and by the way -- if any of you ever it make it down to So Cal, please let me know. It's my turn to play host!

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-07-30 10:17 ]

too bad the only pictures of our Islander Evening were the polaroids kept by the security staff and the fire marshall. hopefully we can effectively change our appearance and meet up again after they rebuild the bar.

pyromaniaclly yours
elicia

Woofmutt, I never got your address. Please PM to me or email to polynesianpopatyahoodotcom so I can send you "the goods."

After I got home and removed my burnt shorts, I discovered a burn in a most sensitive area. I guess all that alcohol masked the pain. Let's just say Mrs. Riviera
is going to be unhappy for probably a whole month. Pass the aloe vera please (delicately!)

These stories sound a little fishy to me.
I don't see ANY pics to prove all this.

On 2004-07-30 13:09, tiki-riviera wrote:

After I got home and removed my burnt shorts, I discovered a burn in a most sensitive area. I guess all that alcohol masked the pain. Let's just say Mrs. Riviera
is going to be unhappy for probably a whole month. Pass the aloe vera please (delicately!)

Ouch, sorry to hear about the burn, Rivera. I would admonish you that you never should have had your shorts on your head in the first place, but I assume that is all too painfully clear by now.

Woofmutt, thanks for the clarification on the "penguins" (last time I believe Dogbytes). BTW, were those fezzes glued on?

i'm glad PolyPop posted a reply..i wasnt sure about letting him go alone with Woofmutt ~ especially after seeing the empty 55 gallon drum strapped to the luggage rack.

so PP, you're alive...good. hm, unless Woofmutt tortured you and got your TikiCentral password and he's just lulling us into a sense of false security...

oh well, we'll never know for sure till you return to visit with the Jet City Mucky Mucks!

elicia

On 2004-07-31 00:49, dogbytes wrote:
i'm glad PolyPop posted a reply..i wasnt sure about letting him go alone with Woofmutt ~ especially after seeing the empty 55 gallon drum strapped to the luggage rack.

Woofmutt took me to the Lava Lounge after Islander. They were playing Snoop Doggy Dogg full blast in there! The bar was cool (who carved the tikis?) and I was able to grab a couple of matchbooks. We got a lot of odd looks from people on the street because of that 55 gallon drum! When we passed through Pioneer Square someone actually shot the drum with a couple of paintballs! I don't know what Woofmutt was thinking -- there's no way he would have been able to haul that thing onto the roof of house alone. That thing was HEAVY.

BTW -- I checked my camera and realized that I DID get a pic of the toothless Jamaican guy --

His scraggly urine soaked dog was trying dry hump some lady trying to take pictures. It was a riot. Monkeyskull was standing right behind her and everytime she tried to turn away from the dog he would blow a whistle in her ear and she'd jump!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2004-07-31 09:52 ]

Pages: 1 2 71 replies