Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

What's the name of your home tiki bar or tiki space?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 269 replies

8T

Aloha everyone.
I got to thinking about the various clever and exotic names that my fellow TC members had bestowed upon their private little paradises. In several posts we have had beautiful photos of many a home bar or backyard oasis. (Any of which I would love to visit if we ever get to travel again!)

So I thought, why not ask folks to check in with the name of their tiki space. Here's a few that I remember, who else has one to add to the list?

Basement Kahuna--Kon Tiki Paradise Room
Primo Kimo--Kahiki Moon Room
Martiki--The Foggy Grotto
Humuhumu--The Humuhumu Room (Is it in Seattle still or LA ??)
Sabina--The Lounge of the Seven Pleasures
Tiki Royale--The Aloha Room
Puamana & Selector Lopaka--Backyard Bali Hai

We have been calling ours By a name created by our 6 year old daughter.
She named it:TROPIDISE (A SORT OF CONJUNCTION OF TROPICAL PARADISE)

Save the Tikis!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-01-23 10:59 ]

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-01-23 11:00 ]

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2008-03-18 19:21 ]

The Fabulous Lagoon Room.

Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely 2008-03-18 17:17 ]

8T

Oh yeah, and Tikifish, what is the official name of the hallway you just completed?

B

The Leloi Lounge, since our cat Leroy uses it more than anyone else.

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2004-05-11 11:17 ]

M

Just finished my home tiki bar. My proposed name is "Kupa Kai Lounge" after the Kupa Kai headhunters on Gillian's Island. But my wife hates Gilligan so I hope she will let me call it that.

8ftr,
i was thinking the same question. thank you for posting this. there are two sections to mine: the Jungle Lounge, a working title, which is an amalgom of exotic treasures, from tiki to vintage cocktail to vintage scifi and burlesque. a few customized peices of furniture that i have made or at least added to. will post pics soon. it is defintely a work in progress. The bar is still yet unnamed. working title is the iguana isle, though that name is not really doin it for me. the reason being(if you did not read my post in beyond tiki) that our iguana lester's terrarium, which is 6ft tall by 4ft wide by 2 feet deep, makes up one of the walls of the bar itself. while you are sipping a blue hawaiian, you can turn around on your stool and check lester out. it has kind of a calming effect. anyways, the name is still to be found, i am definitely up for suggestions. the bar area is far far from complete, and construction has probably suffered due to lack of funds as of late and the question of investing in decorating an apartment versus saving to buy a house. my last trip to oceanic arts gave me ideas and i ended up buying a large fishnet, some bamboo and some sea life.
look forward to seeing and hearing about more home bars.
alandshel, that is a beauty

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-23 11:51 ]

unga- missed a chance to bid on that, see what happens when i dont check in to ebay for one miilisecond. what are the chances that you will have another one of those up for auction?

I

On 2004-01-23 11:31, mriddle wrote:
My proposed name is "Kupa Kai Lounge" after the Kupa Kai headhunters on Gillian's Island. But my wife hates Gilligan so I hope she will let me call it that.

What about Kobra Kai? Kobra Kai Mai Tai shows no Mercy, sensei!

The computer desk / lan party hub / bar I'm building out in the basement is tentatively called the "Kuapa Kai Fun Factory," after the place where I spent too many quarters on Space Invaders and Galaxian.

Kona Cove is what I newly named my evolving tiki room... though I have been spending too much time carving tikis and not enough working on the room...

E

On 2004-01-23 12:00, Iolani wrote:
The computer desk / lan party hub / bar I'm building out in the basement is tentatively called the "Kuapa Kai Fun Factory," after the place where I spent too many quarters on Space Invaders and Galaxian.

Hey Iolani, what game(s) you going to play at your LAN parties? Inquiring minds want to know...

em.

I

Day of Defeat and Neverwinter Nights. That's all the network action I enjoy.

Our basement is known as the Bamboolodge, because we have done it up in a combo of Northwoods and Polynesian decor. The west end of the basement is where the bar is located so that's where most of the tikis and Hawaiiana stuff is, but as time goes on it's starting to spill into the Northwoods area. We are planning on taking some digitals and posting them soon.
TTFN,
Dave & Coalbe

I lounge in the Spectacular East Indies Room

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-01-23 12:40 ]

Aku Hall of course, meeting place of sacred spirits!

This might be a good time to mention that I have extensively gutted and redecorated the Hall over the past 5 weeks, and I am going to have a grand re-opening party in February... watch Tiki Events for details when I decide on a date.

S

In progress, here is the liquor corner in the "Hapa Haole Hideaway"

Traderpup's Spectacular East Indies Room

Dreamy...but I can't tell you how curious I am to see what you did with "the door"?

What about Kobra Kai? Kobra Kai Mai Tai shows no Mercy, sensei!

Nice. I always love a good "Karate Kid" reference.
:tiki:

K

Main area: Shipwreck Cove.

The pool is called The Pool of Love (after the Baxter song, or Denny(?)).

The pond is called The Pond of Mystery.

The Beach area: Mermaid Beach.

Ahhh forget one very important feature:

The Sundstrom/Monkey Jungle Rock of Supremity. Very thoughtfully "donated" to the Pond of Mystery on December 13, 2003.

[ Edited by: Kentiki on 2004-01-23 13:55 ]

I

Swanky: I see you have a computer room / tiki bar thing going, too. Very swank, indeed! I'm digging your green box and your room's name.

Our basement is known as the Bamboolodge, because we have done it up in a combo of Northwoods and Polynesian decor. The west end of the basement is where the bar is located so that's where most of the tikis and Hawaiiana stuff is, but as time goes on it's starting to spill into the Northwoods area. We are planning on taking some digitals and posting them soon.
TTFN,
Dave & Coalbe

The Honolulu Lounge -- but mostly we just call it "the tiki room".

The only thing about having a space this big is it really peeves me when we get out the good silver and our guests don't show up...
Also, it's a bitch to vacum this mutha.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-23 14:06 ]

K

"The Mango Pit" - basement makeover in progress.

S

Iolani: Yeah I debated about putting the computer in another room, but this is the room I want to get more use out of. Rather than stuff it in some corner and be miserable at the computer, I decided to incorporate it into the tiki bar. I am surrounding it with plants so that it is pretty covered.

On 2004-01-23 12:53, DawnTiki wrote:
Dreamy...but I can't tell you how curious I am to see what you did with "the door"?

Right now the door is covered with a sheet of mahogany veneer... I've been holding out for something good to do with it.... don't know yet, but you can't rush these things!

old photos of the jungle lounge, forget we had taken these a while back for a linguistics project for k cultural linguistics masters class. far from complete, want to add plants, masks,tiki poles and a lot of hanging vines.
will update on the the tiki bar in the future, have no photos of it yet
p.s. upon some thought, i think i will name the lounge The Kitsch Jungle

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-23 17:48 ]

R

I forget exactly, It's something like the Lanai Library. It's in the works, I could be misspelling it, it's a hawaiin word that seemed to fit our new library room.

I let the wife pick the name, I was too busy building bookshelves.

Oh well

On 2004-01-23 13:26, Kailuageoff wrote:
The Honolulu Lounge -- but mostly we just call it "the tiki room".

The only thing about having a space this big is it really peeves me when we get out the good silver and our guests don't show up...
Also, it's a bitch to vacum this mutha.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-23 14:06 ]

Nice Geoff...I'd say you damn near nailed Trader Frank's!

We just named it, even though it's not built yet(is this sacreligious?)

The Huki Lounge!

How cheesy can you get?! :P

Our bar is still just the Tiki Room. I was thinking "The Spider Hole" but Kitty wisely vetoed that one. We must officially name it in time for the NW Tiki Crawl in June.

Typhoon Terry's Tiki Bar...bet you thought I wuz gonna say Shipwreck Joey's didnja. Sorry to say that name was taken already. I'll post some pics if I can ever get the hang of this gawldanged newfangled digital camera!

I have taken to making reference to mine, which is still unconstructed, as the Kapu Luakini Lounge. I like the idea of people coming over to offer themselves. I like the idea of people being unable to walk away. The "Secret" or "Forbidden" aspect is attractive to me as well.

TB

The name of our tiki space is: "The Tihiki Room" adjacent to "Augies Enchanted Chambers"

The Tihiki Room is an outdoor tiki deck in a tropical garden, Augie's (in honor of Augie's Enchanted Mirror- 50's local TV show) is the name of our MiMo styled house.

T

Tonga Isle and pictures are forthcoming once I figure out how to get the drivers loaded for the new digital camera. (I would make a disparaging remark toward Mr. Gates and Windows but don't know who is monitoring my activity).

My kitchrn is an amalgamation of bright 50's mint dinette,appliances, rocket shaped daisy ice crushers, bauer ware, fiestaware, vintage cocktail stuff from the 20's - 60's and 50's kitsch with tiki mugs, masks and ephemera thrown in for good measure. It's painted in a 50's blue green and has alot of rectanguar shapes and stars painted in patterns atop the green. There is a large white square intersecting a large black square upon which I'd haphazardly centered a large tiki mask and a chrome antenna clock, respectively. One day I noticed the absolute disparate nature of the two and at the same time the strange synergy evoked from this contrast. Then it hit me, this is rocketiki. And so it is The RockeTiki Room. The bedroom is in vintage Deco and 50's mahogany furniture and includes a 60's pink hairdryer-chair-station. It's full of tiki-mugs, plaster exotic statues from the 50's, african and polynesian figures carved of wood, some of them vintage, lava lamps, octopus lamps, Vintage wood vac. tube phonograph console, classic LP's, japanese lanterns, jungle foliage and deco/jungle printed linens interspersed with formica retro end tables, freaky 50's table lamps, boomerang ashtrays(not used)Witco tiki masks, Picasso prints and original paintings an hollow log drums made by myself, girlfriend and artist friends. It looks like a 60's bachelor paradise in here but I've not come up with the perfect name yet. The adjoining bathroom has a tiki mug collection, fishnets, shells, black velvet and 50's ceramic fish wall hangings as well. Will have to work on it's naming too.

J
JTD posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2004 7:41 AM

Our tiki space is currently called: "That Godawful Mess in the Dining Room".

-JTD

I like that ... mess in the dining room. I don't have a tiki bar yet, I have boxes and piles of tiki stuff. My father is the purchasing dir. at our civic center, and my husband works PT security there, anyway, they were throwing out their "South Pacific" sets the other day and the two of them rescued them from the trash and brought them home! SO now that I have a huge pile of bamboo, I have no place to put it all. Every room is taken up by storage or people! lol We are moving in about 6 months though and the place has a breakfast room in addition to the normal dining room so I am thinking of making that area a tiki bar. We will call it The Coconut Monkey Tiki Bar and Retro Retreat. (my friend KT came up with the retro retreat.)

OH! one more thing, I noticed on here one day someone had asian ceiling tiles displayed, they were wood squares with asian themed deco on them... I have about 8 of those, I no longer have the wood backing, but I do have a pile of the decorations that were on them, all you would have to do is cut some wood and stick it on there... anyway if anyone would like them let me know, I need to get rid of them and you can have them if you pay for shipping... I'll send a picture if you want to see what they look like on the wood. [email protected] . My husband was driving by a Chinese restraunt they were tearing down to make a Mexican restraunt, he got all that would fit in the car at the time (10) (my dad stole two of them). Anyway, let me know if anyone wants them. They are all silver if I remember right but are easily painted whatever color you want, I have 8 of the center pieces and 4 sets of the outside pieces (corner flowers and border bars)

[ Edited by: Swanky_Tiki on 2004-01-25 10:13 ]

S
SES posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2004 11:48 AM

Hope you are moving to a bigger place! They look great. I emailed about the dragon. :wink:
SES

yes, right now we live with my dad, lol the house is full of his stuff, the storage is all of my stuff. same size as this place, but only one household worth of stuff, instead of two!

The Mauna Loa Lounge...

Named in honour of one of my fave old LPs: Music of the Islands by the Mauna Loa Islanders

I call mine "Ta'ero Tiki Hui", it suposed to mean Drunken Tiki Club.

But it probably means "Stupid tourist" or worse.

Sneakytiki, can you post photos of your kitchen? It sounds terrific!

NN2

The Red Tide Room

[ Edited by: Nui Nui 2 on 2004-01-27 09:49 ]

[ Edited by: Nui Nui 2 on 2004-01-27 10:13 ]

The name of some of my rooms, all of which are a work in progress:

Living Room = "The Polynes-Den"
A twist on the name Polynesian. Tiki, Las Vegas, '60's, and slightly Hugh Hefner-esque. Also, a tribute to my father's "room" when I was growing up which was called "The Den", and he even had a custom carved sign and a custom made bar.

Dining Room = "The Chow Main Room"
Yes, "Main", not "Mein". An Asian themed room that is our 'primary eating' area, thus the name "Chow Main".

Kitchen = "The Kitsch-in"
Vintage kitchen items and glassware with a touch of stainless modernism.

Daughters Room = "The Princess Room"
Lots of princess related decor. Light pink and purple colors.

Daughters/Guest Bath = "The Mermaid Room"
Mermaids & seashells.

Master Bedroom = "The Hanky Panky Room"
Do I really need to explain?

Master Bath = "The Mingo Room"
Pink with black accents...and yes, Flamingo's too.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2004-01-27 10:43 ]

Lava Lounge. No pictures yet-we just finished painting the walls and it will be a bit before everything is moved in. It's a 1962 house we are 'restoring' and it will be empty while we slave away for another 6 weeks or so. Then it will be the hottest tiki lounge in the greater Sacramento area (party at the Lava Lounge!)

:drink:

Tacky

H

I have been struggling to name my always-in-progress room. It'll become official when I make the sign! I am currently leaning toward "Coconut Lady's" after Lisa Douglas's favorite Hooterville monkey racer. (She was edged out by Cheetah's Child, though.) Release the Banana! Any thoughts?

My room will be (mostly) completed by August of this year ... it's been a major project. Phase 2 will be completed by March of 2005 which will carry the theme outside.

The inside room will be the Headhunter Lounge, and the part outside that will overlook the waterfall and the Fire God will be the Tahitian Terrace.

Cheers!

Ours will be "The Rincon Room" due to the proximity of that surfing area and we like the name.....TikiTony did the fine artwork and Gecko is working on the sign.....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 269 replies