Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maori Art Swap - Oti! (finished)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies

Official Swap Rules - Artists create an work of Tiki art based on the "Maori" theme. Can be any media; clay, wood, paint, fabric, beads, digital, metal, glass, mixed media, etc. The intent is for this to be an original "one-off" work of art, not part of a mass produced run. If it is created from an existing mold it should be heavily modified. Digital art or screen prints should be printed on a nice substrate, not just run off on a piece of art pad paper. You must post a picture of your finished piece by the deadline in order to be included in the drawing. Remember that you will probably ship your art to your partner, don't make anything so large or heavy that it cannot be shipped cost effectively. If you are not an established Swapper and/or established TC member, I will ask for real name and cell phone number so we have a solid contact in the event of a problem. Most of all, have fun and interact with some fellow TC folks :D

Looks like the Seasons of Tiki Swap is about wrapped up. We generally hold a summer Swap scheduled to end just before Tiki Oasis in August, luck of the draw usually allows some people to swap in person at Oasis. There was some interest in starting the next Swap soon, to give people more time to complete their art – anyone ready to start now? Tiki Oasis is August 18th this year, the Swap would need to end about Aug 12th.
There have been many themes used and proposed over the years, here are a list of some of them
(All as they relate to Tiki, of course)
Favorite Mug
Matchbooks
Drinks
Animal
Zodiacs
Hot Rod
Pin-up
Military
Tiki Bob
Maori
Waterfalls
Pufferfish
Moai
TV

Now I’m going to lobby for my favorite – MAORI/NEW ZEALAND!!!! Very traditional Tiki with a wide variety of styles and materials, something for everyone.
Wood Carving

Stone Carving

Bone Carving

Weapons

Tattoos

Too bad the Swaps aren’t good for performance art or you could create and perform a custom haka dance for your Swap partner :lol:

For further inspiration, here is a trailer for the 2015 Maori movie “The Bad Lands”, available to rent on Amazon. Action packed but rather bloody.

What are your thoughts on themes?

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-04-03 17:48 ]

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2016-08-09 12:59 ]

I'm in
This theme works for me

I'm in, love that Maori theme. Wendy

Maori or matchbook....I'm in

Anything else and I'd probably be out.

Maori - I'm in. August is too far off. Perhaps before Hukilau in June?

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2016-03-24 06:34 ]

I guess it's only fair that the East Coaster get a chance to swap in person too. Maybe we could use that as a recruitment tool to involve more Floridians. What do you think people? That's 9 weeks, it just means more time working and less time procrastinating.

Dat works

T
Tabu posted on Thu, Mar 24, 2016 12:22 PM

August fits my schedule.

I sent out a mass email for those who have participated in the past and may not check TC on a regular basis. If you want to be on that e-mail list and are not, let me know. If you asked me to add you previously and I didn't, I apologize :lol: Send me a PM again :wink:

T

Thanks for the email, Mike. I like the theme, hmm... Xena Warrior Princess was shot in NZ....

Are we committing to Maori right off the bat, other ideas out there?

Thanks for taking the helm again, sir!!

Definitely no commitment to Maori, that's just my favorite. Feel free to lobby for your favorite theme :wink:

Got it

I'm going to kidnap Mike
Tattoo him up
N ship him out in a big box

:)

:lol: I had forgotten about that pic :lol:

I can't
We see it daily

After looking through the "History of Swaps" (THANKS Mike), I noticed that New Zealand was already done in 2008. Have we come to point that we need to repeat themes?

I'm in for sure

I'm in, love the Maori theme, it's new to me so I couldn't care less that it's a repeat!

As for due dates I obviously love more time although if I'm doing clay I have to be done before the end of June anyway.

I'd like to start working asap either way. If I delay the procrastination just gets worse.

You're right Tom, we have done that one before. But it was 8 years ago and you are the only current swapper who participated :wink:

Be sure to put in you input for theme and ending date, I like to have a consensus on what the people want :)

Gonna announce a theme tomorrow morning, looks like Maori is a favorite. If you are looking for something else, speak up now :wink:

OK, Maori got the most action so Maori it is.

If you feel like living on the edge, here is a free on-line copy of The Deadlands. I cannot vouch for the safety of the website but I watched the movie a few months back and didn't seem to pick up any viruses. Clicking on the Play button may open a page that says you must register - DO NOT DO IT - the movie will play without registration.

Filmed in New Zealand in 2014, in Maori language with English subtitles, directed by Maori Tao Fraser, rated R. "After his tribe is slaughtered through an act of treachery, the teenage son of a slain Maori chieftain looks to avenge his father's murder and bring peace and honor to the souls of his loved ones."

Now to figure out an end date? Just before Oasis? Does that give people plenty of time to complete their art? Or is that too much time? what do you think?

I'm ready to start workin' on a project

Mike- funny, I watched that movie on Netflix a while back
There was 1 bad-ars lookin Tiki that I took pics of

Here's the pic

As far as the deadline
Sorry, no input
Doesn't matter to me
So I'll let those who care cast in dates

This will be a fun one

And you started already
Danggggg

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-03-28 10:45 ]

Also
Ironic that this is the topic
A friend from NZ gave me this yesterday

C
cy posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2016 10:53 AM

June would be too tight for me but I'm in if the due date is August.

Nice pics Jon, there is lots of cool stuff in this culture to choose from.

I think it looks like some sort of bird skull so far but it's not. Any guesses?

Right now on the Wealth Channel we're watching an episode about Easter Island! The show is Top Travel.

Here's a link to the episode - http://www.toptravel.co.za/articles/Episode-6---Easter-Island.html?articleID=8

Perfect inspiration....

Mike- a frame

Lori- did your new Moai sculpture inspire you to find the show?
Easter island is definitely on da bucket list

T

Hang10's Handy Home Tips- waiting for my copy to arrive! :wink:

I've been doing a bit of research of Maori art, think I found one to center around- though look forward to seeing how others are going to dig into this theme!

Mike's on a roll already....

I'm with cy, I'd vote for August, too....

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2016-03-28 22:45 ]

:)

What a wonderful book. We all need a copy!

Indigenous people often create create art from everyday items they have on hand. Since sheep are plentiful in New Zealand, it only seems fitting that the Maori might decorate a sheep skull.

I like this technique for hollow items like a skull. Basic shape is formed from Styrofoam, paper clay is rolled out and covers the foam, details are added.

Wendy- :)

CSI Mike is on the job

Still working ideas
Hmm

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-03-30 11:36 ]

Next I dissolved the foam from inside with a syringe and acetone

Since it is paper clay, I can speed up the drying process and should be able to fire tonight

Dang MadMan on a MadRoll

^
^
^
^
^
Too funny Jon!

T
TU posted on Thu, Mar 31, 2016 7:42 AM

Sounds great! I'm in. Thanks for getting the swap going Mike!

All fired. I aged it with some yellow and tan underglazes and put clear glaze on the teeth but not on the rest of the skull. Supposedly, one of the benefits of paper clay is that you can bisque fire and glaze fire together. You put your glazes on before the first firing and only fire once. I hadn't tried it before so I thought I would give it a shot. Seems like it worked out fine. Now for some decoration!

Um
So is the deadline April 1st?

No 4/1 deadline :lol: Life has been crazy lately, just want to be sure I get my project done. I have at least 2 more projects in mind including an oil painting, maybe my partner will get a choice? :wink:

T

On 2016-03-31 07:58, hang10tiki wrote:
Um
So is the deadline April 1st?

Hahahahah!

Well, Mike has apparently been gearing up to do this particular Swap for a while, it seems, huh???

Looks great Mike. Re: bisque AND glaze firing, I'm intrigued. (Though I'm not sure- we fire to cone 06 for bisque, then to cone 5 for glaze firing. Obviously, on a low fire kiln that doesn't work, do you normally bisque fire to an even lower temperature? (I could probably look that one up, but this is a whole lot easier). :) :)

I have an idea in mind that does not include sheep or Xena. It will test my wheel throwing skills- which, I admit, haven't been tested in a while. Since I have a bit of time before the deadline (what is the deadline, anyway), I'll mess around a bit. I'll wait to post a photo of my initial idea until I see if I can get the initial form a-going.

My SECOND idea is to make a physical representation of a Hongi, the traditional Maori greeting, hoping that fits into this theme?

Usually most low fire clay bisque fires at ^04 and then glaze fires at ^06 (lower) This one I fired only once at ^06

Can't wait to see what you throw and to see your hongi

Done!!!!! On display with my Tiki Diablo/Home Depot Maori

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2016 11:24 AM

Nicely done Mike!

T

Mike, looks great, you slacker. :wink:

Let’s be honest, I know most of you were thinking “Oh good Lord, I hope I don’t end up with that ugly skull! Where would I put it!!!???” :lol: :lol: :lol: No, that’s not my Swap project :D
Actually, I made that skull (without the Maori tattoos) a couple of weeks ago as a prank on my niece. A few years back in Mexico she opened the oven door at her grandmother’s house to find a goat head staring at her. She screamed! Her dad (my brother) thought if would be sweet if she could re-live that moment so he had me make a ceramic skull which we partially buried in a pan of barbacoa meat. When she lifted the foil she was startled for a second but then she turned to me and said “Uncle Mike!!!” It’s hard to pull a good prank when you already have a reputation :wink:

Classic

Where's the pic of it next to one of your giant coins?

Well that was a good one MadDogMike. I hope she puts it in her garden and smiles every time she sees it. What a great uncle. Wendy

T

Mike, quite the comedian....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 294 replies