Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Bar in North Hollywood?

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

Anyone have info on a possible new bar? I just stumbled across this post in Craigslist LA:

"Bar General Manager (North Hollywood)

New To Be Opened Modern TIKI Bar opening soon seeks Fun, Happy, Bright, Diligent, Professional and Detail Oriented General Manager. In this role you will be responsible for all begin work prior to opening to develop the Employee manual, the venue hours, recipes, POS programming, banking, etc.

We want a GM that actually has 5 years experience as a Bartender who can produce Hand Made Cocktails in a quick and consistent manner. You will be working as both a General Manager and a Bartender. Based upon previous operational History Tips should net out to $$$ every night.

Must be able to work FULL TIME beginning August 17th 2010. Interviews will be conducted on Friday August 13th in Los Angeles. Please send a picture and resume to above email. "

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/fbh/1884533159.html

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-09-02 10:23 ]

Sounds promising!

Maybe someone can respond and get some more info. Any volunteers?

K

The New Lucky Tiki perhaps?

J

Why NoHo of all places ??

There's already the Tonga Hut in the nabe with all of its AUTHENTIC mid-century classic Tiki-style goodness.

Santa Monica/Venice/West LA is starving for Tiki !!

Why North Hollywood? Because the west side is full of douchebags.

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail 2010-08-30 22:36 ]

J

That's not true !! (Mostly)

On 2010-08-30 22:32, JOHN-O wrote:

There's already the Tonga Hut in the nabe with all of its AUTHENTIC mid-century classic Tiki-style goodness.

Agreed on that John-O

On 2010-08-30 22:26, kirby wrote:
The New Lucky Tiki perhaps?

Yeah, the old one wasn't so lucky!

I live on the westside now and I agree it is full of yuppy deuche bags in desperate need of some culture

"New Tiki Bar is North Hollywood?"
Apparently ALL of North Hollywood is the new tiki bar! :)

ZAZZ!

H

I remember when Lucky Tiki closed in Chatsworth a few years back the roomer was that the owner was going to open another tiki bar in North Hollywood, I wonder if this is the one.

On 2010-08-31 23:08, mrsmiley wrote:

Apparently ALL of North Hollywood is the new tiki bar!ZAZZ!

It is! Have you not visited?

On 2010-08-31 11:37, 1961surf wrote:

On 2010-08-30 22:32, JOHN-O wrote:

Agreed on that John-O

Have you forgotten Trader Vic's Lounge?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=23970&forum=1&start=90

JB

I was just getting new tires for my car and while I was waiting, I happened to glance across the street. I noticed three large tiki torches on the front of a building that had construction going on inside. I walked across the street and sure enough..thatch and bamboo everywhere. The owner wouldn't let me take any pictures of the construction, but from what I saw, it looked pretty promising. I asked him what the name was and he either said "Tiki No" or "Tiki NoHo"....(the construction noise was fairly loud...I hope it's the later).

He also told me that there was going to be a soft opening this Sunday night 10/10/10, hopefully with the torches lit.

I believe the address is 4667 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood. (right across the street from Just Tires).

Here's the front of the place I snapped with my phone.

Hmmmm....

JB

On 2010-10-04 18:49, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hmmmm....

I know, I know. I was suspicious the moment I walked in and didn't see you in there. I'm just trying to be optimistic.

On 2010-10-04 19:02, Joe Banks wrote:

On 2010-10-04 18:49, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hmmmm....

I know, I know. I was suspicious the moment I walked in and didn't see you in there. I'm just trying to be optimistic.

Hope it all works out for the best, Joe.

TS

I find it genuinely weird that this is the biggest resource of tiki on the internet, and nobody heard or spoke about it until an ad appeared on craigslist? Either we have Lurker bar builders, or some 'not-so-much-in-the-loop' business venturers.

I don't find it that odd that there could be tiki places opening,
and the owners, and or builders not be on TC.

there are bad tiki bars out there.
this could be another one of the bad ones.
of course I am not hoping for that.

Sun. is my B-day.
maybe I will try to swing by up there to check it out.
But....Probably not.

Jeff(btd)

They talked to us pros, but that is as far as they went I guess.

Didn't Ben post pictures in another thread about a bar he's building in NH?

M
Murph posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 4:09 PM
T

Why would you need a password to see their website? Weird.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 5:48 PM

From their Facebook page:

"Pics that make us think of Tiki-No."

On 2010-10-06 17:48, Murph wrote:
From their Facebook page:

"Pics that make us think of Tiki-No."

Kinda hard to remain optimistic after reading/ seeing that. Tiki Yoga?

On 2010-10-06 10:54, Queen Kamehameha wrote:

Over on Facebook QK.

I didn't post here on TC because I knew that the "Tiki Snobs" would start baggin.

As, they are. :wink:

Hey if they got Ben to do the decor,they did one thing right so far
now if they understand the importance of good cocktails.....

T

Bamboo, Lahala and Thatch, Lava Rock fireplace, and the classic style conical tiki torches on the roof...

I'd say it's off to a good start. What "new" tiki establishment has those classic gas tiki torches on their exterior ? I think this may be the only one.

The images aren't offensive to me....Let's see : Elvis "Blue Hawaii", classic Vans shoes, a pic from some book about kitsch depicting some folks in a basement Tiki bar circa early 60's.... Nothing bad about any of those.

Lighten up people. Watch an episode of the NEW HAwaii 5-0 and deal with the fact that it's 2010.

Besides...no one has confirmed nor denied that this isn't the same people who gave us The Lucky Tiki... yet.

Looking forward to seeing this new place.

T
TNT posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2010 3:24 PM

We agree Tikiyaki. And, it's close to home.

T

I know that B Ben , Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo and myself were all asked to be part of this creation . I had to decline as I was busy with other projects .

K
kirby posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2010 4:54 PM

They never asked me!!

On 2010-10-07 16:54, kirby wrote:
They never asked me!!

maybe they don't know who you are.
shocking I know.
:wink: :o

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-10-06 21:49, RevBambooBen wrote:

Over on Facebook QK.

I didn't post here on TC because I knew that the "Tiki Snobs" would start baggin.

what's Facebook?

Jeff(btd)

M
MrFab posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2010 3:21 PM

That location looks familiar...wasn't there a club there before that featured '60s garage rock kinda stuff? Can't remember what it was called...

S

more importantly, what's "Tiki Snobs"?

I was in the neighborhood the other day and thought it was nicely placed (except for parking). It's not in the middle of the wanna be trendy part. Just south enough to seem remote, but still be handy. I'm optimistic.

On 2010-10-06 21:49, RevBambooBen wrote:

Over on Facebook QK.

Sorry Ben, I just realized it was Facebook, its looking good!

Soft opening is not happening tomorrow.

Adding more stuff.

Details....lots of details....

wait till you see the T.V.'s !!!

also, does anyone really know what time it is?

Should be fun.

K
kirby posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2010 7:42 PM

Im Very excited about the TV's BeN,but one question is there gonna actual tikis in the bar? oh and its 7:40 here in La Crescenta.

T

On 2010-10-09 19:42, kirby wrote:
Im Very excited about the TV's BeN,but one question is there gonna actual tikis in the bar? oh and its 7:40 here in La Crescenta.

Kirby, there are tikis in there...look at ben's facebook fotos !!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 10, 2010 1:18 AM

On 2010-10-09 18:52, RevBambooBen wrote:

does anyone really know what time it is?

It's 5:00 somewhere.

On 2010-10-09 18:52, RevBambooBen wrote:

also, does anyone really know what time it is?

25 or 6 to 4

Buzzy Out!

P

On 2010-10-07 00:17, tikiyaki wrote:
Bamboo, Lahala and Thatch, Lava Rock fireplace, and the classic style conical tiki torches on the roof...

I'd say it's off to a good start. What "new" tiki establishment has those classic gas tiki torches on their exterior ? I think this may be the only one.

The images aren't offensive to me....Let's see : Elvis "Blue Hawaii", classic Vans shoes, a pic from some book about kitsch depicting some folks in a basement Tiki bar circa early 60's.... Nothing bad about any of those.

Lighten up people. Watch an episode of the NEW HAwaii 5-0 and deal with the fact that it's 2010.

Besides...no one has confirmed nor denied that this isn't the same people who gave us The Lucky Tiki... yet.

while it's not necessarily "tiki", micky finz on fremont street has the conical, gas tiki lamps outside. they're next to the large stone moai tiki diablo made.

Oh, Great! Another L.A. Tiki bar I'll need to visit soon.

Let's see, we have the following-

Purple Orchid
Trader Vics in Beverly Hills
Trader Vics in L.A.
Tiki Ti
Tonga Hut
Don the Beachcomber
Puka Bar
Bahookas

Closed, but not forgotten

the new Luau
Trader Vics in Beverly Hills
and who knows what else.

What am I forgetting?

And now - Tiki No

Way to go L.A. It's a long drive from Palm Springs just to get a decent drink.

L

The tiki columns holding up the slanted thatch roof inside look killer. Did Al do those?

T

On 2010-10-10 14:22, pdrake wrote:

On 2010-10-07 00:17, tikiyaki wrote:

while it's not necessarily "tiki", micky finz on fremont street has the conical, gas tiki lamps outside. they're next to the large stone moai tiki diablo made.

There's a Mickey Finz walking distance from my house here in redondo....Awesome Diablo lamps outside and in...no torches tho'.

Pages: 1 2 57 replies