Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Polynesian restaurant china and serveware

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

Thought it may be a good time to start a page where people can get some help identifying different types of china plates and dinnerware as well as server ware from various restaurants. This is open to all Polynesian restaurants not just a single establishment. There are a bunch of folks on TC who have allot of knowledge in this area and will be nice to see it all come together. Here is a good place to start a search. Post pics of your collection as well so we can have a quick index of designs .
If anyone has any questions about this subject there many people on TC with allot of knowledge that can help out. And if any one has any items to add that would great.Thanks

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-02-28 18:29 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2018-11-29 13:35 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2018-11-29 13:47 ]

OGR

Uncle Trav, Great thread idea...that site you linked to is a great resource. I also use "Little Spoon" website for ID info also. Again, thanks! OGR

Thanks OGR. Here is a very loose list (in no particular order) of manufactures and the restaurants they supplied with both china and server ware. This is just a quick list that I am sure many can be added to.

(Sterling China, Japan.)

Ren Clark's Polynesian Village
Kahiki
Trader Vic's
Kon Tiki Ports

(Vernon Kilns Pottery, Vernon CA)

Trader Vic's

(H.F. Coors China Company, Tucson AZ.)

Don The Beachcomber

(Red wing Pottery, Red wing MN)

Trader Vic's

(Tepco, "Technical Porcelain and Chinaware Co.", El Cerrito CA)

Bali Hai
Trader Vic's

(Walker China Co., Bedford OH)

The Luau
Ports O' Call
Kon Tiki
Kowloon
Polynesian
Tahiti
Tiki Lau

(Jackson China Co, Falls Creek PA)

Hawaiian Gardens
Kon Tiki
Kon Tiki Ports
Aloha Restaurant
Don The Beachcomber
Trade Winds
Hawaiian Cottage
Kowloon
Hawaii Kai
Mai Tai
Mauna Loa
Diamond Head
Cathay Island
Islander

(Hoffman Pottery & China Co., Columbus and Whitehall OH)

Kahiki

(Syracuse China, Lyncourt NY)

Mai Kai
Kona Kai

(Shenango China Co., New Castle PA)

Pacific Hut

(Homer Laughlin China Co. Newell WV)

Trader Vic's
Kona Kai

(Pyroceram by Corning. Corning NY)

Aku Aku
The Islander

(Wellsville China Co.)

Ren Clark's Polynesian Village
Junkanoo

(Wallace China Co., Vernon CA)

Chi Chi Club

(Great China ?)

Tiki Cove

(Frankoma Pottery, Norman OK)

Trade Winds

(Buffalo China Co.)

South Pacific

(Mayer China Co., Beaver Falls PA)

Quinn's

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2010-07-04 05:06 ]

Glassware companies.

These two companies supplied the bulk of the more elaborate glassware to Polynesian restaurants. With designs such as stemware glasses with a jockey or tiki stem by Morgantown. Both companies produced the Port and Starboard mugs and times.A note about the Tiki stemware for Trader Vic's, the design shows up on many menus but I believe that Vic's was the only one who used it as he patented the design in 1960. As far as I can tell Morgantown was the only maker of the various types of logo stemware.

Imperial Glass Corp.(Bellaire OH.)

Here is a catalog page from Imperial Glass from 1966 showing a nice selection of glassware.

On the left is the "Big Shot" by Imperial for the Gun Club Punch cocktail also made in red. In the middle is the "Little Shot" shot glass. Next is the "Port Light" for the cocktail of the same name also the green version shown in the catalog the "Starboard Light" for the cocktail of the same name.

Morgantown Glass Works, (Morgantown WV)

Morgantown was known for it's high quality stemware supplied to various restaurants. The Derby Daqari made for the Mai Kai and three diferent styles of stemware with a Tiki stem for Trader Vic's are great examples. Morgantown also made Port and Starboard Light mugs for Imperial when Imperial could not fill the order themselves.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-31 05:48 ]

Xlnt pics Trav .

OGR

Uncle Trav, Many thanks for the glassware info...very NICE Work. OGR

Here is a good look at Trader Vic's glassware lineup from 1947. Makes a good reference for glassware of that time. Trader Vic's 1972 revised bartender's guide also has some great black & white photos of glassware and mugs.

A page from the Tepco catalog dates from 1966. Makes a good quick reference page. I marked the items of interest. Here is a short quote from a 1982 history of Tepco.

"Tepco outfitted Victor Bergeron with the original ware for his Polynesian theme Trader Vic restaurants: the Samoan Fog Cutter, the Tiki, Scorpion and Hula bowls, the Kamaaina coconut cup and a Death's Head mug for hot rum."

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-31 13:16 ]

Wonder what the Tepco "Primitive Man" mug really looks like...

With those mugs 'n' bowls, does my 1968 Otagiri assortment fit in here, then?:

I don't wanna make this a Tiki Mug thread again...

M

Maybe it's because I grew up with a duck hunting dad, but I can't help but think that those red Imperial Glass glasses with the brass bottoms look like shotgun shells!

Thanks Sven. That primitive man mug is the Genghis Khan mug. Page 100 in Tiki Quest. And your post fits fine as it show some of the server ware offered by OMC. I got a little into the mug area with the Tepco catalog but couldn't help myself. And thanks guys for your comments.

On 2009-10-30 19:09, modbetty wrote:
Maybe it's because I grew up with a duck hunting dad, but I can't help but think that those red Imperial Glass glasses with the brass bottoms look like shotgun shells!

They are shotgun shells complete with the primer on the bottom. The drink served in the was them "Gun Club Punch" and the mug is called the "Big Shot"

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-30 19:20 ]

On 2009-10-30 18:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wonder what the Tepco "Primitive Man" mug really looks like...

The Genghis Khan mug. (Photo from the collection of Tahiki.)

Looks more like "Angry Asian Man" :D

Trav, maybe you have to x-plain the mugs you posted for the newbies, like that the other one is in the likeness of a port light, for a cocktail of the same name, and that there was a starboard light glass/cocktail, too.

Interesting that I have NEVER seen the barrel glasses used in Tikidom, considering that there were so many ceramic rum barrel containers. Wonder why.

Sven, I'll have to do a little better on the description end of things so the new folks have an idea of whats out there and what items were used for. Now from a small piece of china from Trader Vic's a soy sauce decanter. About 3" high and 4" long. No makers mark but looks similar to the one in the OMC catalog photo in Sven's post.

On 2009-10-31 05:41, uncle trav wrote:
Sven, I'll have to do a little better on the description end of things so the new folks have an idea of whats out there and what items were used for. Now from a small piece of china from Trader Vic's a soy sauce decanter. About 3" high and 4" long. No makers mark but looks similar to the one in the OMC catalog photo in Sven's post.

OK, Trav, you got me on board:

First, for general interest, some more pages from the OTAGIRI catalog, their Tiki mugs were just a small side business, they had tons of Japanese pottery and restaurant table decor that was non-Tiki:

And here some table mats:

What's so funny, huh!? :D

But back to the specific motto of this thread, Tiki restaurant china. I don't have much, I only picked it up as I went along, and I always thought it to be a bit nerdy to get into the manufacturer details....cuz I am NOT a collector nerd, ya know, no I ain't! :D

Aku Aku Las Vegas:

Islander, L.A.:

Trader Vic's:

This one is "fake", it's a contemporary souvenir plate:

Last not least, my Stephen Crane Kon Tiki tea pot!:

Now if we only could get Kate to post her wares, I think she has a bunch! :)

Fantastic post Sven. Thanks for the input. I'll add those makers to the list in the first part of the thread. I have never seen that plate from the Aku Aku before. Thanks again.

Forgot one, just a little Fu-joint soy dish:

...but with a nice logo:

Now THAT's great china! :)

I actually don't have a ton of restaurant ware, but here's what I do have that hasn't already been posted in this thread.

Hawaiian Village plate and tea cup by Syracuse.

Ren Clark's Polynesian plate by Wellsville China.

Unknown Syracuse plate.

Kon-Tiki creamer and coffee cup by Sterling and Jackson China.

Kon Tiki Ports gravy boat and sauce bowl by Jackson China.

Ports O' Call creamer by Walker China.

Luau plate by Walker China.

Absolutely smashing! That Ren Clark plate is one of the best in the genre! This thread is taking off!

Oops. Forgot this one.

Trader Vic's cruet with no makers mark.

Wow!! so far we have eighteen manufacturing companies and twenty seven restaurant represented on this one thread. Thanks Sven and Kate I have added the items you both posted to the list at the beginning of the thread. That Ren Clark plate is one of my favorites and was made by sterling as well. Thanks again for the posts.

Great stuff, guys! Here's my 2 cents:

And, just for good measure, a Kon Tiki spoon by Oneida:

auctions over - info i posted earlier is now no longer current. back to the original program.

[ Edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2009-11-01 17:19 ]

UT

Big Kahuna, now you dunit...we have to start a silverware list :D. Which fits into the category well. You have a great collection of china. Thanks for adding it. That Pacific Hut plate was made by Shenango for the distributor and is a great find. Are those small cups for tea or are they condiment holders? I was never sure about that. Thanks again for your post and I'll edit the china list and start up a silverware list.

BK

Hey, Trav! I was really psyched to find both of those plates. The cups are definitely tea cups. I would have bought the Ren Clark plate, but somebody satrted the bidding war & I'm off to Vegas in an hour, so I won't be around to see it end. Oh, well! Frankie's here I come! Yahoo!

Here are my additions. Sorry for the BlackBerry photos!

The bottom of this one was too faint..it was made by Sterling.

This is a new TV's plate from Vegas. No mark on the bottom.

:drink:

Tacky

On 2009-11-01 11:36, Tacky Tiki wrote:

Thanks for the input Tacky. I believe this cup is from the Hawaiian Gardens in Holly MI. That one I whish I could find. Thanks again.

UT

I saw this image while I was doing a bit of online research. From the Chi Chi Club in Palm Springs about 1952. A great dinner plate with an image of a Leeteg velvet also used on the menu cover.

On 2009-11-01 12:22, uncle trav wrote:

On 2009-11-01 11:36, Tacky Tiki wrote:

Thanks for the input Tacky. I believe this cup is from the Hawaiian Gardens in Holly MI. That one I whish I could find. Thanks again.

I got this small plate from Tikisgrl in one of the mug swaps.

TT

I'm jealous!!!!

But at least now I know where my cup came from!!! And I'll be on the lookout for other pieces!

:drink:
Tacky

T

Trader Vic's salad plate by Sterling.

UT

How about some silverware or flatware as it's known the the biz I guess. Must be allot of it around as it won't break.

BK

Scored this in Vegas!:

Trav,

Here is a compote bowl with the unmistakable logo from the Don The Beachcomber's restaurant at the Sahara in Las Vegas (recently sold on ebay).

No maker marking on the bottom.

DC

Thanks Dusty. I saw a plate go on eBay not to long ago with the same logo for the Vegas location. I have H.F. Coors as the maker of china for the other locations. Not sure if this one is the same company but would be great to find one with that logo with a makers mark. Thanks for the addition.

A rare Mauna Loa china dinner plate just sold on ebay. Now have it in the list on page one of the thread as being made by Jackson china.

T

Still haven't figured out where the Mauna Kai plate is from. It's in the book of tiki at towards the end.
The first one is from the Aloha Bar & Restaurant - 2775 Monroe Ave - Rochester, New York, United States: http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=220

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-11-20 18:21 ]

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-11-20 18:25 ]

Tahitiki,

Those are some killer plates. Never heard of either of those locations, thanks for posting.

Here is a Tepco plate made for Trader Vic's that I spied on ebay recently.

DC

We can't leave out Frankoma Pottery who made some fine items for the Trade Winds in Tulsa OK. Including some great serve and tableware.

T

Some of mine

Mai Tai slightly different makers mark

Diamond Head not sure where this is from?

Cathay Island, New Hampshire

Tiki Lau, Westford & Amesbury, Mass

Tikisgrl. Thanks for the great additions. I have added them to the list on page one. The list is getting bigger. I believe your Diamond Head plate is from this location posted by Dustycajun. Thanks for posting.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33741&forum=2

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-11-23 08:30 ]

T

On 2009-11-02 09:36, uncle trav wrote:
I saw this image while I was doing a bit of online research. From the Chi Chi Club in Palm Springs about 1952. A great dinner plate with an image of a Leeteg velvet also used on the menu cover.

Posted this glass in finds. There doesn't seem to be a thread for glassware yet... So I'll add it here.

Trav - sorry I was late getting back to you on the mark on that Mauna Loa plate. Glad you found the info on eBay. Mine is marked Jackson China as well.

Here are a few more from my collection. First, a comparison of the Traders vs. Trader Vic's logos:

:up: The Traders is marked Wallace China. The Trader Vic's is marked Sterling China.

:down: The Hawaiian Gardens, (Holly, MI), dinner plate:

:down: Tex Cook's Kai Kai. The only plate I know mixing Tapa with a Longhorn Steer motif.

And a few photos I've gleaned from eBay:

Hey, Sabu! Do you know how old that Trader Vic's plate is? I just got lucky on ebay & scored one for $7.99!

Very very nice Sabu. I have never heard of the Kai Kai. Great additions to the thread. This just keeps getting better. Thanks for the photos.

ebay been bery bery good to me!
Trader Vic's Salad Plate-Sterling China:

Kahiki Creamer-Sterling China:

Kon Tiki Teapot-Walker China:

Luau Tea Cup-Walker China:

Luau Salad Plate-Walker China:

Islander Footed, Diamond-shaped Plate-Jackson China:

Mauna Kai Compote-Unmarked:

Mauna Loa Dinner Plate-Jackson China:

Big Kahuna you are building an impressive collection of china. I added the piece from the Islander to the list on page one. Thanks for sharing and keep posting those great finds.

Pages: 1 2 91 replies