Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

South Florida Carving JAM, Ft Lauderdale

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

B

FUN FUN FUN,
Its that time again.... South Florida Carving Jam!

Starting at 9am, Saturday, August 1, Bring your tools and whatever project your currently working on, and we'll provide a workspace (mostly shaded), some coffee and a nibble for the early crowd, a light lunch, and non-alcoholic beverages.

Then at 4pm, we're switching gears and having a Luau! The Gumbo Limbo Chapter of the Fraternal Order of Moai Invites You to a Pot-Luck Luau. Please bring a dish (and contributions to the bar are never frowned upon), and a bathing suit if you'd like to take a dip in the pool.

2415 Coolidge St, Hollywood.
954-929-6529

Please RSVP here or by PM to Chip and Andy and let us know what you're bringing to the Luau so we can plan accordingly.

Can't wait to see you.
I will be there Early along with Sherry so if anyone has any requests please let me know here with a PM

I'll be there! Just in time for my move back to Lauderdale! Can't wait!

Chip and Andy, please let me know if there's anything specific you'd like for me to bring, otherwise I'll be bringing my Hawaiian meatballs.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 12:52 PM

Right on. I can't wait to make a dusty mess with you again Ben.

Surprise TK, glad to hear of your return to So Fla...you know its just not the same without ya.

Gman? Gonna make it down this time? We missed you like crazy the past few events.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2009-07-01 12:55 ]

On 2009-07-01 12:52, Loki wrote:
Right on. I can't wait to make a dusty mess with you again Ben.

Carvers. Tools. Noise. Sawdust. Woodchips.

Followed by music, ohana, swimming, generalized South Florida FOM Chaos.... It's going to be fantastic!

Psst... Pablus..... do you think if I bottle up some of Ben's sawdust I could auction it off on ebay?

[ Edited by: chip and andy 2009-07-01 14:04 ]

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 4:45 PM

I bid 20 bucks.

Hmmmm, I may have to set aside some funds for this one.
Haven't been to the Mai Kai this year. Love carvers. Could be.

B

Cool News Christie, very happy to hear that.
Yeah Loki, we'll make lots of dust and noise.
Chip, How many bottles do you need and I think the Jade dust will get more so we'll do both and throw in some bone dust too for good measure.
Pablus, Save away, gotta have you and the Uke!

W

color me in
Will

I was just hoping and wondering when this tradition would pick up again. Gotta do some begging at work first for the time, but have every intention of going.

B

Thanks Will, Happy you can make it, Snag Tom while you're at it if he's not travelling arounf SOCal! :(

Dreamer. Yeay, glad you'll be there too

Liz,

I'm so glad you will be there! Ben, look forward to giving you big hugs and seeing your magic. Thanks so much to Chip and Andy for hosting!

Tiki Mango?

Aloha Station?

GMan? Bohemiann?

You gonna be able to make it down?

The morning really is going to be all about carving! Noise, sawdust, tools, sweat...... all the things that go along with carving.

For you chainsaw carvers we have a 'small but comfortable' area where you can sling those chains.

For those of you with power tools, I only have a couple of extension cords so it would be helpful if you would bring one too. I have enough outlets on enough different circuits that we shouldn't blow too many fuses.... I hope.

And, as the afternoon approaches and we start to shift into the Luau we have the pool to cool you off and get you in the mood.

T

I'll be heading down for sure! If any carvers live north of zip 32937, PM me! Perhaps you can drive to my location and I can drive the last leg while you nap.

We will have a big pot of yummy Kalua Pork for the luau. Feel free to bring a side dish or dessert for everyone to enjoy.

See you in August!

Andy

On 2009-07-04 07:44, Chip and Andy wrote:
We will have a big pot of yummy Kalua Pork for the luau. Feel free to bring a side dish or dessert for everyone to enjoy.

See you in August!

Andy

So much for bringing Kalua Piggie....

T

Ben - Thanks for the heads up about this event. Currently making my plans to attend. Hopefully a humble bone carver is welcome to hang out with the wood carving crowd. Since it is such a long trip from Tampabay I'll probably not bring food, but will carve Moai while I am there as gifts to leave the hosts. Will that work? Thanks, Doug

On 2009-07-06 07:33, tikidoug wrote:
Will that work? Thanks, Doug

That would be most excellent!

B

Welcome to TC Tikidoug, I suppose we might allow one bone carver there especially since you already promised the hosts a great piece! :o :lol:
Thanks for planning to come and Yes there will be a few bone carvers there and we even plan a session on bone carving!
FUN FUN FUN!

I've been hanging out in the Redneck Riviera last week and just saw this. Count me in! I may even try digging into the bone with some supervision. I'll leave the chainsaw at home but will bring a liver that needs to be punished!!

B

Hey Aloha, I Knew you couldn't resist, Especially with Willie boy coming too.
I will be bringing some bone pieces and tools to mess it up with too. so you'll get a chance but be Forewarned, Once you start carving bone it Doesn't like letting go! It will make you dig deep for all the detail you can muster and then ask for more. It's just Amazing what you can do to it!
FUN FUN FUN

On 2009-07-07 08:16, AlohaStation wrote:
I've been hanging out in the Redneck Riviera last week and just saw this. Count me in! I may even try digging into the bone with some supervision. I'll leave the chainsaw at home but will bring a liver that needs to be punished!!

Um Alohastation,

Chip and I just got back from a retreat and this will be a dry event.

Ah ha, gottcha!

Let me guess the whole day is actually a roos (sp?) - you have some products that you want to show us. A great way to save money. From the shoes your wearing to the car you drive - you get it all from Am**y.

Ooooo - looking forward to it!!

Where can I get bone locally? And what type? I haven't carved a thing since that last jam and would love to try.

On 2009-07-09 10:41, AlohaStation wrote:
Let me guess the whole day is actually a roos (sp?) - you have some products that you want to show us. A great way to save money. From the shoes your wearing to the car you drive - you get it all from Am**y.

Ooooo - looking forward to it!!

I don't know this Amy you speak of. But we did want to ask you how you feel? Have you considered any nutritional supplements for what ails you?

:) :)

Question to the Bone Carvers..... do you need any special environmental controls for the dust? Extra fans? Surgical Masks? Speak up and we'll try to get as much as we can ready for you, specifically we'll try to get enough to cover those that want to learn and may not already have what is needed.

Bone can be scored at any Pet Supply store. I have some deer antler that I am willing to pass along.

E
e33 posted on Fri, Jul 10, 2009 11:47 AM

On 2009-07-09 21:15, I dream of tiki wrote:
Where can I get bone locally?

hmm...n'ah, too easy.

LuRu and I will be there for sure. Leaning toward bringing some szechuan vegatables for the potluck.

B

Pet super Market has the best brand, $1.99 for a nice, white piece of bovine leg bone 4 inches long.
Fans and surgical masks will work perfect.
Aloha I would love to try a piece of deer antler.

If we're gonna carve bone outside (recommended) then paper filters should be fine. The bone brand to look for is "Just Bone" from Pet Supermarket as Benzart sez. If you have to go to PetCo, they carry "Red Barn" which can be very porous, and can be hit or miss for carving, but you can still get usable pieces from it.

Anyone bringing a bench grinder, scroll saw or other big power tools? I can bring 2 Dremel tools.

B

Here are the tools I will bring:
Bench grinder, Buffer, band saw, fan or 2, Dremel, flex shaft, micromotor,burs, chisils and gouges, who knows what else.
bone pieces, wood pieces, stones and a log or two.
What Am I Crazy? I'll need a truck to get all that down there. Oh yeah I have one so anything else I need?
artificial deer sinew stuff.
I didn't say knifes yet.( still a bit shy about that word)
?
?
?

I think I should get a couple of more extension cords.......

We also have a dremel tool, but we don't have any interesting bits for it. Perhaps Benzart could cram a few more into his already overloaded truck?

And, if you haven't figured it out yet, there is going to be some serious carving during the day. Grinders, Chainsaws, Bone dust, I would say knives but that makes Ben nervous, and all manner of sharp objects used to liberate the Tiki's from their wood casings. All of which is going to make the evening's Luau that much more fun!

Everyone bring a swim suit (or not, we don't care if you don't care) so you can jump in to cool off during the day, or jump in to lounge about during the evening.

B

chip, did you say you can get surgical masks? If so, are the good cloth kind s I would love a couple for my shop.
I will bring a couple extension chords too and yes some extra burs for the Dremel's.

I am trying to add it to my hectic schedule.... Hopefully I can see the works and workers in progress.... This great that the community is pulling closer together

Hey Benz, you forgot the kitchen sink!! I will be bringing stuff.

The PuPu platter express has told me that the offerings for the luau so far will be Kaulua Pork, Sezchuan vegetables, three bean salad, lomi lomi salmon, Poke and Hawaiian meatballs. Sounds yummy to me!

I gotta get to this.. rearrange everything else.....

I'll have my 6 year old in tow, I hope this will be acceptable?

On 2009-07-20 01:15, TikiMango wrote:
I'll have my 6 year old in tow, I hope this will be acceptable?

Certainly! Gotta get them carving early!

(psstt.... Ray..... our house is not really kid safe. Its not like we eat kids or anything, we just have sharp things down low which makes some parents nervous. Since your kid is learning to carve I don't think you have the usual fear of sharp things around your kid.)

[ Edited by: chip and andy 2009-07-20 08:17 ]

I have my handle bottle of Appleton Gold, will also be bringing UV Blue Vodka. Making mini muffins for the morning group along with a Coco Casa cake for dessert.

Chip & Andy - let me know if you would like me to bring anything else. :)

On 2009-07-20 07:12, MrsBenZart wrote:
Chip & Andy - let me know if you would like me to bring anything else. :)

You can bring Ben!

Houses can be "baby proof" - Nobody's house in KID PROOF (unless you live in a padded cell). I've met some kids that make the cell look desirable!

Getting very excited! Less than a week now!

I've got all the bits for sharpening tools so if anyone needs to give their chisels a tune-up I'm ready for you.

And, for the Meet & Greet Pot-Luck Luau, we still need something sweet for dessert..... anyone wanna make a pie?

On 2009-07-20 07:12, MrsBenZart wrote:
Making mini muffins for the morning group along with a Coco Casa cake for dessert.

On 2009-07-26 15:44, Chip and Andy wrote:

And, for the Meet & Greet Pot-Luck Luau, we still need something sweet for dessert..... anyone wanna make a pie?

I can make a pie instead of cake - let me know

[ Edited by: MrsBenZart 2009-07-27 03:35 ]

On 2009-07-27 03:32, MrsBenZart wrote:
I can make a pie instead of cake - let me know

No, please bring the Coco Casa cake! I am looking forward to a slice of that yummy!

Still wrestling with what to bring to carve???

I will be carving some Tortuga Rum Cake straight from the Bahamas and washing it down with 140 proof Rum from the same!

After 4 p.m. that is :wink: Safety First!

I am going to just slam out a Palm in the a.m.

p.s. - Anyone up for a warm up @ the Molokai tomorrow happy hour?

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2009-07-30 11:51 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2009-07-30 12:00 ]

On 2009-07-30 11:50, Bohemiann wrote:
After 4 p.m. that is

In tiki time - is that around Noon?

Molokai is a definate maybe-ish.

Aloha everyone.....good to be back in South Florida. Thanks for all the messages ohana!

I'll probably make it to the Mai-Kai tonight at about 9pm, no earlier, scored a mid-century piece in North Palm Beach for $65 and must pick it up tonight.

I am one of the unfortunate ones that work on Saturday so I won't be able to be there until about 7pm, maybe a tad bit earlier. If anyone needs anything last minute don't hesitate to give me a call and I'll pick it up, ice, rum, whatever.

C&A - I'll be bringing something special for your bar.

See everyone tomorrow - stay awake and alert!!

On 2009-07-31 08:26, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I am one of the unfortunate ones that work on Saturday so I won't be able to be there until about 7pm,

No carving lessons for you!

We'll see everyone tomorrow.

B

T

I had a great time, and my son Clark did as well. It was great meeting old and new friends. There was a lot of high octane talent there, and the pieces that everyone had going were awesome. I think we might have a few new bone carvers in the mix as well.

Chip and Andy, thanks for hosting, the food and drinks were yummy! You have a swanky pad, thanks for letting us play there.

Pupule Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMango 2009-08-02 07:49 ]

Pages: 1 2 62 replies