Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis around your neighborhood

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

I did not use the "search" mode.

Please post your neighborhood tikis here.

On 2007-06-12 17:48, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I did not use the "search" mode.

Please post your neighborhood tikis here.

I am srcolling for my local tikis Van. I will find them.

Oh, who are the tikis in your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
Say, who are the tikis in your neighborhood?
The tikis that you meet each day

T

Would you count Mrs. Johnson tiki bikini as she mows the lawn !!!!!

On 2007-06-13 17:12, TikiLaLe wrote:
Would you count Mrs. Johnson tiki bikini as she mows the lawn !!!!!

This thead definately needs pictures...lol

Sorry, the hard drive with the pics went down.

Baliesque?

B

Walts Fish Market Has these two guys out front.

Oh yes. I mentioned this on another thread a while back.....at the corner of Holly Oak Drive and Ash Drive in Monterey Park--yeah, basically on top of the hill that overlooked Danny Balsz's The Tikis way back when that place was there--is a house. They have a U-shaped driveway and in the center of that there is a little island with a clump of bushes. The bushes have grown over the volcanic-rock tiki and now you can't see it. But it's in there...rough-hewn and mysteriously powerful.

In the 70's, every time I took a walk around the block, I would pass this tiki and it always had a friendly presence. The tiki has most likely been in this location since the mid-60's, I would imagine.

I have seen this house go up for sale a couple of times now, sometimes the place looks deserted and sometimes there are several cars in the driveway, just lately I have seen cars there. But I do not have the nerve, for some reason, to go up to this house and bug whoever is there about a tiki that is hiding in their bushes! Am I a chicken about this?

On 2007-07-01 06:38, Bohemiann wrote:

I dig this guy. He looks like me. He is very Viking. I wonder if Walt is Scandinavian.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-07-02 10:36 ]

S

That's no tiki, that's a rabbit or beaver!

or a rabid beaver

BB

TL

Found these up in Loc Conchita and Summerland just south of Santa Barbara

It's hard to see them but there in there. I really didn't want to get out of my car at this house so I took them thruogh the open window of my car

As I was taking this picture, I noticed movement on the second story balcony. I looked up and observed a very suspicious and grouchy old man glaring down at me. "Just taking a picture of your TIKI" I said and slowly and quietly moved down the road. Probably doesn't appreciate what he has

Hang Loose and Stay Cool

[ Edited by: T1K1 LEE 2007-07-16 22:37 ]

TB

This place is just about a mile north of me in Holiday Florida. I'm shure it was much "cooler" back in the days. I don't even think it's a Best Western anymore, but it's still there. The tikis have seen better days, but I heard it's been there sense the early 1960's.

Tiki Bill

At the end of a quiet cul de sac stands these gems:

I know the guy who owns/carved them. He's an eccentric, insanely talented artist. He says he doesn't want to carve tikis for commercial gain as it would be bad ju ju (for him). Too bad. He said he carves them with a chain saw and chisel. He's got 4 more in the back yard that are 4 to 8 foot in height, one holds two tiki torches in his hands. He did promise me when the mood strikes him he will carve a 6 foot palm section he's saved for me in exchange for setting up a web site for him. He's said that for two years now, I'm very patient. I have a spot picked out in my back yard, ready for it! Now if I could only tame the artistic mind to become logical for a few hours we'd be good to go!

I came across this snap shot that I took about nine years ago. This house was a block away from me. I always wanted to go ask where they found this guy, but I never had the nerve.

O

Hollywood beach, Oxnard shores.

I had always wondered what happened to Tom Swift. Turns out he is into Tiki.

Tom directed me to his neighbor with the Hollywood Tiki among others who invited me to take picture.

K

It was a beautiful morning, so I drove up the Windward side of Oahu to Laie.

Some of the Polynesian Cultural Center tikis, plus a tiki group in front of the Laie Inn.

T

Ahhhh...The PCC....Mecca.....Those tikis in the first Pic are G I A N T !!! I have a pic of me in front of them, somewhere.

Wow, how great to see a variety of Tiki styles done today. Mahalo.

K
Koolau posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 1:26 AM

More of the PCC tikis:

World's Largest Coco Joe's - even has a big lime green paper tag on the back!
(No it's not and no it doesn't, but I might sneak one up there one night).

LT

On 2008-05-04 23:57, Koolau wrote:

This looks similar to the dude that Gecko used for his scorpion bowls. Who is he?

K

LOL Tiki - Gecko based his scorpion bowl on a well known old Hawaiian serving bowl. I think I've seen it at the Bishop Museum or Iolani Palace, but I can't recall where, nor can I find a picture on line. The original is carved out of wood and is quite amazing; I like Gecko's too and bought one from him. That bowl absolutely freaks people out; many won't drink from it.

Here's another Oahu tiki - the Pali Longs tiki sign in Downtown Honolulu:

K
Koolau posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 1:28 AM

Here it is:

18th century Kou wood Kava Bowl, collected on a voyage of Captain Cook. From the British Museum, so this isn't the one I saw. Described as "a bowl being held by men", so I have to believe these figures don't represent gods.

Here's a couple of my 'locals'. About 100 yards from my workshop on a neighbouring property:

Carved by a Maori fella who used to own the property.

The most interesting thing for me is the fact he carved the 'Moais' which are almost never seen in New Zealand. Although I suspect these may have actually been modelled after similar head-dressed figures (often sylised into very simple form) that were carved atop very long posts, back in the days of the Maori fortified-village (Pa). *I call them 'the Moais' anyway..

There was also a proper Moai head that used to sit on the deck at the front of the house, welcoming cars on the main Highway as they enter our little historic village (Kumara!). I guess he took this one with him?

Tama :)

B

COOL!

B

There are some Great tikis here on these pages. Bring MORE, We Love it
HappyHappyHappy

On 2008-05-06 11:17, LOL Tiki wrote:

Who is he?

This original source piece was theorized to be from a Hawaiian type of carving classified as a support figure. They were used on a number of "practical" objects. According to Hawaiian sculpture by Cox, "As far as is known, these carvings were entirely secular, having no part in religious ceremony or ritual..." Also, "The support figures are informal, suggesting the buffon, the acrobat, or the playful imp. They exhibit neither noble bearing, pride, nor manisfestations of mana. Instead, they are eternally committed to humble work, which they do lightly and with a cooperative and playful spirit."
There is also a theoritical link between these figure types and the Menehunes of lore.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-05-10 21:36 ]

On 2008-05-10 21:33, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
"The support figures are informal, suggesting the buffon, the acrobat, or the playful imp. They exhibit neither noble bearing, pride, nor manisfestations of mana. Instead, they are eternally committed to humble work, which they do lightly and with a cooperative and playful spirit."
There is also a theoritical link between these figure types and the Menehunes of lore.

Thank you Buzzy for supplying the archaeological intel for those who do not have an Oceanic art book shelf. The above bowl can also be found in the Book of Tiki, and another classic support figure bowl is shown in Tiki Modern, respectively. They are some of the very few authentic artifacts depicted in my books.

It's odd that this thread has so many island native neighborhood examples, where are all the American urban archeologists? I guess in modern urban sprawls like L.A,. Tikis are mostly not in a neighborhood-like vicinity.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-10 23:27 ]

K

I did hesitate before posting public Hawaii tikis in this thread, as it did seem to be trending toward home or neo-tikis. I'll let the referees make the call - maybe I should post in a separate thread about Oahu tiki, as I hope to spend some time on La Mariana carvings.

No no, I think it's cool, being that there once were more Tikis in California than in Hawaii...I think people are taking "neighborhood" to literal, one could interpret it as "town", perhaps, to get more submissions.

T

I posted this under another thread but moved it here as I probably should have put it here in the first place! I am also having a problem with the size of the photos so I will try to fix it for this post.

The following is a little mission I went on a couple of years ago. I was told of a place where there were these carvings that looked like totem poles at a trailer park. Since the park was only 10 minutes from my house I went and checked them out. You can barely see the trailer park from the road as they have built one of those concrete fences in front of it that go along busy roadways to help with noise. Just one driveway in and one out.
At first I couldn't see anything that was worth looking at but the hunt was on! They were supposed to be at the front of the property and I was looking at the plant boxes and amongst the trees. Nothing yet.

The name of the Trailer park didn't really help with my spirits of finding something that I might like. Just another great Canadian name called the Crazy Beaver RV Park.......actually, sorry...wrong one!! It's called the Green Tree Estates and is located in Surrey, BC.

I saw this bright red/brown building which was basically an old log cabin which was now the properties large wreck building or entertaining hall. Hey...what's that on the building...

Hey...now that's not too bad of a job! They sure aren't based on local native carvings so I thought they were a pretty good attempt for up here anyway.

The above photo is the center door of the building which has a pole either side. Similar style to Witco I think. Probably a locals take on something they saw down South. Good size too as they are about 7' tall and about 18" wide.

The next photo is the end one on the left of the building. All 4 of the poles are pretty much the same with just slight variations in the carving. All have painted blue eyes and have the dark paint around the outside of their bodies.

I asked around and no one really knew anything about these cool poles. A couple said the place had been around since the early 1970's. I drove and crept around the private property looking for more but I didn't see anything. The watchful glare of the inhabitants made me not hang around for too long. Repeated calls to the land owner/manager have gone by with no call backs after leaving several messages. Makes for a few cool pictures but that's about it.

TabooDan

T

Hmm....Sorry, I can't get those pictures bigger. They're actually pretty cool pictures. I use Shutterfly (Online photo manager) to get them on here but they have changed their format and it looks like I can only get this size to come here.
I don't know anything about this stuff! Anybody help me out here with what to do??
Sorry for the lame post!! TabooDan

Here is a taco shop that has tikis in southern cal.

Tiki Stan.....

C
Chub posted on Fri, May 23, 2008 5:59 PM

In the Echo Park/Silverlake area of LA. Looks older to me. Maybe I should knock on the door and see if they want to let it go?

On 2007-07-02 10:36, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2007-07-01 06:38, Bohemiann wrote:

I dig this guy. He looks like me. He is very Viking. I wonder if Walt is Scandinavian.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-07-02 10:36 ]

Looks more Klingon than Scandinavian. :)

As you could imagine there are a few Tikis in my neighborhood. Here's a couple.

This happy guy is down at the beach facing the ocean.

T

Here's one at the Tropic Sands Apartments down the street from me in Alameda, CA. There's a wooden bridge style walkway at the entrance between two lava rock ponds / fountains, the tiki, and some nice nautical elements. It looks better at night and they need to pull out some of the reedy looking vegetation.

Cool find! A Tiki apartment building in Alameda...with lava rock wall! And most of it looks original, even the sign. Can you show a wide shot, even if it is less spectacular?

T
thejab posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2008 2:07 PM

Sven, I didn't get a shot of the whole building, but here's more of the lava rock chimney.

I almost moved into the Tropic Sands a few years ago but they only had one bedrooms facing the pool area.

If anyone wants to see more pics of my neighborhood including some googie-ish buildings and a somewhat Polynesian motel, here they are:

http://flickr.com/photos/thejab/sets/72057594066333153/

T

Here is my xmas Moai I carved with pink flamingos and lighted palmtree on my front yard for Christmas . Tiki Kinniki did the thinking on this one .Check out the 8 foot Santa hat she made .

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2008-12-01 17:05 ]

HOK

Some of the Polynesian Cultural Center tikis, plus a tiki group in front of the Laie Inn.

Some sad news on the Laie coast....

From this....

To this....

http://www.starbulletin.com/business/20091020_Aging_Laie_Inn_to_be_demolished.html

I inquired about the Tikis before they closed down...the receptionist took my number and said she would give it to the manager to follow up on...no lucky call back :( At least the sunsets and surf are still there....

Aloha, Freddie

HOK

Some sad news on the Laie coast....

From this....

To this....

http://www.starbulletin.com/business/20091020_Aging_Laie_Inn_to_be_demolished.html

I inquired about the Tikis before they closed down...the receptionist took my number and said she would give it to the manager to follow up on...no lucky call back :( At least the sunsets and surf are still there....

Aloha, Freddie

HOK

double post

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2009-11-16 02:31 ]

Man, that is such a shame. I love these low rise places and original features.

Pages: 1 2 78 replies