Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Seven Tiki Rum from Fiji via Australia

Pages: 1 34 replies

R

Hi there -
From a recent Havana Club posting I discovered the http://www.drinktrader.com website. Another article on there mentioned a new silver rum from Fiji called SEVEN TIKI RUM. The company producing it seems based in Australia, and naturally I figured folks here might be interested in this product:
http://www.seventiki.com/

Does anyone know if this is available in the US, or has anyone tried it? Would very much like to learn more about it. From the bottle art on the website it looks as though 6 of the tikis are hiding on the back - there appears to be only one tiki on the front!

Cheers,
Rupe

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 4:18 AM

I looked into sending some Aussie rum over to the states and ran into issues with sending alcohol at the US end. Look into the UPS guidelines is my suggestion if you cant find any suppliers over there

R

Those are cool ideas - I live in Maryland but work in Virginia... and the bitter irony is that neither state will let you ship booze in! BOO!

In any case, I'd be interested in hearing any reviews of SEVEN TIKI RUM - am very curious about it - what it tastes like, if there's another brand one would compare it to, etc.

Mahalo!
~Rupe

J

Hi guys, Seven Tiki is a New Zealand white rum made by 42 Below, who make vodka and also South gin. Its absolutely delicious and really really smooth. You should be able to get it soon as they have just been bought by Bacardi (as a long time Bacardi fan I can honestly say that Seven Tiki is better). Wait until you try it...

T

On 2006-09-29 22:09, jaynie wrote:
Hi guys, Seven Tiki is a New Zealand white rum made by 42 Below, who make vodka and also South gin. Its absolutely delicious and really really smooth. You should be able to get it soon as they have just been bought by Bacardi (as a long time Bacardi fan I can honestly say that Seven Tiki is better). Wait until you try it...

Hi Jaynie

Welcome to Tiki Central!

Are you in New Zealand? I'd be curious to know what kind of rum makes its way over there.

Just an update... There are no plans to bring Seven Tiki Rum to the States.

M

Hi all (long time reader, first time poster).

I'm Chief Bartender at a quaint Argentinian tango school cum Tiki Lounge in Melbourne, Australia. I've had the pleasure of trying Seven Tiki Rum on a couple of occasions (in fact I had a shot on Monday at a meeting of the Melbourne Rum Club). It's not a bad spirit, but it lacks a lot of the qualities that set White Rum apart. The flavour profile is quite different to a lot of rums I've tasted - it gives a lot of Cinnamon, and it should be nice to mix with... quite different. It is made in Fiji by the NZ company 42 Below (as noted above) and "Seven Tiki" is supposed to refer to an historical/mythological story of the spread of population in in the south Pacific. I'm not 100%, but I think it refers to the 7 Tiki statues that were on the 7 Canoes used to populate New Zealand? (probably wrong about that, but it's along those lines).

The Packaging is absolutely beautiful. It's got a lot of maori style design printed onto a clear bottle that has a shape reminiscent of Hendrick's gin, with a black stylised tiki on the front. The printing is red and black (and clear/white), some of the traditional colours used in Maori artwork. On the bottle is a map of the 7 islands that are significant to the name of the rum (fiji, NZ, and others... samoa I think).

The Seven Tiki stand at the Sydney Barshow was very cool - they'd done it up like a tiki bar. It really drew the eye. Tiki has started to gain momentum in Australia, and I'm very proud to be working in the best Tiki Bar in Melbourne! (237 Swan Street, Richmond).

I've ordered a case of 6 for my bar, we might find something nice to mix them with, but at the very least they'll look gorgeous on the bar.

The same company is also releasing/has released a rum called "Tahiti Dark" which is a dark style rum that is going to be introduced to tackle the dark rum drinking population of Australia (In the northern states there is a huge culture of Bundaberg Rum drinking - "Bundy and Coke"). The Tahiti Dark rum again has properties that I don't usually associate with Rum, but it was nice. It basically tastes like a christmas cake. One of the other guys at the rum club is anxious to make a winter drink with this rum - a hot espresso martini with a custard float - Sounds absoulutly wicked.

All in all, rum and Tiki in Australia is starting to look up!

H
Hajduk posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 2:25 AM

I just got a seven Tiki from duty free, so its cocktail trial time. I had a sample of it a few months ago while working (im a bartender).

Another bartender i know had some Tahiti Dark. its good, kinda like barcardi Black.

Yeh, 42 below was sold the other week to bacardi, i still think it will be made here. I guess it will have to be so it keeps its 100% NZ pure image/marketing.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 2:31 AM

Where've you been hiding Hajduk? Good to see another kiwi on the boards. I almost grabbed a bottle of that 7 Tiki a couple months back on my return form Rarotonga, I wish I had now.

H
Hajduk posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 8:45 PM

I went on a holiday, around new zealand, i went to a few places ill load the photos later on.

seven tiki

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sa500207ia7.jpg

[ Edited by: Hajduk 2006-10-08 20:56 ]

As you can see from my message count I'm new to Tiki Central but I thought I'd let you know that I emailed the Seven Tiki people and they said that while it is not available in Australia yet, they plan to get it distributed in the next few weeks. Can't wait!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 12, 2006 6:40 PM

Hey Green Rooster.. I lived in Adelaide for 14 years before I moved to NZ. I was just there again this past summer visiting family and will probably be over agin at the ned of next year...I can't imagine there's much of a tiki scene happening there?

No Paipo not much of a scene here at all. Although I've heard the old Producers Hotel has undergone a refit which has included designing a number of themed bars one of which is described as Hawaiian. Not sure what they mean but plan to check on the place soon.

I

Seven Tikis Rum will be availale this month within the UK.

*Initially to be sold in a number of Tiki and rum bars throughout the UK from this month, the company said that it will hold a tasting at Rumfest in London on 25 and 26 October.

The brand will run a test launch in a number of outlets with point-of-sale and cocktail menu placement to support activity.*

All you Brits and Europeans, keep your eyes open!

I

Found a few European commercials/film clips for Seven Tiki Rum ...

cool clips used here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREgUoIGMH0

tiki at the Coliseum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkbN5TZeOM4

Barcelona nightclub, and a flaming citrus ritual -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZvPD3H0_M

RG

I just saw Seven Tiki rum at the Rum Experience in London and can confirm some of the information in the previous posts. According to the brand representative in London, who was new to the brand and could have been recently hired for that show, Seven Tiki is a Fijian rum. But further inquiries revealed that it is actually made by the 42 Below distillery in New Zealand, which is owned by Bacardi, from molasses imported from Fiji. Australia has a long history of importing Fijian molasses for rum production. In many cases this rum was then blended with Australian rum prior to bottling.

My first impression was that this was a fairly young rum and lacking an age statement it seemed to owe some of its color to caramel coloring. Mixed in cocktails I didn't find anything objectionable but it did fall below the line of something I would want to drink straight.

Hopefully, there will be more information about this rum coming in the future, but at this point there seems to be little information about it other than there are no plans at this time to bring it to the US.

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it.

C

On 2008-10-28 06:48, Rum guy wrote:

Hopefully, there will be more information about this rum coming in the future, but at this point there seems to be little information about it other than there are no plans at this time to bring it to the US.

[ Edited by: Rum guy 2008-10-28 06:49 ]

Looks as though Seven Tiki is coming to the states soon. At Tiki Tom's tonight I was told that Bacardi will be doing a promo event there later this month for a tiki branded rum. Unfortunately, I will be up in Seattle at a union convention then, so I hope I can find somewhere up that way participating in the launch.

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 6:07 AM

Great news!
Looking forward to when it is available here!

I tried to get it when I was in Australia last month.
Nada in any Sydney liquor stores. The hotel concierge found some bars that had it on their shelves from the marketing push a couple years ago, learned about the Bacardi buyout, and called around to who had been the distributor for the Australia, but no-go for finding an unopened bottle for me to bring home.

But I did bring home some NICE Tasmanian rum called "Rum Island". White available now. Aged available soon (still sitting in the barrels....).

Sven Tiki Rum? Hey they never asked me if they could use my name! Wouldn't have OKed it for a WHITE rum! :D

S

Sorry to burst everyones bubble,but i asked one of my bartender friends the other day about what was going on with the Seven Tiki rum as i haven't seen it available yet myself,and was told that the reason Bacardi bought the rights to it,is so that they could stop production on it as they do not want another white rum competeing against their own brand.

Which makes sense, although that could be wrong. I first saw and sampled it, (bit of a strange taste), at least 18 months ago and it still hasn't made an appearance so who knows.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2014-01-29 20:23 ]

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 4:20 PM

On 2009-06-02 15:19, swizzle wrote:
the reason Bacardi bought the rights to it,is so that they could stop production on it as they do not want another white rum competeing against their own brand

This is what the concierge at my hotel heard as well when he was sleuthing for us.......
????

C

On 2009-06-02 15:19, swizzle wrote:
Sorry to burst everyones bubble,but i asked one of my bartender friends the other day about what was going on with the Seven Tiki rum as i haven't seen it available yet myself,and was told that the reason Bacardi bought the rights to it,is so that they could stop production on it as they do not want another white rum competeing against their own brand.

Maybe, but they have promoted it some since introducing it in the UK last October. Also, I don't think they really acquired Seven Tiki on purpose. They bought the company that makes it primarily to get their flagship brand [and the name of the company] 42 below.

C

On 2009-06-02 13:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sven Tiki Rum? Hey they never asked me if they could use my name! Wouldn't have OKed it for a WHITE rum! :D

How about a spiced rum. That's what Seven Tiki is bringing to the states. How their publicity wombats say it tastes: Fijian sugar cane with Polynesian fruit, coffee, and chocolate notes; nose has oak and vanilla notes [they claim it reminds one of a light creme caramel]. "Made" in Fiji [dunno if that means dsitilled or bottled there or what].

On June 15th at 7 p.m., there's a launch party at Tiki Tom's in Oakland. I'd be there but unfortunately I'll be out of town. I hope there's somewhere in Seattle doing something up there, but if not then I'll have to try it when I get back.

C

Got my hands on a bottle today. I'll be bringing it to a tailgate party tomorrow night, and trying it with a few foodies whose taste buds are more reliable than mine. If anyone has anything interesting to say, I'll post here.

I hear there maybe a Seven Tiki Tiki mug available soon?????

C

On 2009-06-24 01:03, cheekytiki wrote:
I hear there maybe a Seven Tiki Tiki mug available soon?????

That would be very coolacious. I'll be first in line to buy one if that comes to pass.

G

Happy to report that Seven Tiki rum is available in the Cannibal Lounge! (i.e., my home) Haven't cracked it open yet so can't vouch for its worthiness, but the bottle sure is purty. Was just surprised to find it on the shelves locally.

I had a double shot of it at Trader Vics last night.
not horrible, but not amazing.
too me it seems as though the rum is not a great rum, and the spices are hiding that.

C

Brought a bottle of 7tiki to a tailgate party last night, along with one of Sailor Jerry for comparison. It was a party, not a tasting, but I got most of the dozen or so imbibers to try both rums either neat or over ice, then with their choice of fresh squozen orange juice or Mexican sugary Coca-cola. The consensus: the new stuff [actually both were new to over half the sample group, who are are not rum or tropical drink aficionados despite being devoted semi-regulars at Forbidden Island], i.e. the 7tiki, was a tad lighter and sweeter than the SJ, but not so much as to turn off a couple of drinkers, including my wife, who hate those qualities in mixed drinks. Poll was about 2-1 in favor of 7T over SJ when neat or on the rocks; similar or slightly higher preference for 7T with the mixers. Regular drinkers of Myers&oj definitely went for the 7T with oj. Both rums had their partisans; both will have their place at Cottesloe Beach, the tiki bar in my backyard. The most important result of last night's event, however: the Giants beat the green and yellow pond scum 6-3.

Hi all,
Can you tell me where in Florida you can purchase Seven Tiki Rum? Been looking locally (Vero Beach), but the rum selections here are minimal. Thanks!

I found it at both Total Wine & Spirits and ABC Liquors

Z

I have a bottle (Walmart, Vegas) but never tried it. The ads are cool though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fly8rkjOArs

Since this thread was started, Seven Tiki can easily be found throughout Florida.

W

Got some at Grocery Outlet in California. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.... I actually really like it, great in mixed drinks. So with the price HALF of what you pay at Bevmo, it might be my new spiced go to rum!

AF

I think you can find Sven Tiki in Germany now. Sorry, I couldn't resist...:)

Pages: 1 34 replies