Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

kick_the_reverb & thejab in Seattle March17, Portland March 18-19

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

Hi fellow Pacific NW TC'ers
I'll be flying to Seattle on March 17th to see Satan's Pilgrims (and the Nebulas) play at the funhouse, then driving to Portland,OR on March 18th to see them play at the Doug Fir. Then flying out of Portland on monday morning. Havn't figured out accomodations yet, but I'm planning to rent a car, so I'll be mobile.
Meet-ups with fellow Seattle and Portland TC members would be fun. Also, the gigs I'm going to see are highly reccomended (I'll post in the music section), so if you have the chance, join me!
Feel free to reply, pm, e-mail to coordiante.

Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2006-03-15 11:07 ]

W

March 17th should be a good night to go out...I doubt there's anything big going on so soon after Mardi Gras.

Pig Iron BBQ is a pretty great lil joint in Gerorgetown (technically south Seattle, about 3 miles south of downtown) where there's one dollar beers on Friday nights and Shake the Shack on the radio. Fridays I like to hit it after work and the famous Miss Sweetpea has been seen there more than a few times on a Friday as well.

What I'm sayin' is: That could be somethin'.

S

I think pre show bbq and frosty malt beverages
fits on my calendar quite nicely.
Who else is up for it?
(Not tiki, but if ya have any love for red velvet cake,or sweet potato fries this is your place... just ask Woofmutt...)
Pea

[ Edited by: sweetpea 2006-02-27 13:52 ]

argh! we'll still be on vacation (in your hometown that week).. have a great time, Ran ~

elicia

Ran,
You know I'd go to If I had the $$$$.
At least the Ghastly Ones are plying here that weekend ha ha ha!!!
Have a good time. And Bug those guys into comin' down So. Cal. way.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

I just decided I'll be joining KTR on this trip! I've never even seen Satan's Pilgrims live but their records are great so I'm real excited!

We're staying at the Jupiter in Portland on Sat and Sun but we haven't booked a room for Seattle yet. Any hotel recommendations?

S

woohoo, one block away from Pig Iron BBQ! and a straight shot
to downtown where the show is...
http://www.seattlelahacienda.com/index.html
I think Mig stayed there once, check with him how it was. cool neon...
I heard this place is cool, and kinda hip, but I don't know anyone who has stayed there...
http://www.acehotel.com/index_accommo.html
Cheap and downtonw over a big ol theater where I saw X for the first time...
http://www.moorehotel.com/index.html
and the NiteLite bar is right on that street, and it's coooool!
http://www.3dhospitality.com/public_html/restaurants/paid_listings/nitelite/nitelite.htm

T

Since the Bellevue Trader Vic's will be open by then, I propose we meet there for cocktails on Friday evening. What time do they open? We should go early so we can make it to the show in time.

T

I just looked on their web site, Trader Vic's hours are 11AM to 2AM on Friday and Saturday, and until 1AM other days! How come they close so early in the Bay Area?

http://www.tradervics.com/rest-bellevue.html
http://www.tradervicsbellevue.com/

Happy Hours are Mon-Fri from 4-6 and Mon-Thurs 10-close and Sunday 4-close!

I suggest we meet there at 4:00 on Friday?

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-03-01 12:04 ]

M

On 2006-03-01 12:02, thejab wrote:
I just looked on their web site, Trader Vic's hours are 11AM to 2AM on Friday and Saturday, and until 1AM other days! How come they close so early in the Bay Area?

http://www.tradervics.com/rest-bellevue.html
http://www.tradervicsbellevue.com/

Not enough late business. SF used to be open until 12:30 or so, but it is quiet that late there.

T

Pea, thanks for the hotel links. I'll check 'em out. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Seattle again. I haven't been back up there in several years!

D

now i'm doubly saddened that we'll be out of town that weekend! miss seeing Ran, and Jab and a trip to TV! take lots of pics for us!

e

W

If you go to the Vic's the best time to head there would be 3-4ish PM and don't plan on headin' back until after 6:30 or so. The Seattle to East Side (where Hellevue is) commute is generally a slow movin' mess. The area where Vic's is has become a major night life magnet for...[opinion of peoples who go there deleted]. But yuh could get lucky...Again, I doubt many people will be going out on March 17th.

The Moore is one of the better downtown options for price and usual availability. It's an old hotel, not fancy but not far from the Funhouse. Short cab ride, not too long a walk.

S

Doubt I would make it to Smellevue on a Friday night after work.
Plus, already going the next weekend makes me not wanna do it two weekends in a row.
Any chance you guys could go during the day?

P

Great news, KTR & Jab ! Glad you'll both be up here in the Northwest for a quick visit. Selector Lopaka and I are up for meeting at Trader Vic's ! I'm not sure if we can get there by 4:00, but we'll do our best. Just sent you both a PM.

Cool, this is all shaping up pretty well. We'll summarize the schedule sooner to the actual date, I think.

Ran

T

On 2006-03-02 09:53, sweetpea wrote:
Doubt I would make it to Smellevue on a Friday night after work.
Plus, already going the next weekend makes me not wanna do it two weekends in a row.
Any chance you guys could go during the day?

It sounds like it will be a yuppie madhouse on Friday happy hour especially on St. Patty's, so I'm up for lunchtime drinks at Vic's instead if KTR is into it. Then perhaps we can hang out at the PigIronBBQ for a while before the show instead of fighting traffic from Bellevue back to Seattle. Dollar beers, good music, and BBQ sound great to me! Yeehaw!

On 2006-03-01 12:02, thejab wrote:
How come they close so early in the Bay Area?
[ Edited by: thejab 2006-03-01 12:04 ]

Well - we have more rain and not much else to do up here but Drink?

Look forward to seeing you boys in town seeing as Jab is missing the Crawl this year. Maybe we can do a pre-show get together at the "Bi". Pilgrims are one of the best Surf bands I have ever seen! I have played on many a shows with them - and they are a bunch of really swell fella's!

On 2006-03-02 11:26, thejab wrote:

It sounds like it will be a yuppie madhouse on Friday happy hour especially on St. Patty's, so I'm up for lunchtime drinks at Vic's instead if KTR is into it. Then perhaps we can hang out at the PigIronBBQ for a while before the show instead of fighting traffic from Bellevue back to Seattle. Dollar beers, good music, and BBQ sound great to me! Yeehaw!

Sounds good to me. I would hate to battle traffic. Lunch time at TV it is.
I'll try sniffing around to see if the Pilgrims and Nebulas plan to go to TV.
Ran

P

Sounds like a plan ! I think we might be able to go to Trader Vic's at lunchtime, too... and we're up for Pig Iron BBQ later.

Another interesting place you might enjoy (if you have time) while you're here is Andy's Diner, on Fourth Ave. S. Its an old school Seattle restaurant & bar, ( 7 vintage train cars joined together), open since 1949. Though I've only been there for drinks, I think steaks are their thing. You could always stop there for a drink either before or after the Pig Iron ( its only about a mile or two from there). Just a thought. I think they're open for breakfast and lunch, too.

Here's a review of Andy's from the Seattle P.I., from a few years ago:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/81864_eat09.shtml

And a few pics of the interior & exterior here :
http://www.washarp.org/diner.htm

T
thejab posted on Thu, Mar 2, 2006 3:03 PM

It's almost torturous spending just one day in Seattle after not getting up there for half a dozen years! I'll try and squueze as much as we can in.

W

Andy's is great! Surprisingly large drinks (which seem to taste watered down...But AIN'T!), the second best onion rings in Seattle, and a pretty dang good Reuben (if they were double decor they'd bump up against the Alibi's Royal Reuben). Nice staff, too. And of course the place is cooler than heck...Real train car dining! And it ain't all cutesy. Unfortunately their evening hours are about the same as Pig Iron. Still, a meet up at 6-esque and then up the road (not far, and on the way to downtown) to Andy's at 'round 8 wouldn't be a stretch. Course that much grease in the belly will impede any further imbibing later on...One of those pesky choices.

S

hmmm, they could share a bbq plate at Pig Iron first, or maybe just the sweet tater fries with slather, then eat at Andy's so as not to be so full they can't enjoy some drinkies at the show.
hmmmmmm
yes, I think it IS a tough decision.
And I think I'll be Pig Ironing tonight for a bit.
Pea

D

ha! a change in our plans.. we WILL be here for festivities!

W

That's great news Mrs. Bytes, why don't yuh plan everything out fer us.

Thanx!

D

On 2006-03-09 19:04, woofmutt wrote:
That's great news Mrs. Bytes, why don't yuh plan everything out fer us.

Thanx!

repeat after me "i am not in charge of anything"

hey KiTR.. remind me..when do you arrive?

On 2006-03-09 19:16, dogbytes wrote:

hey KiTR.. remind me..when do you arrive?

Dogbytes,
Friday, March 17
Arrive in SEATTLE TACOMA WA(SEA) at 10:45AM

Glad to hear that Cicely is in good hands.

I'm hpoing you and Todd are gonna join us for the gig? This time 2 great bands are playing - besides Satan's Pilgrims, the Nebulas from Boston are playing. These are some of the guys we met at the gig last time.

Let me know about any San Diego stuff you plan to do here together.
Ran

T

So when are folks at TV's on the 17th? Lunchtime or evening? I may be in town for a job interview that day/night and would love to check out this new Vic's.

If not dinner, can some Seattellite suggest some good dinner places near Bellevue/Redmond area?

Thanks!

T

On 2006-03-10 14:44, Tiki-bot wrote:
So when are folks at TV's on the 17th? Lunchtime or evening? I may be in town for a job interview that day/night and would love to check out this new Vic's.

If not dinner, can some Seattellite suggest some good dinner places near Bellevue/Redmond area?

Thanks!

We decided on lunch because:

1. It's St. Pat's day so it Vic's probably be packed after work that night.
  2. We don't want to fight traffic getting back to Seattle.
  3. I would like check out a couple of the other places in Seattle that were mentioned for dinner and/or drinks (Pig Iron, Andy's Diner).

count us in for lunch and goofing around with you guys.. but not for the concert (geez im feeling every bit of my 46 years!)

we're in san diego now, and filling up our shortened trip with family stuff..

good news is, we're in an awesome room at the Hanalei.. cant wait till Oasis!

S

just a push to the top to remind everyone
about these guys being in town!
Don't fergit to come and see em!
Pea

T

Who can make it to Trader Vic's Bellevue on Friday around noon? I was thinking we'll just drop in without a reservation and stay in the bar, but I don't know how crowded it will be. Methinks they probably are packed in the restaurant for lunch since it's probably a popular place for business lunches. If I have an idea of who can make it I will call the restaurant.

Can't wait to SEEattle again! Even if it's way too brief a visit.

todd & i will be there!

what time do you guys get in?

T

I get in before KTR, and he gets in at 10:45, so we should be getting to Vic's around noon. I have directions from airport to Vic's - it's about 23 miles.

D

do you have/need a ride? our house is only 18 minutes from the airport

We're renting a car, but thanks a lot for the offer.
See you there,
Ran

T

The weather forecast is for NO RAIN! Well, maybe a bit on Friday but it's supposed to be sunny this weekend. :)

I spent several days of January in Seattle a few years ago and it didn't rain. I also went there in 1990 and it didn't rain. I've been to Portland in the winter and it didn't rain, although it rained the first night of the NW Tiki Crawl last June (?).

Lucky, or what?

Not that I mind rain, I even like it sometimes (like in Hawaii or Florida). We've had a lot of rain this month here.

P

Both Selector Lopaka and I are hoping to join you at Trader Vic's on Friday, though we're not yet sure what the day will bring for either one of us work-wise ( I'll know tomorrow, Lopaka will know on Friday morning). So we might have to play it by ear... we'll do our best, though ! We're definitely in for pre-show festivities. And breakfast on Saturday, if you have time.

P

Looks like I will be able to meet at Trader Vics tomorrow, see everyone around noon !

T

I called Trader Vic's and they said they don't take reservations for the lounge, so we'll head straight there from the airport and try to snag a table. See you tomorrow!

T

I called Trader Vic's and they said they don't take reservations for the lounge, so we'll head straight there from the airport and try to snag a table. See you tomorrow!

D

Welcome to the Jet City! The Jab and Kick in the Reverb meet us at the Bellevue Trader Vics for lunch!

The Jab, Selector Lopaka, Kick in the Reverb, Puamana, Mr Dogbytes, dogbytes

KiTR listens to his entree.

Selector Lopaka and Puamana enjoy tasty beverages.

Puamana puts a Crabcake Hat on a salt shaker.

what dogbytes' post would be complete without a close up picture of food? Steak Sandwich. yum.

S

hey Lady, how do you get those pix up so dang fast!???
I'll see you kids at Pig Iron sooon, not sure when you are getting there, but I'll try to be there by 6.
Hope that's coolio, anyone know the plans?
Pea

D

hey Sweetpea! we'll be at pig iron.. oh i dunno when.. i'm thinking maybe 6:30 ish. mm yam fries. i wish we could have kidnapped you for lunch! i would have made you drink one or two of these..

Son of Doctor Funk

ooh forgot to take pix of the chocolate-dipped fortune cookies.. those were amazing.

cya in a few hours.

P

Oooh, I forgot about the chocolate dipped fortune cookies !! Those are good. Great pics, dogbytes, thanks for posting ! I wish S.L. & I didn't have to go so soon after lunch ( darn work). Looking forward to Pig Iron tonight ! see everyone there.

S

ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I totally coulda used one or two of those today.

well, I might have the sweet tea mojito at Pig Iron, it's tasty!
here's their drinkie-poohs

Pig Iron Rita
(Sauza, Triple Sec, House Sour and Fresh Lime). . . . . . 6.00
Red Devil
(Vodka, Red Bull, Float of Grenadine) . . . . . . . . . . 6.00
Pig Iron Hard Fountain Soda
(Vanilla Vodka, Choice of Soda, Floater of Cream) . . . . 6.00
Sweet Tea Mojito
(Bacardi Rum, Sweet Tea, Fresh Mint and Lime) . . . . . . 6.00
Pig Iron Homemade Bloody Mary
(Vodka, House Mary Mix and Pickled Goodies) . . . . . . . 6.00

Pea

One more week to a Trader Vic's Mai Tai (and various other fine libations)!!! :P

Kick in The Reverb confidently places his order with the waitress at Pig Iron.

Meanwhile, The Jab uses his occular superpowers to see what the table in the next room is having

Miss Sweetpea shows off her Swig dance moves with her Mojito.

Puamana's Pulled Pork Sammich & dogbytes' 3-way combo plate (ack, food touching!)

red velvet cake, big enough to share

The effects of Dollar Oly Night...

Pages: 1 2 58 replies