Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

Got this from Chris Nichols, LA modcom chair, who got it from Lotta Livin':

"Yes, it's true. The Beverly Hilton is developing plans to demolish Trader Vic's in order to build a hotel tower in its place. How can we stop this?"

...but WAIT! Let's not jump the gun! Here is the reply of another modcomer:

" Issue came up at a meeting is early January in the context of the overall plans for demo of the Robinson's May for housing adjacent to the Beverly Hilton. Consensus among the (small) group was that hotel itself was not a fight to undertake, BUT that TV was important. Plans - at least to my knowledge - are conceptual stage at this point, and involve the OTHER (west) end of the site, replacing Robinson's May....the hotel (and presumably with it, the hardest part of the site to use, which is where Trader Vic's is) would more or less be left alone. That said, I've heard nothing (which means nothing, of course...) about the status of the USE of TV."

I myself was aware of a situation over a year ago, when the hotel changed hands and the new owner wanted to oust T.V.'s, but was persuaded away from it by the T.V./S.F. management. It might just be that the rumor of that old situation mixed with these new plans...or not.

I thought the property was to be a "green" design, which would suggest the housing units would be interior, inside of a green belt, which hopefully would allow TV to remain on the perimeter. However, Merv Griffin, the owner is a developer.

Same issue which threatens the Derby in Los Feliz.

H

As I posted on Humu Kon Tiki a couple days ago, we got an emailed tip from someone who wished to remain anonymous, because they are connected to one of the organizations involved in the project. His information is in sync with Chris' (maybe he got the same tip?), very specifically that plans call for the side of the property that holds the Trader Vic's to be demolished to make way for a tower. I don't know any more than that, and I don't know how much stock I put in it. I too have heard rumors about remodels & closings for BH TV for a while now, and have mostly dismissed them, but I'm starting to take them more seriously especially in light of the recent loss of Chicago.

someone will have to dig up the Hollywood Elite Tikiphilles and make em fight for it.....

LA Observed - Los Angeles Media, News and a Sense of Place

Thursday, March 30 2006

No, not Trader Vic's

Beny Alagem, who paid $130 million for the Welton Becket-designed Beverly Hilton two years ago, wants to tear down Trader Vic’s restaurant at the intersection of Wilshire and Santa Monica boulevards, the hotel's executive conference center, the Oasis Court and the hotel’s 514-space parking garage. Andy Fixmer obtained a report on Algaem's plans and posted a story on the Los Angeles Business Journal website late Wednesday. It's all in the name of building more luxury condo towers in Beverly Hills.

On those sites Alagem would build two 13-story buildings containing 96 condominiums, a 104-unit, 15-story condo hotel and 96 hotel rooms in two 3-story structures. The hotel’s parking would be put underground and increased to 1,422 spaces, to meet Beverly Hills’ codes.
The existing hotel, recently remodeled, would remain. The Beverly Hilton's 1950s modern styling, with lanais on the rooms overlooking the pool, has its fans. The hotel was for a time the L.A. flagship of the Hilton chain and served as the Western White House for President John Kennedy. But Trader Vic's— that place would be missed by lots of people.

• Link • Email this post • Tell the editor what you think

http://www.laobserved.com

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki 2006-03-30 11:47 ]

From the March 29 Los Angeles Business Journal, http://www.labusinessjournal.com/article.asp?aID=1323838.38284502.1284881.6349777.8556681.468&page=1 (the site requires free registration but here's the article):

Residences Planned for Beverly Hilton

By ANDY FIXMER

Los Angeles Business Journal Staff

The owner of the Beverly Hilton is planning to bulldoze parts the famed hotel to make way for luxury residences, according to a report obtained by the Business Journal.

Packard Bell co-founder Beny Alagem, who paid $130 million for the 569-room hotel two years ago from entertainment mogul Merv Griffin, wants to knock-down Trader Vic’s Restaurant and Bar, the executive conference center, the Oasis Court and the hotel’s 514-space parking garage.

On those sites Alagem would build two 13-story buildings containing 96 condominiums, a 104-unit, 15-story condo hotel and 96 hotel rooms in two 3-story structures. The hotel’s parking would be put underground and increased to 1,422 spaces, to meet Beverly Hills’ codes.

A price tag for the project – which also includes a remodeled pool and traffic improvements – wasn’t included in the report, but sources said the final cost could be in the $200 million range.

The hotel, and its ballroom in particular, has gained international prominence as the home of the Golden Globe Awards and other entertainment industry events.

Though the main 353-room, 8-story tower designed by noted architect Welton Beckett would remain, the plans would result in a net reduction of 96 hotel rooms.

Alagem’s investment firm, Oasis West Realty LLC, is expected to announce its plans at a joint meeting of Beverly Hills’ planning commission and city council on Tuesday afternoon.

Sources involved in the project provided the Business Journal with a copy of a master plan that Oasis West Realty distributed to city officials this month.

Oasis West Realty declined to elaborate on specifics of its plans until its Tuesday meeting. Hilton Hotels Corp. executives didn’t return calls seeking comment.

Bruce Baltin, a senior vice president at PKF Consulting, said the firm is working on the Beverly Hilton redevelopment plans, but he declined to comment on specifics.

“As projects go, this makes all the sense in the world,” he said. “It keeps the best elements of the hotel and replaces those elements that no longer work.”

Hotel owners across the country are considering similar projects that subtract rooms and add residences, said hospitality attorney Jim Butler, a partner at Jeffer Mangels Butler & Marmaro LLP.

“This has become a major national trend for any full-service property,” he said. “There are a lot of people who want to live in condos that have the amenities and security of a hotel. For that reason, most (hotel owners) are considering a residential component to increase the economics of the property.”

The massive redevelopment plan for the Beverly Hilton’s 9-acre property comes on the heels of an $80 million renovation of the hotel that Oasis West Realty recently completed. The project is not expected to compromise that work.

As Oasis West Realty was finishing the renovations, the firm announced in December that it hired New York-based architecture firm Gwathmey Siegel & Associates LLC to design residential additions to the hotel.

Wow, I didn't see the intitial discussion on this and didn't find it in my search. But it doesn't look promising. I really hope they keep it. We've spent two annivesaries there in recent years.

Here's some more:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2006/03/no_not_trader_vics.html

YIKES! Get down to TV's while you can, Angelenos...

I'm glad I at least got to see it and pop in for a minute last year. I've never seen extensive pictures inside, though. I was politely stopped after a couple shots when I tried. One of the clientele was nervous about a camera being present and wouldn't you know, they were seated right by a nice tiki. One of you locals might want to arrange to document the place in detail...perhaps a call ahead to the manager might yield an arrangement to come in and photograph during a slow time?

Can you say RAT BASTARDS???

Jeff(bigtikidude)

F*CK Beny Alagem.

Actually, I've never been to any of the Trader Vic's places. I have to visit this one, apparently!

Defenatly need to have a farewell night

On 2006-03-30 22:51, tikiyaki wrote:
F*CK Beny Alagem.

He didn't make enough $$$ in the military-industrial complex. Now he has ruin BH tiki as well?

Anybody know if ELF would be up for some demolition in BH - take out the parking lot as a warning not to mess w. Trader Vics?

Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?

Would be cool if they decorated some of the new rooms ala TVic Style...

We should do a Trader Vic's Cross Country Bar Crawl.
I'll buy a ticket!

H

:( :( :( :( Ben the bartender has been there since 1974. It's my hangout.....

Well! I just got back from Trader Vic's. I finally saw it! But I honestly don't remember too much after the sitting down part. I ordered some drinks, and for some curious reason the rest of the evening is sort of blank. Hmmmmmm.

Details are coming back now. Decor was gorgeous, nice quiet ambience, extremely relaxing place to dine. My friend and I noticed that the two waiters who served us seemed to have been working at the place for decades, and they were a nice aspect of the experience. Yes, we could feel the years in the place. If they do, um, get rid of it soon, I will be sad about it.

I have read some less-than-flattering reviews of the food, but what I ordered was fairly amazing.

I had two Mai-Tais, by the way. When drinking, I very seldom have ordered more than one mixed drink, never been too serious about drinking; but the Mai-Tai was delicious, and two of them eventually had me considerably flattened!

[ Edited by: procinema29 2006-04-03 14:23 ]

B

Was at Vic's on Saturday afternoon/evening and I noticed that they were giving away pieces already...not to me, but there were some good claims out already. Lots of menus under arms. Someone was making plans to take the big canoe!! So sad.

[ Edited by: BettyBleu 2006-04-03 17:30 ]

Damn, whats the deal, if you wanna ransac( sp?) the place, you can just grap a souviner, and walk out with it??

so when are we gonna have a TC night before it's gone?
It's been awhile since I've been there.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pictures...pictures...pictures! For the sake of history, someone please be a tiki documentation hero and get some interior shots before more of the place walks away, piece by piece. All I got was this:

On 2006-04-03 21:05, tikijackalope wrote:
Pictures...pictures...pictures! For the sake of history, someone please be a tiki documentation hero and get some interior shots before more of the place walks away, piece by piece.

This shutting-down wrapping-up process seems to be happening even more quickly than I was thinking it would. Sounds like even if I get a chance to go back there in a few days, it'll be a different place, missing many pieces.

Oh, my.

D

Is that true?! Are they really moving it out piece by piece and tearing down the current structure?

We are heading state side next week for Viva - and wanted to check out the Trader Vics in Beverly the following week - will it still be worth checking out?

Well, it seems to me that if they are giving away their menus, and making arrangements for people to cart away the various decorative objects, then the closing of the doors may come quite soon--within days, perhaps? That's what I think will probably happen...first the restaurant will cease to operate, and become cold and quiet for a week or two, while arrangements are made to bring in a crew to raze it.

If the restaurant were planning to continue operating even a short while longer than that, I don't imagine they'd be letting stuff walk out the door.

I got two little plastic drink spears with the little menehune guy. I didn't think to ask for a menu, wonder if I can get one still. If anyone is in the area and has a chance to get out there, it looks to me like now might be the time.

I could be being totally wrong and overcautious here!, but, I have found in the past that restaurants that I really like I usually become aware of shortly before they close. It has happened too many times before. I find a place, it's really amazing, and then I drive down to share the place with a friend, only to find the doors have been closed. So if I sound a little anxious, it's only because I am trying to err on the side of caution here.

[ Edited by: procinema29 2006-04-04 17:02 ]

M

On 2006-04-04 16:07, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
We are heading state side next week for Viva - and wanted to check out the Trader Vics in Beverly the following week - will it still be worth checking out?

I don't think it will be gutted by then.
Check out these links for Vegas and LA travel info;
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16026&forum=16 vegas

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16476&forum=16&22 Los Angeles

ALSO, PM me if you want to do the Vegas Neon boneyard your on Viva Saturday 4/15 at 1pm.

Now, back to the actual topic....

I am sure this makes many people very sad. It definitely makes me sad. It really is a beautiful place inside.

Based on this article in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hilton1apr01,1,5626877.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

...It appears that Benny Alagem has indeed presented his nefarious plans, but has yet to obtain approval from the Beverly Hills planning commission (including a deviation from current height restrictions).

I'm no expert on the planning and building code process for 90210, but my expectation is that there is going to be a liberal amount of time-consuming bureaucracy involved.

The article also states that, if approved, it would be three years before building begins.

Granted, they are probably wouldn't need any approvals to start shutting down and dismantling the Trader Vics... but it seems a little odd since it appears that it will be a while before they can replace it with another revenue-generating property.

It's obvious that Trader Vics at the Beverly Hilton is doomed, but it seems strange/unlikely that that they would be immediately moving to shut it down.

...maybe I'm just being optimistic since I won't be able to get over there until May 18th...

-Michigan Rummy

D

Any word on whether or not they are going to reopen in LA? It seems that TV's is undergoing a resurgence - opening new locations and all. It would be a shame to leave a city like LA without a Vic's.

More pictures of Trader Vics BH, courtesy of Critiki:

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=15

H

The Los Angeles Modcom group held an emergency meeting last night; they are working feverishly to put together plans to stop this. They'd love to have help. They're working on setting up a Yahoo! email account for the effort; until they have that set up, you can contact Chris Nichols if you already know him and have his contact info, or PM me and I'll give you his email address (I don't want to post it online). Hopefully they'll have a Yahoo! account by later today.

T

I find these reports of people walking out with the decor to be curious.

Sure, the glassware and menus will vanish, but historically all of the Tikis and substantial items have been reclaimed and stored by the Trader Vic's people, to be used in future restaurant openings.

From their earliest 1970s closures right up to the closing of Chicago a few months ago, they've always kept the good stuff to reuse.

How successful are preservation efforts in LA in a case like this in which the owner wants to destroy/alter the property? It doesn't have the same sympathy factor as a case involving a city seizing a property by eminent domain evokes.

What about an appeal to those vintage celebrities who are always being seen at TVs? If you end up trying to lead a customer-based campaign targeted at the hotel, they have name, voice and face recognition which might rally lesser-known people to write letters and emails.

Also, are there any local ordinances or hot-button issues in Beverly Hills that can be utilized to discourage such a construction project (aside from the height issue)? Traffic along Santa Monica affected by the construction, water-usage issues...anything like that?

Good luck!

http://www.thelope.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: tikijackalope 2006-04-06 20:11 ]

On 2006-04-05 08:32, Digitiki wrote:
Any word on whether or not they are going to reopen in LA? It seems that TV's is undergoing a resurgence - opening new locations and all. It would be a shame to leave a city like LA without a Vic's.

How many years has it been now since we had a football team in LA???? I don't think I could wait that long for the next Kamaaina!!!

On 2006-04-05 15:46, tikijackalope wrote:
How successful are preservation efforts in LA in a case like this in which the owner wants to destroy/alter the property? It doesn't have the same sympathy factor as a case involving a city seizing a property by imminent domain evokes.

The Derby in Los Feliz has presented a very similar issue. This is the status, according to the Los Angeles Conservancy: http://www.laconservancy.org/issues/issues_list.php4#feliz

As covered in other posts, Trader Vic's is the oldest tiki bar on Route 66 and is the only one of any appreciable age. The 66 connection might ramp up the appeal for preservation. There is a California Historic Route 66 Association, http://www.wemweb.com/chr66a/ , but I don't know how politically active they are.

Of tangential interest is the controversy over Rod's Grill in Arcadia.

Last I knew, Rod's was endangered by the city of Arcadia which has already filed eminent domain against one of its neighbors in an effort to allow for expansion of a Mercedes dealership: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=132849 and http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_3591421
There have been some protests, but I don't know the current state of their effectiveness.

Today's Los Angeles Times Calendar Section has an article titled: "Tiki Tacky? Not to fans of Trader Vic's" on page 1 and continued on page E 22. It tells all about a developer's plan to say bye-bye to the home of the mai tai :(

Here's a link for the above mentioned "Tiki tacky? Not to fans of Trader Vic's" article:

http://www.calendarlive.com/nightlife/cl-et-vics7apr07,0,2536244.story?coll=cl-nightlife-top-right

-MR

P

Want to keep Trader Vic’s from the developer’s ball?
Here’s what to do:

Email, call & write the LA Conservancy & ask them to declare Trader Vic’s a historical site. Go to the Beverly Hills planning boards meetings & let them know that letting a developer destroy a landmark is unacceptable.

Write/email Hilton corporate headquarters & let them know that many view this as a historic landmark & it would be better to revamp the restaurant to draw in the very large Tiki community. How about a floor show to go w/the new look? Dinner, dancing & a show anyone? Wouldn’t it be great to see Royal Crown Revue, Brian Setzer & other swing acts there? How about a new food menu designed by a celebrity chef? Have a menu w/a large price range. Not to mention the drinks!

Remember, the Hilton & developers are looking at this from a money standpoint. You have to make them see it will bring in money if they take the time to revamp the whole thing the right way rather than destroy everything. Point out new restaurant openings here in Los Angeles & other places. Let them know they are neglecting a whole community looking for places to go. Let them know about ebay auctions, Tiki mug collectors, etc. Point out the brand new Trader Vic’s Tiki Party Book which is selling great. The Tiki Oasis conventions, all the web sites devoted to Tiki culture, revamped hotels, anything you can thing of that would show them how important places like this are to the community as a whole.

People to contact:
Los Angeles Conservancy:
Ken Bernstein Director of preservation issues
Linda Dishman Conservancy’s executive director
Adriene Biondo, chairwoman of the conservancy's Modern Committee

Marie Garvey spokesperson for Oasis West Realty, Alagem's firm

Make sure to keep to the point in a polite, professional manner.
Come up w/solutions rather than just criticisms. People respond better that way.
Good Luck to us all!

T

On 2006-04-07 13:07, piwackit wrote:
Want to keep Trader Vic’s from the developer’s ball?
Here’s what to do:

Email, call & write the LA Conservancy & ask them to declare Trader Vic’s a historical site. Go to the Beverly Hills planning boards meetings & let them know that letting a developer destroy a landmark is unacceptable.

Write/email Hilton corporate headquarters & let them know that many view this as a historic landmark & it would be better to revamp the restaurant to draw in the very large Tiki community. How about a floor show to go w/the new look? Dinner, dancing & a show anyone? Wouldn’t it be great to see Royal Crown Revue, Brian Setzer & other swing acts there? How about a new food menu designed by a celebrity chef? Have a menu w/a large price range. Not to mention the drinks!

Remember, the Hilton & developers are looking at this from a money standpoint. You have to make them see it will bring in money if they take the time to revamp the whole thing the right way rather than destroy everything. Point out new restaurant openings here in Los Angeles & other places. Let them know they are neglecting a whole community looking for places to go. Let them know about ebay auctions, Tiki mug collectors, etc. Point out the brand new Trader Vic’s Tiki Party Book which is selling great. The Tiki Oasis conventions, all the web sites devoted to Tiki culture, revamped hotels, anything you can thing of that would show them how important places like this are to the community as a whole.

People to contact:
Los Angeles Conservancy:
Ken Bernstein Director of preservation issues
Linda Dishman Conservancy’s executive director
Adriene Biondo, chairwoman of the conservancy's Modern Committee

Marie Garvey spokesperson for Oasis West Realty, Alagem's firm

Make sure to keep to the point in a polite, professional manner.
Come up w/solutions rather than just criticisms. People respond better that way.
Good Luck to us all!

Do you have contact inof for these people ?

H

The Los Angeles Conservancy and Mod Com are the same thing (Mod Com is short for the Los Angeles Conservancy's Modern Committee). Mod Com is looking for volunteers to join their effort and help give it as much traction as possible. As Mod Com chairwoman Adrienne Biondo said to the Los Angeles Times, "It’s not an issue that’s going to go away."

If you'd like to help out, send an email to [email protected] .

If you are interested in the preservation efforts for Trader Vics Beverly Hills, please join our discussion and the "Save Trader Vics" team at the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee's Message Board at Lotta Living
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5513

T

Well, I will be working to help save TV Bev Hills. I just went there tonite for drinks with some tiki loving friends - and the place was bustling. The food could be improved...but I think that the new owner just wants to level it. We had a 30 min wait to get a table. And we were some of the only people that were there for the tiki-osity. There is plenty of room to add on condos without leveling Trader Vic's. The owner just wants what he wants.

So we need to make that really difficult for him. Bad press is what it is all about.

Our hope is Hollywood. We need some movers and shakers to weigh in, and for the Hilton to not get bookings related to the film industry. Otherwise it will face the fate of the Ambassador Hotel.

It looks like there's a few different avenues a person can take to help preserve this place. I think the objective is worth the effort--actually EXPERIENCING the place last week was an inspiration to me! I'm gonna jump in and do what I can!

Actually he told us on Sat. that he'd been there since 71.
I said Damn Ben that's when I was born. That guys a monster.
I had been there awhile back( 5 or 6 years). I don't know what I had, but wasn't impressed. On Sat. My buddy Baja Marty, and Ran(Kick the Reverb) went there right at opening before it got too busy, and Before are trip up to Burbank tosee Nokie Edwards(of the Ventures).
I got a Zombie( of course) Ran Got a Navy Grog(old style) recomended by Judd.
and Marty got a Mai Tai. All were great. Ran was driving so he said no more. Marty and I shared a Navy Grog after being blown away by a taste of Ran's. Then I wnet to the bathroom almost fell down(joking of course). And had the bright Idea to get a big 4 person drink. So I ordered a Rum Keg. Very Fruity, but still had a good kick to it. I twisted Ran's arm just a bit to try some. He did, but just a bit.
Then Marty and I shared the rest of the 4 person drink. Can you say God Damn!!!!?
I wasn't fall down drunk, but that was a very nice buzz. and early enough in the evening, that I didn't have a hangover the next morning.
We didn't eat there, cept for the spicy snack mix at the bar.But I want to.
How goes the average dinner menu there, price wise?
I was very very impressed this trip to Traitor Vics, and if it's going to be history, that is truely a crime.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-03-31 20:21, hiltiki wrote:
:( :( :( :( Ben the bartender has been there since 1974. It's my hangout.....

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-04-10 15:21 ]

[i]Last I knew, Rod's was endangered by the city of Arcadia which has already filed eminent domain against one of its neighbors in an effort to allow for expansion of a Mercedes dealership: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=132849 and http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_3591421
There have been some protests, but I don't know the current state of their effectiveness.

One needs to see if the city of Beverly Hills has any protections for historic structures and if we can even get it nominated as historic in that city. If not, the next best thing (as someone here has already suggested) is a media campaign involving some celebs to step up, and perhaps the LA Conservancy offering them an alternative condo development plan for the site that includes saving the Trader Vics. I am sure all of these aspects have already been thought of as I am a little late to this one. I assume the LA Conservancy is also on top of this, so let me thank you all for allowing me to waste some more TC webspace!

-Merging pirate and tiki cultures-

[ Edited by: Hanalei_Pirate 2006-04-12 12:42 ]

[ Edited by: Hanalei_Pirate 2006-04-12 12:43 ]

D

OK I went saturday and I could find no sign of artifacts leaving tucked under collectors' arms. I sure would love to get one of those brown moai tiki bowls...but they were hoppin. Does anyone have a contact at TV headquarters who can get it straight from the horses mouth. I mean, it would seem to me that Hilton could build the tower and either leave Vic's on the first floor or re-open the same spot in the new building to Vic's.

Pages: 1 2 77 replies