Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

J

Greetings fellow New Englanders! Are you interested in meeting up with other tiki freaks like yourselves? Want to visit some of New England's remaining tiki establishments? Then lets do it!

pappythesailor and Bargoyle are already up to meeting at the Kowloon (Saugus, MA) - possibly as soon as next weekend. I may be able to do next weekend but don't let me stop you from going if I can't make it. Its all dependent on the sitter situation and we already managed to con our parents into taking the kids this weekend (2 weekends in a row? LOL). Enough of my whiny parent talk...

Here's the deal. If your interested in meeting up with a group of folks who love tiki just reply to this topic. In your reply feel free to share any ideas you have for the group, like:

• Where do we go? Kowloon is given but how about some other places? Haven't been there, but Ho Kong in Woonsocket , RI is supposedly somewhat tikified.

• How should we communicate? Make a NE Tiki Yahoo group or something? Through TC?

• And anything else you can think of.

Aloha from Little Rhody!
JohnMan

Kowloon sounds good. And right here is as good a place to communicate as any. Well, we got RI, CT and MA covered. Hmmm... you'd think it would be easier to find tiki around here with the whole state to myself.

T

I'd be up for meeting at the Hukilau in Chicopee, MA if there's ever an event there.

While I couldn't make every get-together, I could do some.
We got nothing up this way in Portland.

Doing a yahoo group might make sense.

--SBiM

My social co-ordinator tells me the 24th and 25th are tied up too. Go on without me....

P.S. Hu Ke Lau Chicopee!!!! Polynesian Percussion show--are you kidding? Yeah!

Ya know what. I no longer have an excuse. I am up for a Hu Ke Lau. Count me in.

T

Yeah, definitely the Hu Ke Lau! It has a lot going for it, somewhat central location, Polynesian Revue, and a number of cool tikis. One problem with the Revue though, is it's only on Friday night, so some might not be able to make it in time. Plus, they started charging a $2 cover (which is no big deal).

Still works for me!

Wait. We can't go until we get somebody from New Hampshire...

T

My Mom's from New Hampshire. She can't make it, but if I bring a picture of her, will that count?

J

Yeah, a picture will surely count tikigreg.

The Hu Ke Lau looks very cool (just checked out their site). I'd be up for a trip there. The Polynesian Drum show sounds awesome.

This weekend is out for me as is the next. 9/30 and 10/1 can be arranged though.

J

On 2005-09-15 02:58, pappythesailor wrote:
Kowloon sounds good. And right here is as good a place to communicate as any. ...

pappy - I hear, TC is fine for us.

I'm here and I'm in NH!!!

I'd love to take part in a New England Tiki outing. Have been waiting for some thread like this to pop up!

Funny enough, coming from a gig tonight I stopped off at Bali Hai on 128 in MA for a Mai Tai tonight!

I think I'm busy the next couple of weekends with weddings and other gigs, but eventually, if we keep communicating like this, I'll make a get together.

Let's keep using this thread rather than go somewhere else.

Even if someone is just about to leave the house some night for one of our few remaining destinations on a whim, post it, and maybe we'll get more of a community happening up here!

Q

Hi all

How are the drinks at the Hu Ke Lau? On a scale of 1 - 10. 10 being the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale. Authentic Don the Beachcomber or Trader Vic recipes? Fresh lime and grapefruit juice? Secondary... how is the food? I'm from central ME so it's a ride for me but I have a sister that lives only an hour away... Maybe a combined visit.

Anyone here going to Hukilau?

Maloha

T

Hi Quincy,

Unfortunately, the drinks at the Hu Ke Lau leave much to be desired, in general. Don't bother with the mai tai, it's the worst. Other tropical drinks are a bit better. Food is standard Chinese cuisine, although the pupu platter is pretty good.

The Polynesian Revue is the main draw at Hu Ke Lau.

And yes, I will be going to Hukilau in FLA!

B

Im with tikigreg there...drinks at the Huke in Chicopee arent too great, but the bar area (and the murals in the stage area) are worth the trip alone.

This weedend's good, or next, but I'm only open for next friday (revue show!!) as my sis has her 30th bday that weekend. Hu Ke Lau, Kowloon, Bali Hai...I'm up for any of them! There used to also be a Hu Ke Lau in Longmeadow, Mass, but I think they ripped out all the decor. My mom lives in the next town over, I'll do a scouting trip next time I'm there.

Too bad the Kahiki Moon in Vermont closed down. Really wanted to get there, and now we've got the ball moving!! Oh well, lets not let another one slip away!! Hope to see you all soon!
Sully (the bargoyle)

(I should use spellcheck function, keep editing typos here!)
[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2005-09-16 13:16 ]

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2005-09-16 13:18 ]

This weekend won't work for me. But eventually...

--SBiM

B

How's next weekend for everyone? I was thinking the Hu Ke Lau Drums of Polynesia show. Show time is 7.15, and seating is at 5.30, 6.00, and 6.30.

I can leave work a little early but I couldnt get there until around 6.00ish

How's that sound to everyone? Gather at the bar...have cocktails, and do a 6.30 seating?

Those of you who have to travel, can you jet early on a friday and get to chicopee by 6 or so?

If it doesnt work for everyone, we can always do a kowloon saturday afternoon.

For those who need directions or more info http://www.hukelau.com/

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2005-09-16 14:24 ]

T

I could probably make it next Friday. If we get enough peeps together, I'll make an effort to bail early from work to be up there in time.

OK, who else? You know you want to!

Bridget and I are in for 6:30 Friday 9.23 Chicopee Hu Ke Lau. I pretty sure... yup, I'm excited.

T

If Primo is in, so am I!

J

Can't make next weekend for the Hu Ke Lau - but don't let that stop you from going. Sounds like it will be an awesome time!

On Saturday, 10/1, the wife and I would be interested in hitting the Kowloon. I'm guessing like 5 or 6 o'clock - sound good? Just need to talk to my folks and in-laws to firm up coverage for our kids.

Man, too bad about the Kahiki Moon in VT. I was so looking forward to going there sometime. Anyone know why they closed? Lack of business? What a bummer.

[ Edited by: johnman 2005-09-18 15:19 ]

Excellent!! Me & the wahine will be at the Huke next friday. 10/1 at Kowloon might be a problem for me but we'll see. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I think my boss can let me off early enough to go. If not, I'll quit.

P.S. johnman, I wanna go to the Kowloon too but the trip to THE Hukilau is eating up all my dough. I'm on peanut butter and jelly rations--FIFTH big week!

[ Edited by: pappythesailor 2005-09-19 18:45 ]

J

No problemo Pappy. I may wait on going for the same reason (need to reserve the cash flow). I'm going to the promised land, aka California, in less than four weeks and every penny counts right now. Actually maybe we can head to Kowloon sometime after I get back - maybe within the first couple of weeks of November? I should have some cool pictures and plenty of stuff to talk about after experiencing tiki on the left coast. At minimum I plan on hitting Tiki Ti, Lucky Tiki and Bali Hai.

Hope everyone has an awesome time at the Hu Ke Lau!!!

Perhaps what we need to do is sponsor a large event for the national community so the vendors, artists, etc. can come to US for once!

I can envision a "tiki swap meet" where all the Californians bring stuff they found at estate/yard/garage sales and sell it to us for less than what we'd pay on ebay. :wink:

--SBiM

On 2005-09-20 09:35, johnman wrote:
Actually maybe we can head to Kowloon sometime after I get back - maybe within the first couple of weeks of November? I should have some cool pictures and plenty of stuff to talk about after experiencing tiki on the left coast.

Definitely!

On 2005-09-20 09:53, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Perhaps what we need to do is sponsor a large event for the national community so the vendors, artists, etc. can come to US for once!

I can envision a "tiki swap meet" where all the Californians bring stuff they found at estate/yard/garage sales and sell it to us for less than what we'd pay on ebay. :wink:

--SBiM

I don't think the seven of us can pull it off. What can we offer the rest of the country? All our chainsaw artists can only make bears and indians. Coming in 2006... from the 99 Restaurant (formerly the Aku Aku) Hukilau New England. Featuring the exotic polka sounds of Happy Louie (with bird calls added) and some mugs we made at the craft center... oh, it's too awful.

Well, we have a lot to offer the folks who live in warmer climes. You see, THEY provide the tiki stuff, and we provide gorgeous fall foliage, lobster, skiing, history...

I think that most tikiphiles also appreciate other things that they don't have access to on a regular basis.

The theme could focus around the contrast. A little bit of the South Pacific in the North Atlantic.

--SBiM

Primo + 1
TG
Bargoyle + 1
Pappy
okay so the total is 6? I will call a reservation in tommorrow (unless someone has?) for 7 (one extra) for friday 6:30 seating and show.
See you soon!

6? Wow. I did really expect there'd be more of us. Primo, if it's a toll call for you, let me know & I'll call.

B

Its a start. 6 is actaully a good number. I think they can fit us all in one booth. Of course, if you want to be closer to the show, the long tables in front of the stage are the way to go.

Looking forward to it! I'm gonna be in Mass most of the afternoon today, and my travels are going to take me right by the Huke. Might have to make sure the bar is still.... ummmm....fireproof..yeah, thats why I was in there for 3 hours....fireproofing!

For those of with a bit of a ride (Primo, Greg, myself, pappy...hmmm...ALL of us really) there's a little hotel/motel within stumbling distance if needed (I've stayed there once or twice after imbiding a bit too much).

Should be fun. See you at the bar.
Sully

Damn it all to hell! I've just been notified that I need to be in to work early Saturday morning! So it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it Friday. And Saturday is my birthday, so I was hoping to get a little celebrating in early. No such luck. Sorry.

Well, you guys have a good time, hoist one for me, and we'll try and catch the next event.

When life hands you limes...quit your job and make mai tais!

Okay we are all set for a 6:30 seating and a 7:15 show.
I am going to try to get there as early (5:30 ish) as possible to soak in the atmosphere (and beverages).

Sorry you couldn't make it Greg. Kowloon will be next and we'll see you there;)

H

If you drink enough, 6 looks like 12.

Have a great time, guys, I'm so glad to see you're getting together, and I wish I could be there. Someday, I'll join you!

Too bad Greg, we'll catch ya at the next unofficial "meeting" of rummies...uhhh..ummm...I mean tikiphiles!

Should be a good time. I may be a bit later than I want to be (wanted some quality time in the bar), but should make the 6.30 seating no problem.

Need to get a rental car after work & not sure how much time thats gonna take. Why a rental car??

Because I got run off the road on the Mass pike and wound up in a ditch with about 3 feet of water in it. Insurance company is totaling my car....doh!!

If anyone wants to see a C230 full of mud & water, I'll post some pics. heh heh.

Ahh well, its why we have insurance, right?

See ya all tmrw night.

Sully

Was that you off Rte. 122 in Millbury this morning?

B

Wasn't me Pappy, this happened yesterday. Was pretty much out of site of traffic (being down in the ditch & all). Cop said he'd never seen anything like it, and had his wife bring him a digital camera to take pics (for his own personal use)! He said he was gonna post em on the mass pike website, but i havent seen them there.

I shoulda gotten his email, I'd like copies of those.

They hadta use a CRANE, with straps thru both side windows to get the car out!

Insurance co is complaining that the tow/crane alone cost over $1000. Something tells me my policy is either gonna go thru the roof next year, or that they'll plain old drop me!

Anyway, just means a hassle to get a rental, find a new car, etc etc...

Means I prob wont be at the Huke for too much bar time before the show (just when I need it most!!) but i'll be there, come hell or highwater.

Did you spill your drink? just kidding

TikiGreg, johnman, Quincy, Granite Tiki, Suffering Bastard--wish you could all be there tonite

Thanks. It's a little far for me. Kowloon is a lot closer. But tomorrow morning I have to go north to the Common Ground Fair, so there's only so much driving I want to do.

Have fun!!

--SBiM

J

On 2005-09-23 04:26, pappythesailor wrote:
Did you spill your drink? just kidding

TikiGreg, johnman, Quincy, Granite Tiki, Suffering Bastard--wish you could all be there tonite

I hear ya Pappy. I so wish I could make it tonight!

Have a great time and get ready for a bash at the Kowloon in early November. Details to follow...

Aloha!
JohnMan

In retrospect, I guess I needed a plan to find you guys. I did have lots of fun watching non-stop Hurricane Rita coverage at the bar tho'. This was harder and less fun than I thought!

B

pappy! did you make it?? I got there kinda late & just went up to the matre'd and told him i was looking for people to join, but i wasnt sure who/where they were...he lead me right over to the table with primo & his wahine. Figured if you aksed, he woulda done the same for you. Too bad man. Dinner & show were great. You watch the sox game at the bar? did ya stay long enough for karaoke to start? we left soon after that. I saw your pic in the "post pics of yourself" thread, so I was on the lookout for ya. Next time maybe we all need to wear red carnations or something! heh heh We'll plan better for the Kowloon.
Sully

I was working. But I certainly hope to make the Kowloon get together.

J

Glad to hear some of you made it to the Hu Ke Lau. It looks like it was a party of 3 + 1 castaway (lost in the bar - there are worse places to get lost Pappy:). I'm certainly planning on making it to Chicopee to check out the place based on what I've read.

Its probably not too early to start thinking about the Kowloon date. I figured sometime in mid November. Maybe Saturday the 12th or 19th? Starting sometime late afternoon - early evening (between 5 and 7). The wahine and I can probably do the Friday on those weeks as well if that works better for most of you.

Thanks for kicking this off guys! It was a small group to start but it was at least it was something.

On 2005-09-23 20:50, Bargoyle wrote:
pappy! did you make it?? I got there kinda late & just went up to the matre'd and told him i was looking for people to join, but i wasnt sure who/where they were...he lead me right over to the table with primo & his wahine. Figured if you aksed, he woulda done the same for you. Too bad man. Dinner & show were great. You watch the sox game at the bar? did ya stay long enough for karaoke to start? we left soon after that. I saw your pic in the "post pics of yourself" thread, so I was on the lookout for ya. Next time maybe we all need to wear red carnations or something! heh heh We'll plan better for the Kowloon.
Sully

I left shortly after the show started. I figured I was sober enough to drive and I was in a pretty foul mood at that moment and thought I could still make it home for the game at least.

B

Sorry man.

When me n' da wahine got there the show had already started (or at least the warm up show was already going...prob around 6.45 +/-)

Too bad man, I was looking forward to throwing some back with ya.

I'm thinking for the Kowloon I'll bring a big sign or something that says "TC" on it. I'll just park myself outside, under the A-frame, and wave the sign 'till everyone meets up.

Primo took a ton of pics of the show on friday, so hopefully he'll post some of em!

I think Saturday works better for me for the Kowloon. We thinking lunch? dinner? brunch?

J

Hey Bargoyle - Saturday is probably my best day too - no work and plenty of sitters for the kids. I was thinking dinner at at the Kowloon around 6 maybe?

Anyone else have a time/day preference?

B

The 8th or 22nd of oct both look good for me. Leaning more toward the 22nd, but I can be swayed either way.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies