Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

T

Hi all - as an early Holiday gift I've decided to share some pix of a little field trip BigBro, Sabu & I took to visit Jim Casey last week.

For those of you who don't know, Jim is a sculptor with an incredibly diverse background. He attended Chouinard Art Institute in the 40s, was a musician & took up carving when he was in the Navy! Due to his friendship with Pacific Ocean Park concept artist Dave Constable, one of his first sculpting jobs had him creating virtually everything (with the exception of the main entrance) at P.O.P. in 1957.

Here he is hacking tikis out of telephone poles...

And the finished result:

![](http://www.christophermerritt.com/Blog/JimCasey/POP 19.jpg)

I had met Jim before, while doing research on P.O.P. and had found some unique things in his backyard. So I asked BigBro & Sabu if they'd like to play hooky this Wed. and drive out to visit Jim. We all met up at the Del Mar Vista Lanes Coffee Shop for lunch first. Here we are looking at old P.O.P. clippings - (not seen here, Sabu's awe-inspiring, multi binder volumes of Polynesian themed tiki bars & restaurants).

Here's the coffee shops difficult to photograph tiki, standing guard out front:

After lunch, we all piled into BigBro's car and drove to Jim's.... Ja Vol!

BigBro's radio has the coolest logo ever on it:

Anyway - Jim has some pretty neat artifacts from his carving days in his backyard & I knew BigBro & Sabu would be interested.

His backyard has some cool tiki carvings, some of which I know were at P.O.P.

Anyone recognize this guy? No - not Sabu, the guy on the roof...

Here he is after many years exposed to the elements...

Give up? How about this character?

No - not the German Urban Archeologist - the bird?

Yep - Jim carved all the decor for the rarely photographed Aloha Jhoe's (see pages 28 & 29 of The Book Of Tiki)... Here's a couple of vintage photos from Jim's scrapbook.

Here's the bird again, taken from the roof:

Sabu also discovered a rare Witco sword hanging on the side of the garage...

Also out of Jim's scrapbook, he did these cannibal heads that once rested on the top of sticks at the entrance to P.O.P.s Banana Train Ride:

It turns out that Jim did a lot of carving for various restaurants and hotels in the 50s & 60s. Here are some more pages out of his scrapbooks showing tikis for P.O.P. & Steve Crane's Luau...

After our exploration of Jim's backyard, we came back in to talk & look through his "source files" he used back when still sculpting.

Here's BigBro with a nice photo from New Ireland, I believe. When he unfolded it, Jim said, "I haven't looked at that in 40 years!"

Here's Sabu looking through a super-rare 'Cargoes By Carter' catalogue...

And lastly, here's Jim today with some of his sketches for a tiki carving, done in the 60s most likely....

Hope you enjoyed the photos as much as we enjoyed taking them! Thanks again to BigBro & Sabu for playing hooky with me!

Happy Holidays everyone!

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-12-03 16:56 ]

B

WOW!!!
Thanks for sharing this outing. What a trip. You guys had to be in tiki heaven.
happyhappyhappy

UB

Thanks Tangaroa!
I really enjoyed that.

T

Fantastic! Bravo!

Thanks for the education.

Looks like you guys had a great time, and he sounds like the type of guy who has TONS of interesting stories. Thanks for sharing the pictures of some amazing carvings!

T

Hey BigBro

Having seen that big Sepik-style Tiki in Aku Hall, which we more or less figured out is from the Luau (it is the one seen in the pic you loaned me for TRT page 78, the one all the way on the left of the pic in the foreground), can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook (in the pictures posted above, it is all the way on the right, seen in profile, on the bottom of the two pics of his scrapbook, the pics with the yellow backgrounds)?

I am very stoked to have (probably) found out who carved my most favorite Tiki treasure!

Thanks for all of the research, fellas!

K

Awesome! Thanks!

Ahu

8T

Awesome stuff guys! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

T

On 2004-12-03 18:25, tikibars wrote:
can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook (in the pictures posted above, it is all the way on the right, seen in profile, on the bottom of the two pics of his scrapbook, the pics with the yellow backgrounds)?

Can you post a pic of it? I have hi-rez scans of the portfolio, I could compare them...

P

Wow ! What a treat, thanks so much for this great post !

F

Much enjoyed and appreciated!

J

This may be a little off topic - but what kinda car is Sven driving?

A 1960 Buick LeSabre. Last year they made it with fins. Great underrated jet design on that car. Known as "Das Boat" among my friends. Had it for 20 years.

Hey BigBro

Having seen that big Sepik-style Tiki can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook.

I am very stoked to have (probably) found out who carved my most favorite Tiki treasure!

I would say it is likely, since Jim knew and did work for Stephen Crane. The one for the Luau had bird carvings on it's head though. The one in the photo is very clean. But the style is very similar, it makes sense. If we go back, we should have a photo of your baby and show it to Jim and ask him if he carved it.

What an incredible post! Thanks for sharing your field trip with TC. I lived in Santa Monica at the beach one street over from Ocean Park for many years & vaguely knew about Pacific Ocean Park (P.O.P.), the old pier & theme park that was long gone by then. It was a great old venue that has long since vanished from the general public memory, kind of like "The Pike" in Long Beach.

I imagine that Jim had some tales to tell. I hope we hear more about Jim's stories... here on TC... or maybe in a book someday...

A-A

R

On 2004-12-03 22:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
A 1960 Buick LeSabre. Last year they made it with fins. Great underrated jet design on that car. Known as "Das Boat" among my friends. Had it for 20 years.

A VERY cool car! Looks like this

And a very cool post! THANX!

Thanks again to Tangaroa for putting together this nice little field trip. Jim in his wheelchair was the nicest man you could care to know and benignly let us wander about his property, touching his precious things, and peppering him with obscure questions about tiki history. I had that same feeling I have around Bob and Leroy at Oceanic Arts - that I was very fortunate to be in the same room with an old tiki master and wished I could have spent a whole day there, asking him questions.

Unfortunately, our trip was far too short, but I came away with a rejuvenated passion for the tiki history that's still out there.

Here are a few more photos of Jim's surreal, jungle-like yard. At night, this place would have given me the creeps, because his non-tiki sculptures are so lifelike.

![](http://images.snapfish.com/3425379523232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2323%3D797%3D555%3D323279746462%3Bnu0mrj[img]
[img]http://images.snapfish.com/3425379523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2327%3D999%3D33%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23236%3A6556%3A46ot1lsij)

A giant Babe Ruth, pointing at the wall

Various heads among tongue-like tree roots

A great old sign from, (I believe), a Tijuana Taco restaurant

V
virani posted on Sat, Dec 4, 2004 3:47 AM

Thanks a lot for that trip. fantastic pictures and story.

B

Tangaroa, thanks for the extra pic's. Jim Casey is a True Master who carved Beautiful pieces. I wouldn't have time enough left in my life to begin to learn what he forgot about carving. I am truelyin Awe.
Thanks again.

B

Wow! Thanks for the post guys. What a talent Mr. Casey is. Aloha Jhoe's seems facinating to me due to the lack of info/photos (with the exception of BOT). Nice to know who did the carvings. Sabu.....any interiors of AJs in your collection? As a child our family spent more time at Pacific Ocean Park than Knotts or Disneyland. Very Cool.

Amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing guys -- this Urban Archaeology stuff is what I enjoy the most. I only wish was there with you guys!

T

On 2004-12-03 18:55, Tangaroa wrote:

can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook (in the pictures posted above, it is all the way on the right, seen in profile, on the bottom of the two pics of his scrapbook, the pics with the yellow backgrounds)?

Can you post a pic of it? I have hi-rez scans of the portfolio, I could compare them...

Seen in the Aku Hall, it's current home, the tiki can be viewed on Critiki, here (the big one in the center of the first picture):

http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=494

In it's original home, the Luau, it can be viewed in Tiki Road Trip, on page 78.

Mahalos!

D

tikibars wrote: here (the big one in the center of the first picture)

James, is he the one looking so dignified with the dainty lampshade on his head?

Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing the pictures and story with us!
Sorry about hitting that darned edit button Tiki_Bong, I just can't go cold turkey...baby steps!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-12-04 21:29 ]

T

On 2004-12-04 21:07, DawnTiki wrote:
tikibars wrote: here (the big one in the center of the first picture)
James, is he the one looking so dignified with the dainty lampshade on his head?

Yeah, I guess he had too much to drink.

Things get a little nutty at Aku Hall from time to time...

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-12-06 17:29 ]

T

Seen in the Aku Hall, it's current home, the tiki can be viewed on Critiki, here (the big one in the center of the first picture):

http://64.81.235.211/cgi-bin/pictures.cgi?loc_id=494

To me - that sure looks like the same carving! I can send you a higher rez scan of the tiki in question on Monday - but at first glance, that looks the same to me! There is a note on that page of the portfolio that says "Steve Crane's Luaus - Sheraton Hotels - 1959-60"

Tanga, sabu, big bro,
did he do any sculpting for disney? Some of those heads remind me of the graveyard sequence in the haunted mansion ride.

Maybe I'm crazy...no...I know I'm crazy, but maybe I'm wrong. Just a thought, and sorry about the non-tiki question.

Thanks for posting more pics sabu! This guy Jim (who has an awesome first name...) Casey sounds like an amazing person!

T

Yes - he did sculpt for Disney, but it was Jungle Cruise rehab stuf in the 60s , and a lot for Epcot, as well as some for The Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour at Tokyo Disneyland. Sorry - no Haunted Mansion!

T

On 2004-12-05 07:04, Tangaroa wrote:

There is a note on that page of the portfolio that says "Steve Crane's Luaus - Sheraton Hotels - 1959-60"

This MUST be it then!

Very cool.

Thanks for your excellent work.

N

Tangaroa,

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed your post. It sounds like it was a very special day for all of you. Very cool!

T

I'm sad to report that Jim Casey passed away yesterday.
However, he did go in the company of his family and friends, and felt no pain along the way...

I will miss this extremely talented sculptor, musician and all around great guy.

Best to you Jim, and thanks again for sharing all you have...

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about Jim Casey, The photo's of his work are incredable, and now he's gone. But he's left all of us with some great carvings and images! A blessing that folks will be able to enjoy them for years to come.

B

Awesome archeology work, guys. This dude has a true low-brow comic style of carving. I love the carvings that have just a little paint, but aren't doused in a million colors. And the tones on this guy's color are still very... er... technicolor looking (for lack of a better description).

Keep up the great work.

Brian

T

Thank you BC-Da-da!

I love what you are doing with the Dumb Angel blog - I'm actually goiing to track down a long time friend of my parents, who had a house since the 40s on Balboa to see if she has any photos that might help you with the blog/magazine... WHo knows - maybe she has vintage interiors of the Prison of Socrates!

T

Wow. What an awesome thread. Thanks for bumpin it up... The signifcance of the people on this website continually amazes me.

B

Thanks a million, Tangaroa!

Have you seen our newest blog? I was going to subtitle it, like "Dr. Strangelove"..."Newport By the Pier... or... How to Become Popeye"

[ Edited by: BC-Da-Da 2006-03-16 15:42 ]

WOW!
Amazing stuff! What a privilege it must've been to go and visit Jim and his wonderland of carvings.
Since his passing, where did his stuff go? It's a shame to lose track of such gorgeous art. I hope his family kept it and will preserve it.

I just found this post buried in the TC archives and had to resurect it....amazing urban archeology!

Jim Caasey's talents must be honored by the Tiki community some how......
Maybe a nice Tiki mug inspired by some of his wonderful fiberglass sculptures!?!

Can Tangaroa please repost his pics from that day too?
I'd love to see them! :)

Tikinomad, so Casey is the guy who did that face? I liked it so much when I first saw it on TC that I carved my own six inch version of it! It sits in my office:

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 8:37 AM

Jim Casey's work for P.O.P. has been a personal favorite of mine since the 60's. I'm happy to read that this is true for many other T.C.'rs as well.

I have painted(and will continue to paint)images of Jim's work from P.O.P. when reference photos surface - I have painted several in this series so far. If anyone can refresh this thread with additional photographic material I for one will be Thankful for that.

Bigbro, Sabu or Tangaroa - do you guys have photos of your meeting with James? Please post if you do. Thanks in advance!

I wish I could have met James Casey personally, but I did not meet Tangaroa until a year or two after Casey's death....Tangaroa being my "in"......Ahhrrrggghhh!

Bongo Bungalow I love the replica of the mask that is in the Polynesian Village at WDW that you carved! I don't think Casey did the mold for that one though, that image is just a fun "signature" that I sometimes add to the bottom of my posts here on TC. (I know it's kinda big, sorry....)
I took it while on vacation down there a few years ago with my wife and son. In fact I tried to document every Tiki that I saw while on my visit on their property! I found several Oceanic Arts carvings among them, it was a lot of fun!

Please guys post some more pics of your visit with Mr. Casey when you can....ma halo! :)

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2009-09-10 10:05 ]

Here are some of Jim's own sculptures, artsy shelf-sized little things.

Kreepy Tiki was friends with him and owns one, posted it here somewhere, I believe...:

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 6:55 AM

Bump!!

Aloha.

Is it possible that somebody can re-post the pics of the meeting with Casey?

Thanks in advance. G

T
twitch posted on Thu, Aug 5, 2010 2:58 PM

Second this.
Where's Tangaroa? I'd love to see the original pics, and I'm sure many others would as well.

I third it.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2011 3:24 PM

Today I came upon a newspaper clipping from the Santa Monica Evening Outlook dated 1958 - focusing on James B. Casey carving tiki totems for Pacific Ocean Park(this article may well have been shown here in this thread back in 2004, I don't know.)

I thought the clipping should be posted here for the benefit of James B. Casey / Pacific Ocean Park fans of T.C.

Carving Pacific Ocean Park Poles
Makes Him Pier's 'Biggest Chiseler'

By REED McCLURE

James B. Casey is a man who
lives with a bad joke, an out-
rageous pun.
It's all because of his job on
Ocean Park Pier.
Casey is an artist with an ax.
Using the double-bitted tool of
lumberjacks, Casey is chopping
out totem poles which will deco-
rate the "South Seas Island"
when the Pacific Ocean Park
Inc., family-style amusement proj-
ect, opens July 1.
When Casey is at work he is
surrounded by wood chips.
Hence the joke: "Casey is the
biggest chiseler on the pier," his
fellow employees say.
Casey, 39, a former musician,
orchestra leader, law student and
television director, is a profes-
sional woodcarver, with a studio
in North Hollywood. His work-
not totem poles- has appeared in
a number of exhibitions and cur-
rently is on display in Westwood.
Right now, he is converting
Douglas fir pier pilings into to-
tem poles. He carved one pole
out of a rotten water-soaked pil-
ing and it looks older than the
authentic articles from the South
Seas.
Casey has found that a hefty
ax is useful in roughing out the
poles. This is the first time he
has used an ax on a woodcarving
project-and he has the blisters
to prove it.
The ax-swinging woodcarver
has done some research into the
subject and he believes his
products have the mark of au-
thenticity, He points out that he
only follows the style of the old
islanders and does not copy exist-
ing poles.

Could Buy Poles

Pacific Ocean Park could buy
totem poles being made today in
the South Seas. But the Twentieth
Century has caught up with
Polynesia.
"Those cats are pretty com-
mercial," Casey joked. Their
work has suffered. It's not as
good as it was in the old days
when the poles "had a lotta guts,"
according to Casey.
Two of Casey's poles will deco-
rate the bridge which will span
the waterfall at the entrance to
the South Sea Island. The island
is billed as a major attraction at
the end of the pier.
Heading the South Sea Island
concession is C.V. Wood, former
vice president and general man-
ager of Disneyland, according to
Jerry Conway, POP publicity di-
rector.
A feature of the island will be
a "banana train ride." A tiny
locomotive will push small open
passenger cars around the island
and through a volcano.
Passengers, Conway said, will
be startled by earthquakes and
volcanic explosions. Man-made
monkeys will throw coconuts at
them. The coconuts will miss,
of course.

Surprises Planned

This is just part of the ride.
There will be some more sur-
prises, according to Conway.
Casey, armed with his ax and
clad in a lumberjack's shirt
(it gets a little chilly these days
out in the unprotected end of the
pier) doesn't look the part of an
artist.
He doesn't act like one either
when he is describing his work.
"It's just a matter of getting
rid of the wood you don't want,"
he explains.

T

I was watching I-Spy reruns on Retro TV (over-the-air in the San Francisco Bay Area and on Dish Network) and caught an episode from 1966 with a long scene at Pacific Ocean Park including many close shots of the poles. What was the Polynesian restaurant on the pier that is visible in the episode?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0609453/

Pages: 1 2 67 replies