Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas, Mexico?

Pages: 1 34 replies

I may have a very short time next August in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Would anyone know of any tiki in those places?
A search of TC for Puerto Vallarta reveals that:
Lake Surfer found puffer fish for sale.
Tiki Goddess found "Burro's Bar" (not tiki).
A TC search for Mazatlan revealed...well, lets just say that RevBambooBen and his intestinal contents were violently parted.
A TC search for Cabo San Lucus reveals nothing.

I found no tiki when I was in PV in 2000... though the downtown area ( El Centro) has a great "old time Mexico" feel to it... donkey pulling cart, cobblestone roads... etc. I would suggest staying away from the modern area of Nuevo Vallarta just because it is so resort oriented and it is just an old filled in swamp... go downtown to the mercado to get some great deals on stuff...

There are PLENTY of pufferfish to buy... and they don't have those dumb plastic eyes glued to them like you find in the states. The best place I found was where I mentioned... it is along the River Cuale on a path where other little shops are. A hut full of puffers and they are huge. Talk them down from their original price though, as with almost everything sold in PV you can bargain with them and they expect that.

Enjoy... I loved PV and would like to go back again someday...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-10-19 07:57 ]

While in downtown San Jose Del Cabo (well worth the visit), I remember seeing a big old-looking Tiki-style mask on the exterior of a little bar on a strip of shops (near the town square). I didn't immediately investigate, intending to get back to it later (evening) but ended up missing it all together.

It's not Tiki, but it's tropo...A place outside of Mazatlan called Stone Island. If you want to travel back to "1965 Mexico", this is the spot.

You can horse ride for 1/2 the cost of a ship excursion, also get a 8.00 garlic shrimp feed so big it's hard to finish.

Let me know if you would like details on how to get there, it's really really fun. They have palm huts with hammocks a few feet from the ocean, and 1.25 beers

Also check out Cruisecritic.com for ways to smuggle booze on board, and who to tip to get your money's worth.

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-10-19 22:34 ]

bump ...and is it legal to bring a pufferfish back into the US?

SoccerTiki and I are stranded in Puerto Vallarta for the next 8 days....Our Tiki Trek to find Tiki has begun. Keep your your eyes open for pics to be posted soon.

Ooooh...fun...if anyone can find tiki in a foreign land, it would be you two. Que tengas suerte!!! :D

V

I didn't see much tiki while in PV but I came across the most amazing multi laired cliff house restaurant with an intricately woven high ceiling thatched roof. The name of the place escapes me, but it is where they filmed the movie "Night of the iguana". The view was spectacular and the place itself was nothing short of amazing.

On 2007-11-21 15:40, WooHooWahine wrote:
SoccerTiki and I are stranded in Puerto Vallarta for the next 8 days....Our Tiki Trek to find Tiki has begun. Keep your your eyes open for pics to be posted soon.

Here's what we've found so far....
Palm Tree Shadows in the Pool

Lots of thatched ceilings

CocoLoco Coconut Drink with 7 different Rums

Masks on the wall at Brasil Steakhouse

We couldn't leave home without our Tiki Farm Mugs

Three more days to find Tiki. Keep your eyes open :)

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2007-11-25 15:49 ]

Looks like you are having fun on your tiki quest. Those really are beautiful masks on the wall though. :)

T

Great pics! Drink a mai tai for me!

Mahalo,
John

Our Tiki finds today......
We found a shop along The Malecon full of Aloha Shirts

This Tiki was in the shop too

The restaurant at The Santa Barbara Hotel had this beautiful Bamboo Chandelier hanging

We found this abandoned Palapa Bar with a Bamboo Bar inside

We will continue our search tomorrow Aloha & Hasta Luega

T

I'm really glad that you actually have some mugs in front of you.

T

Great find! Soccer, you able to take the bar home with ya? Great find on the shirt. Have fun and try not to get your name on the terrorist list!!!!

Tikitatt

On 2007-11-25 17:44, Tikitatt wrote:
Great pics! Drink a mai tai for me!

Mahalo,
John

Would you settle for some Racilla (Moonshine Tequila?)

Sometimes is all in the name.....

T

What? Soccer Tiki passed out? Is he burned by the sun or high blood pressure??? Looks like you are having the time of your life!

Wish the Mrs and I could be there with you.

John

I didn't find anything decently tiki on our Mexican cruise in 2005, but I did run across these unpleasantly graffitied masks on a small bar near Cabo Wabo in Cabo San Lucas.

Here's the crappy little bar.

A presumably Aztec statue lords over a beach on the Sea of Cortes.

Masks for sale in a street market in Cabo.

Masks for sale on a jungle trail in Puerto Vallarta

VonTiki, is this the place you were talking about? It was part of the Night of the Iguana set. John Huston built a house nearby.

Here is another part of the set, up the hill from the bay.

Some more P.V. finds......

Tiki Torches at MEGA Supermercado for 78 pesos ($7.35 US)

Cuban Rum

Hawaiian Pizza

Tiki or Not Tiki???

On 2007-11-22 09:10, VonTiki wrote:
I didn't see much tiki while in PV but I came across the most amazing multi laired cliff house restaurant with an intricately woven high ceiling thatched roof. The name of the place escapes me, but it is where they filmed the movie "Night of the iguana". The view was spectacular and the place itself was nothing short of amazing.

La Jolla de Mismaloya is where they filmed The Night of The Iguana. The restaurant you are talking about was called John Houstons (It has closed down :(). Here's some pics of that area:

SoccerTiki and I are setting sail on The Golden Princess tomorrow afternoon out of Los Angeles for a 7 day Mexican Riveria Cruise. Our search for Tiki in Mexico continues...

While in Mazatlan we found this store full of shells, puffer fish of all sizes, and some tiki masks too.

In Cabo, SoccerTiki not only found The World's Smallest Bar, but once he turned on his Mai Tai radar we found a few more tikis and a Tommy Bahamas store too.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-03-22 21:00 ]

WoooHooo! Soccertiki and I are going to be stranded in Puerto Vallarta for the next nine days. Our Quest for Tiki in Puerto Vallarta continues.....Stay tuned to see our finds :)

Great! Let us know when do find any Tiki ! :)

I'll be in Puerto Vallarta for a week at the end of December, so I'd be very interested if you find anything worth checking out! My wife found this tour for us, as I'm a big fan of pirates: http://www.puertovallartapiratetours.com/index.html
It could be a fun way to spend an evening!

Puerto Vallarta = The Land of Palapas, Thatched ceilings, & Lots of Bamboo :)

Our search for Tiki in Puerto Vallarta continues.....WoooHooooo!

The thing I don't understand is, Soccer is drinking lots of drinks with ice..I thought that was a big "no-no" in all parts of Mexico?

he can just pull those wee lil shorts aside
if Montezuma,Moctezuma, Moteczoma, Motecuhzoma, Moteuczomah...
(however you spell it!)
seeks his Revenge!
comprende?

Montezuma's Revenge is the best cure for a hangover! Have fun, im jealous

LLT we posted that at the exact same time

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2010-03-14 10:36 ]

1-2-3...
NOT IT!

:)

WoooHoooo! It's 5:00 somewhere????

WooHoooo! Our Search for Tiki in Puerto Vallarta continues....Stay Tuned!!!!

BV

The North Bay Rum Bums had an event on a beach town called San Blas. It's two hours notrth of Puerto Vallarta. It was "Thanksgiving on the Beach" The main Host was a bar called The San Blas Social Club. They had "Tiki week" in our honor. They had a rum tasting evening with cuban rums that you can't get in the states. (I bought some yummy 15 year Havana Club.) They had a poker run with bicycles -riding from bar to bar- that was hosted by Billy Bobs Cantina (with Fluffy the Aligator -a huge live beast thats the bar's mascot) . We had a traditional thanksgiving dinner in the tiki lounge on the square. It was a great week! Check out the pictures. August is off season for this sleepy surfer's town but if you do go, stop by The San Blas Social club and Billy Bob's. Tell them Victor sent you. :wink:

Me in the Mexican hat.

"Fluffy" Billy Bob's gator.

The poker run is about to begin!

The tiki lounge Turkey dinner this way!

traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Cute seƱoritas

not so cute.

San Blas is a quiet beach town of local fisherman, American surfers and great X-pats. The San Blas Social club is fun . It's the most Tiki I experienced in Mexico. Hope this helped!

Our Search for Tiki Continues Once Again....Stay Tuned.

Pages: 1 34 replies