Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Ventura/LA, 4/13-4/22/24

Pages: 1 6 replies

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Apr 2, 2024 10:22 PM

I will be heading to California in a little less than two weeks, primarily to attend the TCM Classic Film Festival, but also for some tiki things.

Flying into Bob Hope on Saturday, 4/13, and going to Ventura for a few days; on the itinerary is my first visit(s?) to VenTiki. Then starting Tuesday 4/16, I will be heading to LA, staying not far from Tiki-Ti, so that I can stumble back after spending Wednesday evening there. Haven't worked out all the details yet to schedule a return trip to Tonga Hut, plus first times to Tiki No, CanTiki, Broken Compass, and/or Lucky Tiki.

If you are in the area and interested in and available to meet up, please let me know.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, May 21, 2024 7:55 PM

Here's a recap of the tiki parts of this trip:

I made it down to The Lucky Tiki after flying into Burbank, then went to VenTiki on Sunday and Monday nights. Started my passport, so I definitely will return.

IMG_0054

Monday was especially great, because Elvis was behind the bar, and he poured a toast to TikiRob. I also met Julie (second from left at the bar) and her mother, Sharon (to the left of Julie). Sharon lives in Fort Collins and was a philosophy major, too, and we had a great chat. Then when I mentioned that I'd missed the Aloha on Main store when it was open, Julie, who happens to work there, took me over so I could look around. This is why I love tiki.

IMG_0058

Tiki-Ti did not reopen that Wednesday, so instead I went to Broken Compass and Tonga Hut for one drink each. At the Hut, I ordered the Rum Barrel and was told that they'd literally just received new mugs that day, after waiting for them for a year, so I believe I was the first to get one.

IMG_0237

The tiki highlight of the trip was without a doubt returning to Tonga Hut Thursday to meet up with GROG, "Krakatoa Kevin", and PineappleWhip!

IMG_9773

[ Edited by Hamo on 2024-05-22 23:23:09 ]

I was honored to have the chance to see you Hamo !!! Especially that you took some time off from the film festival to meet up at Tonga Hut. It was a great bonus treat to see GROG.

Still crossing my fingers that you can make it out to Tiki Oasis SD this year Hamo. Possibly you want to do round two of Tiki Central gathering in your room??

Looking forward to the next time we can get together; unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it won't be at Oasis this year.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, May 22, 2024 10:57 PM

Almost forgot to include a link to the Tiki Finds post about the thrifting I did, where I picked up some great aloha shirts!

WHOOPS--too much to drink tonight, I guess (and too many trips to California...?). I found the shirts during my most recent trip to Orange County last week, where I met up with my parents at the end of their two week vacation through the state. I did do some thrifting in Ventura but didn't find anything tiki, just a great vintage necktie.

[ Edited by Hamo on 2024-05-22 23:30:31 ]

Hamo understood, but, still bummed. Til the next Tiki event !!

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 26, 2024 9:55 AM

It was great hanging out with you guys at the Tonga Hut! GROG like!

thumbsup

Pages: 1 6 replies